jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (18 posts)

My Open Apology to Our Bloggers

1. yoshi97 profile image87
    yoshi97posted 7 years ago

Someone said that Hubpages wasn't made for bloggers and I remember adding my two cents ...

'If someone is going to blog and expect to make money here, their life better be VERY interesting'

Well, I saw somewhere in the responses where someone WAS making money from blogging and I had to sit back and think about what I had said. After all, was it fair to address all bloggers as if their lives were being put on the mantle to see how -interesting- they were?

That's when I did a little research on blogging, and I found out how little I knew of it all. For you see, it's not people writing about their lives to make themselves seem more important, but it's about people reaching out and sharing a life that isn't our own ... which can make it very interesting. I should know, as I spent the day yesterday reading a few blogs ... and enjoying the many things that I learned.

As such, I take back my cynical comment (though no one seemed to see it as such) and will instead admit I have learned that blogging is as much a form of writing as any other, as it is a means of self expression and sharing ideas.

Will this enlightenment cause me to write my own blog?

I actually tried to write about my own life before, but it fell into comical drivel and so I walked away from it. Still, I don't see that giving me the right to knock another person's preference.

So if my off-hand remark did offend anyone, I apologize, and I would like to think that I now understand my fellow bloggers a bit more.

And now, I feel a better after getting that off my chest. smile

Now, get back to your writing! smile

1. Mark Knowles profile image60
      Mark Knowlesposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Hey Yoshi - I was not offended and you actually prompted me to write a post on my own blog (which I have sadly neglected since the hubchallenge mania) lol I am always being asked "do you actually make any money blogging?" with a disbelieving look. Or "what is a blog?"  wink

2. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Yoshi, I'm not sure why you're apologising, because you were right.  HubPages is not a place to blog, and I doubt anyone would make money trying to blog on HubPages.

People make money writing quality magazine-style articles on HubPages.

People also make money blogging on blogs.

Two different things.

However, you'll notice the successful bloggers on this thread aren't blogging in the original sense - i.e. writing an online diary.  They're sharing information on a particular subject, which may or may not be an active hobby in their personal life.

2. lrohner profile image84
    lrohnerposted 7 years ago

Well said, Yoshi. My blogs earn me more than I suspect hubs ever will. But they took a lot of time and research. After my first two blogs (started just because of passions of mine), I discovered that you have to find a niche. I did with two of my blogs, and it's been a successful endeavor.

So find your niche. Don't go after diluted keywords like "make money online" and you'll do well.

1. mommyfreelancer profile image88
      mommyfreelancerposted 7 years ago in reply to this

What's your blog site, Irohner? I started a blog about our personal travels, mainly to showcase my husband's photos, but now I am spending more time here at HP smile

1. lrohner profile image84
        lrohnerposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Mine are all foodie blogs. http://globalcookies.blogspot.com is my biggest earner throughout the winter months. My other top one is http://makeaheadmeals.blogspot.com. I have a few more, again, all around "niche" topics (yet all still around food!)

1. 0
          dennisemattposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Yummy!!!!  smile

2. Ivorwen profile image83
          Ivorwenposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Those are some pretty awesome blogs.  The traffic shown on the cookie one is amazing.  No wonder you make $ off of it!

3. mommyfreelancer profile image88
          mommyfreelancerposted 7 years ago in reply to this

You've chosen your niche well! Yummy!

3. Insurance Guy profile image60
    Insurance Guyposted 7 years ago

I just visited your blogs and am wondering!!, how do you really make money through blogs? I already got a blog and i barely get a visitor hmm, any tip would be really helpful smile.

4. Insurance Guy profile image60
    Insurance Guyposted 7 years ago

And btw my blog is <no links please!> if you would like to see it and tell me if there is something wrong am doing there, thnx smile.

5. goodfriendiam profile image60
    goodfriendiamposted 7 years ago

Hey I didn't see the post, but it takes a real person to say there sorry and not always right.So I commend you on this. Happy blogging, and the funny stuff about our lives is worth reading to some. smile

6. Uninvited Writer profile image81
    Uninvited Writerposted 7 years ago

Mark is a professional blogger, he makes a nice living at it...

7. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 7 years ago

I have read several of the Hubber's blogs.

lrohner's blogs are yummy! 

Mark's are well thought out, witty, and you can see he has a gift to write.

Why do I read other peoples blogs?  To better myself!  I can gain insight from their writing & learn from them.

Clearly, these are not blogs that have been written over night, but are well thought out, clean, easy to read. I can see how they would be able to earn money through their blogging efforts.

8. 0
    sandra rinckposted 7 years ago

Yoshi, you gave me a warm fuzzy. smile  Your a people lover! na na na na!  People love! big_smile  I love people lovers too. big_smile

1. yoshi97 profile image87
      yoshi97posted 7 years ago in reply to this

Yeah ... I kinda got this thing where I always try to see things through the eyes of others (unless their serial killers ... I don't want nightmares). smile

9. Cls1321 profile image60
    Cls1321posted 7 years ago

holy hell 67k visitors to a blogspot blog on cookies ! thats great. You should add the code that takes away that generic blogspot blog header, the part that says like your username and stuff. Makes it look like more of a paid domain without that.

10. 0
    pgrundyposted 7 years ago

I think both things are true: You can make money blogging AND it
    is really hard to make money blogging.

I don't have the technical skills for it. Plus, I just enjoy writing much more so that's where I put my energy. There's only so many hours in a day.

I'm forever second guessing myself though. Whatever I do the most of I'm always thinking, oh I should be doing that other thing. smile