jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)

Age requirement

1. 0
    Janettaposted 7 years ago

I have heard and read numerous times that the minimum age requirement here is supposed to be 18. Why are there so many hubbers signing up and getting accounts when they are obviously under age? They are stating their ages in their profiles. I saw one today that is 16 and two yesterday that are 17.
    Isn't there a way to make it more difficult for anyone underage to sign up?? Stricter requirements perhaps?

1. Drew Breezzy profile image80
      Drew Breezzyposted 7 years ago in reply to this

because kids are dumb

2. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 7 years ago

Notify the Hub team when you find those accounts.

3. SweetiePie profile image83
    SweetiePieposted 7 years ago

On the other hand some underage people probably lie about their age anyway so they can participate on the site.

4. gamergirl profile image61
    gamergirlposted 7 years ago

Between the kids who lie, and the parents who are Hubbers who willingly either allow their underage children to use their accounts to publish on - or let their children sign up under their own account, there's no real foolproof way outside of some kind of AVS(Age Verification Service) to weed out the young'ns.  It's against the ToS for any Hub Author to be under 18, if I read it right, so emailing the Hubpages Staff is the best option you have to report those profiles.

5. AEvans profile image74
    AEvansposted 7 years ago

There is a little disclosure that HP good use when a person signs up that states, you must be 18 and then they have to click on I accept taking the liability away from HP, just a thought. smile

1. wesleycox profile image84
      wesleycoxposted 7 years ago in reply to this

This is a good idea.  If they click the I'm 18 or over button, then hubpages is protected from any liability.

1. Panda Man profile image60
        Panda Manposted 7 years ago in reply to this

It should have done that when I signed up. I'm one of the examples of the victims. Lol. It's a good thing I typed my name wrong. Yes, I admit it is my fault that I didn't read the whole thing, I think most of us didn't bother to do that, because mostly it's all the same rules and stuffs, if it's anything important, we thought HubPages would state it in bold, underline, and stuff.

HubPages should add a warning button before all sign ups, stating that authors must be over 18, but you can participate in other activities on HubPages. The T&C only states author requirements, not member requirements.

Besides, why can't you reopen closed accounts??? I do appreciate that you only unpublish my hubs, so that my work won't be all lost, especially the Chupacabras one.

Well, anyway, I just dropped by. big_smile You might see me around from time to time, like any panda, but you won't see me active until mating season (4 years later). big_smile

2. AEvans profile image74
        AEvansposted 7 years ago in reply to this

They certainly are. smile

6. Pearldiver profile image86
    Pearldiverposted 7 years ago

Perhaps there could be a junior facility for future writers as a seperate (completely) facet of the business?

Though I guess one or two would choose to join that site from here & lie about their ages? smile

7. Dame Scribe profile image61
    Dame Scribeposted 7 years ago

Good thang my sons are legal age tongue lol ...they cruise around in HP reading, exploring and learning, then of course, yap to me for hoursssssssss about something or other, lol lol but exposing them is my ulterior motive to think ...independence big_smile p/t monies, wink etc... smile