jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (11 posts)

word count

1. Marye Audet profile image93
    Marye Audetposted 9 years ago

I know this has probably been discussed before-just point me in the right direction..other than writing on a word program and copying ot Hubpages is there a way to get a word count on hubs? It would be helpful in the writing of Flagship Hubs especially

2. Isabella Snow profile image88
    Isabella Snowposted 9 years ago

I was just thinking of asking this one.

I know theres a tool for it.. maybe they could let us see it in our stats?

3. Lissie profile image88
    Lissieposted 9 years ago

I always write the words for a long hub offline in openoffice - Ive had too many problems with stuff disapearing when i write in the text capsules - happened again last night - If you write offline you will get better spell checking as well - I've decided to write in English spelling for hubs about non-US topics and American for the others so  I need to change dictionaries - I cant spell in any language!

4. Lissie profile image88
    Lissieposted 9 years ago

I always write the words for a long hub offline in openoffice - Ive had too many problems with stuff disapearing when i write in the text capsules - happened again last night - If you write offline you will get better spell checking as well - I've decided to write in English spelling for hubs about non-US topics and American for the others so  I need to change dictionaries - I cant spell in any language!

5. Isabella Snow profile image88
    Isabella Snowposted 9 years ago

I think most of us create our content offline. This feature would be particularly helpful for when people update their hubs and add or remove more than a few sentences.

1. Jerrico Usher profile image61
      Jerrico Usherposted 9 years ago in reply to this

Whats the appropriate length of a hub in general (for SEO) and hub parameters. I realize you can write to your hearts content but what is generally a good size (in word count)? I just wrote a 36 page hub but may not release it like this, I was thinking actually of segmenting it by headings (each heading is about 2 pages in word) which are focused conent on their own which leads to the rest of the hubs theme.. I like the idea of doing this and adding a navigation link set (link to all the parts of the whole hub split into series of hubs for shorter per hub content and a better over all exposure of ads).. but if I were to put up a long hub what would be a good size to cap off at to appeal to the reader who likes to read long hubs and still maintain the reader who doesnt?

6. Lissie profile image88
    Lissieposted 9 years ago

Flagship hubs are required to be 1500 words -  sometimes  I get to 2000 - anymore I think is too much - there is no way for readers to skip down a hub to the section that interests them  - I would split anything longer into multiple hubs and maybe include a link to others in the series. the SEO marketers always say about 200-400 words for an article but I'm not convinced - most of my topics are too trivial at that length

7. Stacie Naczelnik profile image89
    Stacie Naczelnikposted 9 years ago

Patty Inglish does a great job of writing about a huge subject, but cutting it into different hubs.  Check out this one: Preparing for an Interview and see how she links to other hubs on the same topic.

thank you!

I just released a long one but I feel it all needed to be in there.. course I know I need an editor too lol..

8. William F. Torpey profile image82
    William F. Torpeyposted 9 years ago

Mark Twain, famous American writer, to a friend: "Sorry for the long letter. I didn't have time to write a short one." It's my favorite quote.

I love it!

working