jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

What Am I Doing Wrong?

1. Et al... profile image83
    Et al...posted 7 years ago

Hi All,

I love writing hubs bc I love to write and help others. However, I would like to make more than about $50 in 2 years. I am curious what I am doing incorrectly?

I've noticed a few successful people writing product reviews that seem to have lifted text from the descriptions. Does this have to be the way to make money?

I don't want to post a hub unless it's truely informative. I feel I have hubs with real information in them and they pull up in Google - I come up first if you google "Tissue Paper and makeing it look good in gift bag" or something similar. I have had a number of comments on that hub...but very few comments on others. I suppose I need to go out there and look at what other's have written and comment on their hubs. Will that help?

Thanks for any advice you have.

1. Mark Knowles profile image60
      Mark Knowlesposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Unfortunately, if you want to make money, you have to write about subjects that attract both advertisers and readers interested in the advertiser's products. You can still write product reviews and have some fun and be informative though.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Five-Best-iPhon … h-headsets

I would consider using text lifted from product descriptions to be a complete waste of time and I do not see how anyone makes any money doing that.

2. 0
    pgrundyposted 7 years ago

I make OK money (not nearly as much as Mark!) through sheer volume. I write about one article I don't care about (in other words, the ones people read most) out of every four. The other three of those four are on things that actually interest me, and while they aren't usually big moneymakers some of them do pretty well over time because I've built up a readership.

I see you've written 31 hubs in two years. Make that 310 and you'll see a monthly Hub Pages check even if they aren't all product reviews. If you're as smart and hardworking as Mark you'll see a BIG monthly check.

This month I should see close to $250 between two sites, one of them HP, and I'm working on making that number bigger. Lissie and Mark do even better by focusing only on lucrative stuff and promoting their hubs really well. smile

I think you really have to like to write to do this. Or at least, you have to be able to write a lot, all the time, and spend half your life online once you've written it. I don't know of an easy way.

3. Journey * profile image87
    Journey *posted 7 years ago

Hi et al, $50 in two years does seem unusually low. I would suggest that you check and make sure that google ads are appearing on every one of your hubs. They are the biggest earner, above Kontera, Amazon and ebay in my opinion. Did you sign up with google immediately when you started with HubPages two years ago? If not, that could be the reason earnings have not accumulated yet. I think that the key is to keep writing more articles like pgrundy said.

4. Et al... profile image83
    Et al...posted 7 years ago

Thanks everyone! Really helpful advice. I have a 9 month old and contract part-time (2x a week) so that is why I am low in my numbers. I think I can definitely put forth more effort though. I had lost interest during it when I was pregnant. I am definitely back into it now though.

I have a blog on my favorite subject- elearning. Do you think it would be a good idea to copy my blog posts and make them Hub Articles as well? Is that ok to do that? I could then link them to my blog too.

I just signed up for Krontera today. I signed up for Adsense when I first started. I am going to go back through and choose more relevant Amazon products for my existing hubs, and I'm going to do some product reviews. I'll have to start thinking of things I like and use. I have mostly been in the "how to" mode when writing my articles. I think I'll try to follow your advice pgrundy and write one review for every 2 or 3 hubs I wrote on a specific topic that interests me.

One more question: If I have a hub that's been viewed about 7500 times in since mid 2007- are these numbers low or high? It's my most popular hub and it's the first one I wrote. It gets large amts of traffic around holiday season bc it's about putting tissue paper in a gift bag.

1. Ultimate Hubber profile image81
      Ultimate Hubberposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Don't copy as your hubs with copied content even if it is yours would be marked as duplicate and won't get you much targeted traffic.

1. Et al... profile image83
        Et al...posted 7 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for the heads up regarding that. I appreciate it.

5. 0
    pgrundyposted 7 years ago

7500 is lots of folks. Good on you!

My most viewed hub is around 30,000 and the ten under it between 6500 and 10,000.

Good luck! smile