jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Question Regarding Tags

1. Et al... profile image82
    Et al...posted 7 years ago

I am confused as to exactly how tags work? For instance, I wrote a hub on building a crooked playhouse. Now let's say I added these tags (I'm numbering them so we can refer to them easier in course of discussion thread):

1-"How to build a crooked playhouse"
    2-"Building crooked playhouse"
    4-"play house"
    5-"crooked playhouse"

OK, here are my questions:
    -On tag 1, do I need to have the word "a" in the phrase or does it matter? Should I have another tag with the word "a" removed?

-Should I bother entering tags 3 and 5, since they both have words that have already been used in tags 1 and 2?

-Do I need to have another tag that says "Build crooked playhouse" without the "ing" on the end as I have it on tag 2?

Has anyone written a hub on this? It sure would be helpful.

2. relache profile image86
    relacheposted 7 years ago

in regards to your questions,

1) search engines eliminate words like "a," "the" and the like in most of their search strings so don't bother with those in tags

2) I try and keep repeated keywords as low as possible as there's always been a mythological unknown number that different engines use to start to think of you as keyword stuffing.  Since the SE algorithms aren't disclosed, no one really knows.

3) maybe

3. freelanceworld profile image60
    freelanceworldposted 7 years ago

Hi et al
    1) Same as relache said.

2) Same as relache said.
    Just that you can use those esp when u have very less tags.. When you are close to maximum number of tags a hub supports and have added these almost same tags..thats definitely "keyword Stuffing" and main important search engines will want you to pay the price.

3) Yes, i think, you should.

Regards smile

4. Et al... profile image82
    Et al...posted 7 years ago

Thanks to you both for your feedback. I think I'll go revise a few tags in my hubs. I did luck out and am coming in 4th on Google with crooked playhouse, but apparently not alot of people are searching with the same phrase that brings me up 4th place.

1. lrohner profile image84
      lrohnerposted 7 years ago in reply to this

You are correct in that hardly anyone is searching for the term. I usually use one of the keyword tools to find similar searches. I just put 'crooked playhouse' into Google's keyword tool and while people aren't searching for that term, they are searching for 'preschool disney', 'disney playhouse', 'house play', 'disney house play', etc. You might want to think about doing some keyword research to find the proper tags.