jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (13 posts)

Backlinks Redux

1. lrohner profile image85
    lrohnerposted 7 years ago

I've been reading a lot on the forums here lately about the importance of backlinking. So I've been linking to my hubs from my other blogs (when relevant - not gonna put a link to a hub on ceramic blow dryers from my foodie blog!), and been going the Digg, Reddit, etc. route.

I just discovered that supposedly most of those sites (Digg, Del.icio.us, Reddit, Twitter, Technorati, Spurl, etc.) are NoFollow links. That means I've been wasting my time, correct?

I also found out that there are a few DoFollow sites that I've never heard of before, like BlinkList.com, Backflip.com, Mister-wong.com and others all with a homepage PR6 or higher.

How can you tell if one of these sites is legit? Could it hurt to try them? Any suggestions?

1. Misha profile image74
      Mishaposted 7 years ago in reply to this

All of them are good. And the rest of socialmarker list, too:)

And backlinks NEVER can hurt you. Some of them are useless, but not hurtful. smile

2. Dame Scribe profile image59
    Dame Scribeposted 7 years ago

I joined a site which implemented that nofollow for links too but I still get traffic and not sure why, lol. I would imagine sites that have a PR6 are in good standing with G since they have a PR. big_smile no expert here though.

lrohnerposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Me either, Dame. But from the eensy weensy bit I know about backlinks, a NoFollow means they don't follow the link, therefore they don't find your hub -- I think.

1. relache profile image87
        relacheposted 7 years ago in reply to this

"nofollow" means "hey, search engines crawling this site, be sure to ignore this link here"

Most of those sites do that to discourage people from promoting their own work, which is not what sites like Digg, etc are meant to do.

And remember too that HubPages has been banned from lots of social networking sites due to people spamming them with crap Hubs or just lots of Hubs.

Thanks Relache. I'm not talking about just HubPages though. I found a site SocialMarketing.com that 'supposedly' automatically submits your hub/page/blog to about 40 different sites, but they do have a filter for DoFollow sites only. I then activated SEOBook's "highlight NoFollow links" and pretty much confirmed it. So Digg's links are NoFollow from what I can tell, as are Reddit's, Technorati's, etc.

3. Haunty profile image85
    Hauntyposted 7 years ago

Be sure to link only from quality sites. Links from sites that have no value do more harm than good.

And that's what I'm trying to figure out, Haunty. All of the sites I've looked at that have a DoFollow have a PR 6 or higher -- or at least their homepages do. Don't know how to qualify them further.

And White Teeth Monkey Person smile, I'm okay with search engine traffic and quick indexing. But until I'm #1, I'm always looking for better rankings.

4. White Teeth profile image61
    White Teethposted 7 years ago

It depends on what you want backlinks for: traffic or search engine ranking or quick indexing.

All "no-follow" means is that the search engine does not give you credit for the backlink when ranking the backlink target, but normal traffic still follows the link.

5. livewithrichard profile image86
    livewithrichardposted 7 years ago

First off, some sites choose to place a nofollow tag where they will get the most spam. Social bookmarking sites often do this but there is a way arround the nofollow.  Digg for instance has nofollow on the links you bookmark, however if you create a profile you can place anchor text links inside the "about me" section and they are dofollow links.  Don't believe me?  Try it then view the page source for your profile or go to my profile which is also Livewithrichard, and see for yourself that the links are dofollow.

I just went to my Digg profile and double checked because I wrote a hub last week that is a Guide to Backlinks and in that guide I give 8 dofollow High PR sites for free and Digg is one of them.  I also show you how to make anchor text links and explain as much as I can about backlinks.

I'd be happy to explain more if anyone is interested.

6. lrohner profile image85
    lrohnerposted 7 years ago

Thanks, lwr. I will follow your advice tomorrow. Does that mean that sites like Reddit and the others are garbage?

7. livewithrichard profile image86
    livewithrichardposted 7 years ago

No they're not garbage they all have value.  I wouldnt put all my efforts into submiting my hubs to all those places.  I haven't checked them all out for time reasons but if the profile allows you to place an anchor text link that is dofollow then by all means take advantage of it.  Submitting your hubs to those sites will get you some traffic but as soon as your news becomes old news then what are you left with?  Your anchor text link.  That link will contain a keyword phrase that when searched for on a search engine will give weight to whatever it is you are promoting.  I suggest promoting your profle here on hubpages if you have no other websites to promote.  From your profile, all your hubs are linked.  Now if you want to promote a certain hub then give it a special placement inside your profile description for a period of time and see how that affects your page views.

8. Ultimate Hubber profile image79
    Ultimate Hubberposted 7 years ago

NoFollow back-links do help increase your Search Engine Rankings.
    That's what I have written about in this hub: http://hubpages.com/hub/Nofollow-Links