jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (20 posts)

What it takes for $50 / month

1. PhilD41 profile image79
    PhilD41posted 7 years ago

Hey everyone.  First let me say that I am here for the joy of writing and sharing what I know with others. (Part of the reason I am not apt to beat a dead hours covered in another post. smile )  Writing is also as far from a full time job for me as dragon slaying.  However, I was curious how much it really took to make a few bucks a month at this.  I have ready many people saying that they didn't make anything until hitting around 20 hubs or so.  So, I have a few questions for you all:

1. Anyone making $50 or $100 a month (and doing this for fun / hobby)?
    2. How many hubs did you have before you saw any income?
    3. How often do you chose hub topics based on what income they might generate?
    4. Did you start here to make money or just for fun?

Okay, so this is just a newbie being curious.  The three hubs I have are averaging around 3-4 hours to write and put up.  I was just curious what the road ahead looked like for a little extra pocket change.

2. 0
    ryankettposted 7 years ago

There are people making over $1000 a month.

What it takes? I don't know yet and it will probably take me a few years until I do. But a lot of reading and practice with SEO/Keywords and a lot of hard work are certainly key ingredients.

3. 0
    ryankettposted 7 years ago

If it helps at all.... I wrote my first hub on 28th June 2009 (about 6 weeks) and have made about $15.

This month I am on course for earning about $20, I can assume that if I work at the same rate for another 12 weeks... then my monthly earnings would probably reach about $50 - $60 a month.

I have put a fair amount of effort into that though, and I know that I can still get a lot better. My first 45 hubs were written with very little SEO knowledge, I read a hub about SEO and my last 5 have been 'optimised' so to speak.

I cant remember what hub it was or who wrote it, but I recommend that you give it a look.

PhilD41posted 7 years ago in reply to this

I have read several on this subject.  I don't know how well I am doing at it, but I read them. smile

2. Eaglekiwi profile image75
      Eaglekiwiposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I seem to make more before I started fiddle fartin around...wish they just made it easier or something.

I guess it will make sense when I understand it better

4. kmackey32 profile image81
    kmackey32posted 7 years ago

WOW I havnt made that much yet, only about 8 bucks. You are doing very well!!

5. 0
    dennisemattposted 7 years ago

there's like, a million posts and hubs about this. It does take time, read Badcompany99's stuff. its pretty helpfull. there's lots more, cindyvine is pretty amazing too. I have made, about 90 cents, so clearly I am not makeing money. There are people who do, just look around some. there is a search option at the top of the page....good luck!!  smile

Thanks dennisematt, I will look up your recommendations.  I have read several articles but I am not sure I have ran into these.  I was also interested in a conversation with those on the forum as to how they got here and what their initial journey was like.  I have no ill conceived ideas that I will be making hundreds or thousands of dollars, nor do I really want to (my priorities are else where right now).  I guess I was just curious to find others that started for fun and managed to do as Mrvoodoo mentioned; combine fun and money.

6. Mrvoodoo profile image60
    Mrvoodooposted 7 years ago

(1) I've been here 4 months and in that time I've made $194 from Hubpages, which I'm quite happy with, and I know others have made more than that within the same time period.

(2) I can't remember but not many before I started seeing a few cents here and there.

(3) 90% of the time I'll have a quick poke about using the Adwords tool before writing a hub to see if there's money to be made, but I don't spend hours researching this.

(4) Money and fun, If possible I like to combine them both.

If you keep writing you'll make money, could be a little, could be a lot, as with many other hubbers I'm often surprised at which hubs get traffic and/or make money.

Good luck.

1. 0
      dennisemattposted 7 years ago in reply to this

ooooops. Hey ther Mr.V!! sorry I forgot to mention you b4. your stuff is good too!!  smile how ya been?

1. Mrvoodoo profile image60
        Mrvoodooposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Hey DM, thanks I wouldn't say it's good, but it's starting to pay , but not enough to slope off and retire on a tropical island yet though.

Good thanks, eating Pasta, chilling and downloading 'The Langoliers' from YouTube, been ages since I've seen that film, should be good.  How you doing?

1. 0
          dennisemattposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I am having a forbidden beer, waiting on a friend, and will have to go look up the Langoliers now. At hte risk of having people "ignore" me, cuz I am way off topic, I ma goign to try silently read soem ohter stuff now.  smile thanks!!

1. Mrvoodoo profile image60
            Mrvoodooposted 7 years ago in reply to this

'I ma goign', don't be so hard on yourself, you're not a 'goign' at all. :p lol

Think that beers going to your head DM, hehe, but you're right people might get mighty cross if we high-jack this thread, enjoy your silent reading. smile

2. PhilD41 profile image79

smile  You are always welcome to be off topic in one of my threads.  After all, that is how conversations go isn't it.  Oh, I too would recommend "The Langoliers."  Very interesting idea, but then again, what does one expect from Steven King.

2. Kadmiels profile image74
      Kadmielsposted 7 years ago in reply to this

good tips here as well thanks for shareing.. i am also starting to learn little by little.. so i might start to write for money but travel is so hard to get into lol so look for hubs that have good keyword knowledge as well as are fun for you to write see where it goes from there

7. 0
    wordscribe41posted 7 years ago

I've been here for 3 months and have made a total of:  $45.79.  It takes time, though.  But, I'm pleased with the start.  I saw income right away, pennies at first until I figured out all about keywords.  I came here for fun AND to make money.  I try to incorporate money making into all my hubs.  If I have an idea, I tweak it a little to make it keyword friendly.  I alwaays write about things I know, have a lot of knowledge about, and feel it's important to share.  I want to enjoy what I'm doing.

8. Whitney05 profile image68
    Whitney05posted 7 years ago

Depending on your topics and the uniqueness of the topics, will depend on how much you make. Well, actually, it takes a lot, and patience is definitely needed in order to see any profit from this.

I think it took about 4 months or so for my first Adsense payout, but it's been monthly since then, more and more each month. It just takes time.

For some it will take nearly a year for the first payout, but others maybe a month.

There are a ton of threads on earning and how much people earn and how they got there. A search would lead you to several. You may want to check those out.

9. mommyfreelancer profile image87
    mommyfreelancerposted 7 years ago

I enjoy writing a lot. I joined up really to make money but I am having a lot of fun, and for now that is all I'm having smile

I've been here for 5 weeks and only made 60cents. I just write what I want to write, I don't even use those Adwords yet - I guess am stubborn smile

Interestingly enough, I can make hundreds of dollars in a day if I work at oDesk, or apply for other writing jobs elsewhere, but for now I want to build my portfolio here.

The next step for me now is how to optimize my hubs, make them revenue-generating. smile

Oops...guess I didn't answer any of your questions. smile

10. 61
    badcompany99posted 7 years ago

Patience and hard work involving not only writing but picking the correct paying topic and studying seo, I wish you luck. In fact I don't because Luck has nothing to do with it, read the right people on here and heed their advice, the rest will come.

11. Treft profile image61
    Treftposted 7 years ago

how can you tell how much you have made?