Evolution of Hubpages?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (54 posts)
  1. marinealways24 profile image60
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

Since your time as a member of hubpages, do you think hubpages overall has evolved or devolved?

2. BrianFanslau profile image60
    BrianFanslauposted 14 years ago

I have not seen much in the form of change in the last 5 weeks other than I've noticed the regulars and the battle of the spammers ensue

marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

How about the religious and political arguements? Do they not seem to go in circles?

3. BrianFanslau profile image60

yes. They will always go in circles since few are really focusing on the core religious beliefs and instead focusing on the interpretations.

lol even that statement has controversy. Everyone disagrees to agree rather than agree to disagree.

4. profile image0
    Janettaposted 14 years ago

started out great--fantastic and fun
    turned crappy--boring and redundant
    slowly getting better...maybe

lol Excellent description. I agree.

5. RedElf profile image89
    RedElfposted 14 years ago

I really believe this place is what we make of it. So far I have heard a lot of whining and complaining (not here - in other threads) about this and that ill, or this and that slight, and what it really comes down to for me is this: this is a great place to write and publish. You wanna whine and complain and look for things to gripe about? You can. You wanna make money, you can - you wanna just write, you can. You wanna do it all? You can do that too.
    We are the ones who make up this place, and if we allow ourselves to become petty and miserable, we are the ones who will suffer for it. There's room for everybody, but no place is perfect - not with people in it wink
    I find that the more I apply myself to writing and chatting up interesting people in the forums, the more I enjoy myself here.

So as a majority, do you think hubpages has evolved or devolved?

6. livewithrichard profile image74
    livewithrichardposted 14 years ago

I don't think it's evolved since I've been here.  It's pretty much the same and you get out of it what you put in.  I see a lot of the seasoned members getting annoyed at newbies asking questions that have been asked dozens of times... but the funny thing is its the same annoyed members that keep stating that instead of just passing on to another thread...  there are a lot of elitist attitudes here that I tend to ignore.

1. profile image0
      fierycjposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah some of the vets in here have this attitude of - hey, look at me, I've been here longer than you, bow down and worship me. - Its absurd really, and I find it quite amusing. Some are quite cool though, like Ghost, Eaglekiwi, Aevans, Sandrarinck, etc quite a number in any case. smile

1. livewithrichard profile image74
        livewithrichardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Every one of those hubbers you mentioned are awesome people and a credit to HP.  And there are hundreds more that you havent mentioned.  I have only come accross a small handfull of elitists here and I tend to stay out of their conversations or not reply to them.  I'm not here for controversy or to make enemies.  I'm here to expand my knowledge and to share my knowledge and if that hurts the sensibilities of some of those elitist, I really don't care.  I know what works for me, what has been working for me and that is all that I share.  I never share anything that I don't try or use myself and I think that comes out pretty clear in what I write.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
          Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I love how you share your knowlege Richard unselfishly and without all the fanfare, its appreciated,even though Ive officially been signed up for quite a few months ,Im still very much a rookie...

2. Eaglekiwi profile image74

Yea Im cool
        Got the shades to prove it cool
        Tis like high school ,in a way
        Bullies and ho-ho's like to play
        Meet some strong real people,thats good luck
        But the real truth  Im here, is to make an honest  buck smile

2. marinealways24 profile image60

I fully agree with you and fiery. Many veterans feel something is owed to them or that an ego must be fulfilled.

1. profile image0

Yeah, and whenever you have a brush off with a vet, all the other vets line up behind their own, and tell you, hey quiet down, dont have an opinion, kiss his or her ass! I get that all time, WHO CARES IF YOU'VE BEEN IN HERE A MILLION YEARS? We're all equal in a virtual world. Gosh, the vanity! Ha ha ha ha ha

Excellent words you added CJ, Ty.

I made a forum thread called "Hubpages Cheerleaders". You would have been amused at how many people fell into the trap of the title. It was a war of hubpages friends against each other. All they were missing was some pom pom's.

1. profile image0

Ha ha ha ha you kidding me! Its a friggin' joke. They're like little kids with the stroking of their egos and all. I laugh. If it was real life, I bet you my life savings many of them wouldn't be half as proud as they are in here. I'm dead sure of it!

lol again, great comment and very true. There is no intelligence to be found in an ego or arrogance.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image78
              Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Says the person who created a forum thread to talk about having a 95 score...

1. profile image0

I thought we agreed you stay out not talking to me. I thought we agreed on that. You've never liked me in here and you've never made any pretenses about it. Whatever Old lady!

2. Zsuzsy Bee profile image86
          Zsuzsy Beeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That only happens when you're looking to pick-a-fight

lol This is not the "only" time it happens.

1. profile image0

I've never picked a fight my whole life. However I'm very opinionted and I never back down. My pops taught me better. Never back down. EVER.

2. Ron Montgomery profile image61
            Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Or if you're African.  fcj will tell you that anyone who says something he doesn't like does so because of the continent he lives on.  Pretty rational really.

1. Zsuzsy Bee profile image86

Good one Ron

7. BrianFanslau profile image60

Lol

8. jcales profile image54
    jcalesposted 14 years ago

devolved. I was told it is informational yet I see a lot of personal gossip hubs. How can that be considered an authoritative site with people's personal lives.
    Personal experiences are the not the type of information it was designed for.

If you put limitations on it, is it free writing?

1. livewithrichard profile image74
        livewithrichardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think too that sometimes we forget that HP is not only a social network, it is a business.  As a business it is here to make money.  Bringing personal stuff into HP also brings traffic as do the "pictures only" hubs. 

A few days ago, I started a suggestion thread to "add a page" function for very long hubs that way we clone the first page and just continue instead of writing a whole new title and tags and everything else... I stated that HP had evolved from its original intent on being an authoratative site by allowing poets and fiction writers, only to be bombarded with vets saying it hadn't evolved.  I mean how can I argue I've only been here 4 months not 2 or 3 years.

2. profile image0

dont really generalize. I've read some pretty good personal experience hubs, like from Ghost. However, its not my thing. I dont discuss my personal life on a hub. Especially really personal stuff.

1. Misha profile image62
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I saw you talking to Ron about goats. I thought it was sort of personal...

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61

Yes, I learned a useful new phrase.   I will use it during my next trip to Africa.

9. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

LOL

10. marinealways24 profile image60

"grabs popcorn",

"and beer"

1. profile image0

lol See how they begin to prove my point already. They stroke each others egos ever so gently. lol

11. Uninvited Writer profile image78
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

That's when I thought you were a poor sensitive soul. But in the past few weeks you have been incredibly rude to a lot of people.
    End of conversation, I'm not going to let you turn another thread into being all about you.

12. profile image0
    fierycjposted 14 years ago

Gawd, its amusing to me how a bunch of adults act like whiny little kids. This is so high school - with the jocks and cheerleaders acting like a cool gang. I pity you all. lol

1. Zsuzsy Bee profile image86

the kettle calling the frying pan...etc

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61

OMG!! don't say it!

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
          Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Don't mention the scarf... big_smile

1. profile image0

And now the vets are complete...bring in your alter-ego Eric now, Mark. Its perfect timing. lol

13. marinealways24 profile image60

lol I didn't write this to start a freaking hubpages war. It's to cause self-awarness. It looks like it is doing the opposite.

14. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 14 years ago

The entire first year of HubPages there were no forums.  If you had any questions, you'd just write directly to the Hub team and they'd get right back to you. 

The function of the Hubs and features have evolved, some of them radically, but as the site has grown, the influx of the mainstream internet population has brought a lot of pettiness and effluvia to the forums.  I'm rather disappointed in how HubPages has chosen to handle that aspect of their community.

Hello, Ty for adding. Please explain the effluvia and pettiness and how you think it should be handled.

15. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Mark is Eric?

But Erics in Tassie aint he?

Froggys in Lisbon

Darksides in Aussie

No one is where they say they are lol

Maybe Im not really here

Oh hell I am

Reaches for Marines pop-corn and sighs why our TV wont pick up any decent TV channels, really was more fun when I lived in a tree ,upside-down lol

lol who needs tv when you have the forum.

kinda like jepoardy

or Jerry Springer lol

1. profile image0
            Janettaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yeah, I'm gonna go with Springer...

less chance of a lawsuit lol

2. Eaglekiwi profile image74

Oh gawd..lol.andy griffith was so much simplier

16. marinealways24 profile image60

lol, things aren't looking good from your responses.

17. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

I haven't been here long enough to say if its evolved or not.

I will say that the newbies and the elitists get beat up on quite frequently.  I find it sad that the newbies get trounced on by people who've been here say 4 months...not sure why they like to trounce, Hub Pages is open for anyone to write. 

I like the forum over all - you can speak your mind. 

I belong to a message board (that I rarely post on anymore), you have to pay $5.00 a month to view the "premium" forums (like religion) and its is so over-moderated.  If you say BOO the wrong way, your thread will be closed in an instant.  They even have on their intro page the "Goodbye" and "Farewell" threads are not welcome & will be pulled immediately - its like a big brother site.

Who has the popcorn now, please pass...big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)