jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (13 posts)

anyone had the swine flu yet

1. getpaidtopost profile image61
    getpaidtopostposted 7 years ago

the uk is seeing over 100,000 new cases each week, they say this number will be over 1 million each week by the end of August. My family had symptoms last week, And are now ok, I now feel I may have the swine flu and have most of the symptoms. Anyone else had the swine flu yet?

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Here in Sydney (where it's winter so we're in the middle of the normal flu season anyway), authorities are saying that most people here who've got the flu, actually have swine flu.

In 99% of cases it's milder than the normal flu, so most people don't even go to the doctor and aren't being tested.

1. getpaidtopost profile image61
        getpaidtopostposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for that Marisa, reassures me a little. The UK is just full of news, scare mongering. smile Wish it was an auz winter here, fed up of this dam rain smile

2. Drew Breezzy profile image80
    Drew Breezzyposted 7 years ago

No but I know of someone with it hmm

3. 0
    ryankettposted 7 years ago

My cousin had it and was fine within a week, just had to stay in and take some medicine.

Im not the slightest bit worried about catching it, because im young and pretty fit... most cases are mild. Im more worried about my elderly grandad catching it, he is already very sick so can't see him recovering in the same way.... in fact that petrifies me.

4. 61
    terio.bostposted 7 years ago

its just the medical scare of the year. have you ever notice the media will build up some small desise every year then people start to realize you have a better chance of dieing from a common cold?

5. Lisa HW profile image84
    Lisa HWposted 7 years ago

A little perspective (foisted upon me through rotten experience):  A week before the first case of H1N1 was found in the US I got some kind of "flu type" thing that turned into a horrendous upper respiratory thing.  I spent the rest of April and May feeling horrible and not having much of a voice, and all of June feeling only slightly better.  Just when it started to seem to be clearing out I got a some kind of Hives thing associated with it and had that up until the middle of this week.  So, I haven't been myself since the very beginning of April.  This thing isn't H1N1, and it isn't anything that anyone is talking about in the news.  It's just said to be a "common virus" that people tend to get in Winter or Spring.

As far as I'm concerned, if this kind of thing is floating around and not making the news; I can't be worried about a flu that most people have for about a week without much in terms of serious consequences.  I'd like to see a little talk on the news about all the "common viruses" that have people sick for months.   hmm

6. ecoggins profile image93
    ecogginsposted 7 years ago

You know I don't know for sure but I think my wife and five children had it back when it was first announced. Their symptoms had already come and gone when it was first announced back in the spring, but they were strangely similar to the symptoms described by the various news agencies.

7. Lisa HW profile image84
    Lisa HWposted 7 years ago

Just tonight on our news (Massachusetts) it was reported that three people have recently died from H1N1, but it was again stressed that these were people with other medical conditions that placed them at higher risk for complications from the flu.  To me, that makes H1N1 no different from any other flu (at least from the standpoint of anyone who gets it or another flu) that comes around each year (at least for now).  Something like 36,000 people die in the US each year from flu.  Unless something changes with H1N1, I can't make myself be too concerned with it.

1. 0
      Sidney Rayneposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Brilliant point...and glad to see you call it by the proper term as well...no offense of course to anyone else.

8. Bredavies profile image72
    Bredaviesposted 7 years ago

In the US they don't even talk about the Swine Flu anymore as for as I know..?

1. 0
      Sidney Rayneposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Sure they do...anything negative the media here can get their meat hooks into to garner publicity in any way. roll

1. Bredavies profile image72
        Bredaviesposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I strongly agree! the media is mostly drama and bad news!