jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (13 posts)

Associated Press charging $2.50 per word for republishing articles

1. darkside profile image85
    darksideposted 7 years ago

But Associated Press says, "We are not targeting bloggers".

Even though one blogger got an automated charge for publishing the words of a former president.

Read more here.

2. relache profile image86
    relacheposted 7 years ago

Did you read how the Associated Press is also charging people to quote text that they don't own... like in the public domain?

It gets even sadder here.

1. darkside profile image85
      darksideposted 7 years ago in reply to this

2. lakeerieartists profile image80
      lakeerieartistsposted 7 years ago in reply to this

You'd think that they would try to adapt instead of hanging on by their fingernails.

3. frogdropping profile image84
    frogdroppingposted 7 years ago

Seems folks won't be so much making money (on the net) as paying it out if they're not careful.

And yes - sad.

1. livewithrichard profile image85
      livewithrichardposted 7 years ago in reply to this

True and if the AP doesn't come up with a better model to assure it is only charging for content they own they're going to be repaying a whole bunch of people in damages when the class action comes along.

4. wrenfrost56 profile image82
    wrenfrost56posted 7 years ago

Surely a quote is free knowledge? It's a fact and education, it's not a patent, no one owns the words?

5. ngureco profile image87
    ngurecoposted 7 years ago

Associated Press charging $2.50 per word? This is laughable. How do they impliment it?

6. Jenny30 profile image59
    Jenny30posted 7 years ago

Thats crazy!

7. anime_nanet profile image61
    anime_nanetposted 7 years ago

Phfeww, thank god AP is not into Anime, or my latest anime quotes hub would have me bankrupt!

8. 0
    Leta Sposted 7 years ago

Is this for real?  How the h* is anyone supposed to write anything?  I've never heard of this.  THE AP??

9. Dame Scribe profile image60
    Dame Scribeposted 7 years ago

Next thing words from the dictionary and thesaurus tongue geezz...talk about desperate and greedy hmm

10. Uninvited Writer profile image81
    Uninvited Writerposted 7 years ago

I took it to mean that if you take an article from AP without at least rewriting it you will be charged, because after all that is stealing. However, if they are going to charge for quotes that is a different story...

And after reading that article on BoingBoing I am shaking my head, good luck making that stand up in court...