jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)

Do you ever use images from Google?

1. mommyfreelancer profile image88
    mommyfreelancerposted 7 years ago

Or do you really use your own? Some of the images I saw on some of the hubs looked like they were taken off the search engines. Am not very familiar with the policies, and it says that post only images that you have a right to. So I always include the source of the pictures I used from the search engines. Is this okay? Thanks!

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago in reply to this

No, it isn't OK.  All pictures are copyright by the photographer, unless they specifically say otherwise.  So you can't just take pictures off Google Images. 

Well, you can, of course - but think about it.  How do you feel when someone takes your article and posts it somewhere without crediting you?  So why would you do the same thing to a fellow creative person? 

Use sites that specifically state you can use their images, and you'll be fine.

2. White Teeth profile image59
    White Teethposted 7 years ago

If you are writing a hub to make money, you just can't use any image, even if you give credit. Do you want someone to just copy all of your articles, and all you get is a mention?

You have to make sure it is public domain or has a license that allows you to use it. You can click on any image at wikipedia, and it will tell you the licensing terms. You can also search for "public domain" or "creative commons" images.

3. darkside profile image80
    darksideposted 7 years ago

Here's three free stock photography sites to get you started:

http://www.sxc.hu
    http://www.morguefile.com
    http://www.freerangestock.com

Be sure to read the conditions for each site, sometimes the conditions for each photo. All are free. Some require credit to the photographer. Some require that you let the photographer know where it's being used. Some do not.

4. BrianFanslau profile image60
    BrianFanslauposted 7 years ago

Great links Darkside! I try and take my own pictures but often I do not have time and search deep in the annals of the interwebbs for free ones smile

5. Uninvited Writer profile image83
    Uninvited Writerposted 7 years ago

Pictures from Wikipedia Commons are also copyright free, I use them often.

1. Ladybird33 profile image74
      Ladybird33posted 7 years ago in reply to this

This is what I use too.

2. Jane@CM profile image60
      Jane@CMposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Thanks UW!

3. MontyApollo profile image60
      MontyApolloposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Technically speaking they are not all copyright free - many do have creative commons licenses. It means that the creator still retains the copyright, but he/she is granting an open license to use the image as long as you follow the terms of the license. This will sometimes involve giving credit and/or stating what license terms the image is being published under.

Only the public domain images are copyright-free.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image83
        Uninvited Writerposted 7 years ago in reply to this

True, I do look at them to make sure they are in the public domain...

6. mommyfreelancer profile image88
    mommyfreelancerposted 7 years ago

Thanks, all. I am now using all original pictures taken by my husband, though they are not as related to the contents as I would like them to be.

I take note of the sites you mentioned.

7. ktowers profile image60
    ktowersposted 7 years ago

I wouldnt advise you to copy other peoples images unless you have permission, there are lots of stock photography sites where you can download free stock photos which you can use on your hubs

Some stock photography sites to try..

bigstockphoto
    shutterfarm
    istockphoto

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago in reply to this

...but notice that most stock photos sites offer some photos free, whereas others are "royalty free" - meaning you still have to pay something upfront for them, and it's illegal to just copy them off the site.  So make sure you're looking at the right ones!

working