jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (13 posts)

The first two weeks of August are the most popuar US vacation period

1. 0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 7 years ago

So it may very well cause us much angst and conjecture as we wonder about traffic, clicks, and sales.

After 10 years of online marketing I should know it passes. But it still drives me crazy and makes me doubt every one of my marketing strategies.

1. Drew Breezzy profile image80
      Drew Breezzyposted 7 years ago in reply to this

That explains everyone I know being out of town.

Does it really affect traffic?

2. Ultimate Hubber profile image80
      Ultimate Hubberposted 7 years ago in reply to this

So this is why my traffic just nose-dived. hmm

2. Rik Ravado profile image92
    Rik Ravadoposted 7 years ago

Yes its even worse in Europe - Cities like Paris virtually shut down for the month and everyone stays in the country _ certainly my earnings have dropped in the last week of July...

3. Mark Knowles profile image60
    Mark Knowlesposted 7 years ago

Yup. July and August are the worst months for me. Still, November and December make up for it, so all in all it balances out. smile

4. 0

That's true Mark. I've already be thinking about what will sell this Christmas season. (Trying to keep my spirits up.)

1. Mark Knowles profile image60
      Mark Knowlesposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I got lucky last year and picked inexpensive iPhone accessories. Should work for this year as well, but I have not decided what to do this year yet. Needs to be done by end of August though. smile

5. Drew Breezzy profile image80
    Drew Breezzyposted 7 years ago

Oh cool to know. I'm new so I'm not really making anything thus far so it doesn't really affect me.

6. 0

About 5 years ago I optimized an entire site for telescopes being the best gift to get girls and boys interested in Science. The day after Thanksgiving a toy expert was on the Today show and said the same thing. It was a wonderful Christmas Season! Not so much when the economy tanked two years ago though.

1. Mark Knowles profile image60
      Mark Knowlesposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Yeah - I have had a similar experience with 2008 motorcycles. Oh well - some you win, some you lose. sad

7. Lisa HW profile image82
    Lisa HWposted 7 years ago

I had a horrible ten-days or so in July.  At first I just thought it was the holiday, but it stayed crummy well past that.  After the first half of the month, though, things picked up and caught up my July earnings to be comparable to other months.  In that first week or so in July I was starting to think my Hubs had just "run their course", and that was it unless I came up with another big bunch of new ones.  It's good to know if they slump in August that's usual.

8. girly_girl09 profile image79
    girly_girl09posted 7 years ago

Very true. It did puzzle me because my views were down only 20% (you'd think it'd be more with summer vacations), however then I realized that my Yahoo traffic is severely down (Google is only down about 10%), but Yahoo has a much higher CTR for earning...In addition, advertisers must be spending less as they're saving their money for the 4th quarter when they know for certain that consumers will be spending more on the holidays and also, why spend more money if you know a lot of people aren't at home sitting in front of their computers? A lot of my clicks have been greatly reduced in price (but not all, so I know I'm not smart priced)...it's just by certain topics.

Collectively, I believe the two factors of vacation/summer and less advertiser spending are what have cut my earnings in almost half the last 15 days or so. I'm still pleased with my earnings, but I can't wait for the holiday months! big_smile

9. Reggid profile image60
    Reggidposted 7 years ago

You said it right! "US Vacation". I live in Montreal,Canada and this summer, I mean there was no summer AT ALL. Just had to express my feelings. lol