jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Back surgery?

1. 0
    Crazdwriterposted 7 years ago

I am going to be going to the doctor soon to ask for an Xray and maybe MRI because I am seriously contemplating of getting back surgery.  I have a hub on what I have but for those who haven't read it, I have kyphosis of the spine.  I have had years of back exercises and chiropracter visits but still I am in pain most days in my neck and back because of it. And if I want kids, I need a strong back but I don't. I even have a hard time picking up things. Not even supposed to pick up heavy things such as kids but as a Preschool teacher I do.

So I have been reading up on back surgeries and of course am scared.  There is even laser surgery that I am reading up on.

Has anyone else ever had back surgery for any kind of back issues? Any advice for a scared person who is thinking about doing it?

1. Davinagirl3 profile image60
      Davinagirl3posted 7 years ago in reply to this

My husband has Ankylosing Spondylitis and it is excruciating for him to get out of bed every morning.  I guess the degree of pain would determine how ready you are for surgery.  I am going to have to read up on your condition, but if you have tried everything else, I would really consider surgery.  You don't deserve to be in pain all the time.  You should be able to enjoy your life to the fullest.  Once you find out all the risks of surgery, you can make more of an informed decision, but personally, I would look into it.  I know how awful back pain can be.

2. Anti-Valentine profile image94
    Anti-Valentineposted 7 years ago

My brother was thinking of having back surgery, but he was put off because he heard from someone else who had it that they opened him/her up from the front to work on the spine.

The doctor said if he would just lose weight he wouldn't have to have the surgery.

3. elainevc profile image61
    elainevcposted 7 years ago

I know what its like, even though i might not have you same condition. I suffer from scoliosis (thatrt when your spine is curved) and have undergone the back surgery. I understand the fear you are going through but listen to me.. Don't worry too much, it wont get you anywhere. My operation went well, i had a great surgen and my scar isnt such an eyesore either. It's something that had to be done in order to live a better life smile I have definetly improved my way of living with much less pain than in the past, 6years ago that is. I wont lie to you, i still have my good and bad day when it comes to back pain, but its definitivly and improvement. Have courage my friend smile

1. 0
      Crazdwriterposted 7 years ago in reply to this

thanks! and yea kyphosis is also known as hunchback....it curves way out then way back in at the bottom. It's a pain in the ass whenever I get in acar accident, thankfully only 2. And also when I go on rides at theme parks because my spine curves out a lot and hits the back of the rides...owie lol

I will read more about it and talk to a doctor. Thanks again for your story as well as some courage. :-)

4. 0
    Crazdwriterposted 7 years ago

Thanks Davinagirl3. tell your hubby I'm sorry he has to suffer as well. And yes definitely going to read more into it.