copyright infringement icon on my Account & individual hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (16 posts)
  1. premsingh profile image62
    premsinghposted 14 years ago

If any content of the hub is being copied by someone and used elsewhere, its not the fault of hubber. This is nice that HP is motivating hubbers to file DMCA to the concerned site and take appropriate action,who is going to waste time to fight with the copyright violators. HP has witnessed disabling of several top hubbers account as an act of revenge. Please don't highlight copyright violation information on individual hubs and on "My Account Page". HP didn't help hubbers even for reinstating their adsense account by recommending to google that these are good hubbers and they can't be expected for violating policies.  I thinks its sufficient to inform the hubbers once that their content of their hubs has been copied elsewhere. When HP is having all the information and can verify date of publication of a hub on HP and date of publication on other site, why threatening hubbers/obliging them that their hub or hubber score is not being penalized, create a sense of unnecessary guilt in hubber's mind. In few cases , HP's stand can be justified also. Best example of this may be when hubbers are themselves placing their content on other sites but such cases are negligible.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've only had to file three DMCA's and they all worked.  Premsingh, have you actually tried filing a DMCA - it only takes a few minutes.

I read your profile and your Hub about copyright violation and it sounds like you're trying to deal with it by complaining to advertisers.  Why not file a DMCA?

If it's on a site like HubPages wher members post articles (e.g. Bukisa, Weebly etc) you can file the DMCA with the site owners, and they'll usually remove it.  If that doesn't work and the site uses Adsense, you can report them to Adsense.

2. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 14 years ago

I don't think you actually understand how the copyright alert works.

When you see a copyright icon on your Hub, YOU are not being penalized and neither are your Hubs.

As far as who fights with copyright violators, I'm one of them and I'm very grateful that HubPages makes it so easy for me to contact people and ask them to not steal my writing and get it taken down from other web sites.

Hub authors CAN place their content on other sites, it's just that in the long run, that might hurt the standing of your Hubs in the Google rankings.  And they have to be willing to then ignore the little red copyright icons on their dashboard.

Now if you take work you've had elsewhere FIRST and then copy it to HubPages, you're taking your chances.  Whereas HubPages will merely dock your HubScores, there are a good number of members in this community who are just waiting to attack and vilify people in the forums if they are perceived of as stealing content.

3. Whitney05 profile image82
    Whitney05posted 14 years ago

It's not HubPages job to track down people who copy from HubPages. The people who write on this website own their material, so it is the person's responsibility to track down and speak with those other people who stole the content.

I for one have contacting numerous people. Some get nasty attitudes, others realize their mistake, and some never respond back. I have a nice list that I'll be sending to Google DMCA soon for those who never replied back and those who don't have a contact button or contact info anywhere on the site.

Forums are a big problem for me. Where people copy my hubs onto other forums... Those are harder to get removed, I've found.

Anyway... It's not HubPages responsibility. They've done a big favor by alerting us that our content has been stolen. Most placed don't even do that.

It's also not HubPages fault that some people have had their Adsense accounts closed. They can only do so much, and in my opinion the HP team does a lot more than most websites do.

4. darkside profile image64
    darksideposted 14 years ago

premsingh seems to be making two conflicting points in the same post. I don't understand where they're coming from.

1. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this

3 out of 4 Hub users agree....

5. premsingh profile image62

thanks relache for nice explanation of working of copyright alert. You really deserve appreciation for fighting against violators. I also did it once and still doing but I've to pay heavily once for it. Darkside, hope you understand my position why do my statements seems conflicting (I know it very well that HP is doing to help hubbers protect their content but this is a burden also to part time hubbers like me).
    whitney05, I am not asking HP to take responsibility of guarding the content of hubs. I'm just requesting them to use the copyright alert in a mild way. Message should not create a guilt in the hubber's mind.
    Merisa I agree with you. I also filed DMCA to few sites. One of the sites have three different blogs (with same or different titles)copied from my single hub. It has already removed two and one still live.

1. darkside profile image64
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It was the wording of your post. It sounds like you're unhappy with HubPages HQ on one hand, but praising them on the other.

There's no guilt on my part when I see one. If you know what it's about, there shouldn't be a problem. It'll only create more confusion to be too wordy...

"© Don't take offense to this, someone else has violated your copyright. Or maybe they haven't. Maybe you have posted the information elsewhere. Which is fine. We're not going to get mad at you, we just wanted you to know just in case someone has done the wrong thing and you want to protect your interests. Have a nice day"

...and it'd look unprofessional if they threw in a smiley face...

© smile

2. Whitney05 profile image82
      Whitney05posted 14 years agoin reply to this

You just sounded like it was hubpages fault and like you were blaming them. It's just your own responsibility to deal with it.

The sign is just to let you know that someone may have copied your stuff. Doesn't mean you did anything wrong.

3. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What are you talking about?  Why would anyone get "guilty" after getting an alert that someone else took their writing? 

I don't know what you are trying to say, but to me, it's not coming through in an coherent/understandable manner.

4. Marisa Wright profile image86

If the copyright symbol creates guilt in your mind, that's your own doing.  You are choosing to feel guilty about it - HubPages is merely telling you that a duplicate exists.  There is a simple solution to your problem - stop misinterpreting the symbol!

6. premsingh profile image62

Thanks to all for explaining the essence of copyright sign display on the hubs. Everyone said the copyright sign is just an alert. After noticing this alert I filed DMCA with a site that hosted three blogs identical to my hub. I am sure if these blogs were not copied from my hub, the site would have never removed all three blogs after receiving DMCA notice. However, copyright sign is still displayed on my hub. I know HP will remove it when it verifies it next time (It may take few weeks). My hubber score (I'm not worried about as I can not keep it 100 always for other engagements) has come down to 85 from 94 after appearance of copyright sign or/after starting this thread.

1. sunforged profile image71
      sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It will jump back up!..as if it matters

1. premsingh profile image62
        premsinghposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks sunforged, I came to know from other thread that hubber score of majority of huubers has gone down due to a bug in the new release (program upgrade) of HP.

7. Bard of Ely profile image80
    Bard of Elyposted 14 years ago

I get annoyed by people who copy and paste my hubs onto blogs and forums and often I find it impossible to get them removed even if I join the forum and post a complaint in a thread. It annoys me most when my name is left out and no link back to where the text came from and I have had that done. I personally cannot find the time to be chasing people who do this and do not answer my complaints and I have come to accept that it is just an annoying problem we have to put up with!

I think it is good of Hubpages to let us know when this happens though!

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

Bard, the solution is not to post a complaint on the thread - hit them with a DMCA notice.  It's usually quite simple - make one up from HubPages' instructions so you just have to fill in the blanks! 

If the blog is on a blogging platform like Blogger or Wordpress.com, or an article writing site like HubPages or Bukisa, it's really easy because you just send the notice straight to the site, not to the author.  They'll make the author remove the dup content and may even remove the whole blog.

This article also gives some tips:
      http://www.seologic.com/faq/dmca-notifications.php

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)