jump to last post 1-15 of 15 discussions (21 posts)

Changing the titles of long established hubs (good idea or bad?)

1. John D Lee profile image88
    John D Leeposted 7 years ago

I just read Ryan Hupfer's very interesting blog post on optimizing your hubs for keywords:

http://blog.hubpages.com/2009/08/hubpag … great-one/

I have never spent much time optimizing for keywords, for better or worse, I have always just written it straight - maybe I have been foolish! Anyway, it does seem that optimizing makes a lot of sense, but should I do it retroactively?

What I mean is, if i have a hub written 1 or 2 years ago, that is getting good traffic now, but that may not be optimized for earnings, should I change the title to improve the CPC on the keywords?  Will I pay a very large price in lost traffic for changing the title, and I guess, starting anew to fight for rankings on different keywords?

I write mostly about food, so the keywords aren't super big payouts in any case!

1. freelanceworld profile image61
      freelanceworldposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I Strongly would not advise changing it now.
      Better to concentrate on Its layout, keyword tags and keywords in content .
      My opinion
      Regards

2. lrohner profile image85
      lrohnerposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I can't see where changing the title is going to hurt you all that much. There's no way to change the URL and having the proper keywords in the URL is quite important.

Tags are important, but as to keyword density and all of that other stuff, has Google changed algorithms again? I thought they stopped looking at keyword density a loooooong time ago? Or at least it isn't high on the list of important things they look at, no?

And Mark, I'll bring the brownies!

2. Mark Knowles profile image60
    Mark Knowlesposted 7 years ago

Good question. I have just gone back through a few of my own recipes, done some research changed the titles, tags and modified the content.

They were all getting pretty good traffic, so we shall see. I will let you know next year. .lol

No body searches for " barbecue hamburgers in November, so it may take that long to find out if it was worth it. This particular one was because I forgot the American mis-spelling of barbeque only to discover that Cue is much more widely searched for and pays far better than Que. Oh well........ lol

3. Misha profile image74
    Mishaposted 7 years ago

You have to cater to the market Mark tongue

1. Mark Knowles profile image60
      Mark Knowlesposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Yeah I know. lol Not my first mistake, and I am sure it will not be the last.

1. Misha profile image74
        Mishaposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Not that I am free from those either. Sometimes it smells that bad I cant' cater any more sad

4. cindyvine profile image88
    cindyvineposted 7 years ago

Could do with a cider and one of your barbecure hamburgers now, Mark!

5. Misha profile image74
    Mishaposted 7 years ago

Oh, sorry, and answering the title question - it does not really have one-fits-all approach IMO. You have to assess what you may lose, and what you may gain, and this will give you grounds to making a decision. smile

6. Mighty Mom profile image91
    Mighty Momposted 7 years ago

I heard Mark was bbqing burgers over here and came by for a taste. Delish! MM

7. Mark Knowles profile image60
    Mark Knowlesposted 7 years ago

I will actually be cooking them this afternoon - all that keyword research made me hungry for burgers. big_smile

8. Mighty Mom profile image91
    Mighty Momposted 7 years ago

Cindyvine will bring the cider and I'll toss together some macaroni salad.
    Sounds to me like we're well on our way to solving the issue of world Hub Pages peace:-).

9. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 7 years ago

I've changed the title of a long-established Hub before.  I didn't lose any traffic, in fact, the results were much improved.

1. AsherKade profile image77
      AsherKadeposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I did that too the other day to my hub
      http://hubpages.com/hub/Do-You-Recogniz … t-a-keeper

it has a new title now...
      sometimes it works, sometimes not...

10. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 7 years ago

There is a belief by some SEO experts that changing the title of a webpage can be one of the most disruptive things you can do to your google rankings.

I've had it cut both ways. If I have a page that's performing well I don't touch the title or meta description. But if one is tanking and other things don't work then I do change it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

11. Uninvited Writer profile image83
    Uninvited Writerposted 7 years ago

I just spent an hour changing some titles and rearranging some hubs, hopefully my time was not wasted.

12. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 7 years ago

The interesting - or scary - thing about making money online is that there are so many variables you really don't know what's working. You think you have it gamed and then it all falls apart. There have been so many times when I thought I was going to be a millionaire....

1. livewithrichard profile image85
      livewithrichardposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I go through that twice a week.  I don't know why I keep buying those lottery tickets big_smile

13. livewithrichard profile image85
    livewithrichardposted 7 years ago

I've changed titles here and on some that have been online for over a couple years.  I only optimized them with my keywords but everyone of them have realized an increase in traffic.

14. jcales profile image72
    jcalesposted 7 years ago

Hubpages and your score is helped when you name edits, improvements to your already established hubs. Why would this hurt?

But can you in fact change the title if the title is sometimes the actual URL link?

BTW, I am craving a BBQ hamburger now.

15. John D Lee profile image88
    John D Leeposted 7 years ago

Thanks everyone, very much, for the replies.

working