jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

Whats the purpose of a union

1. M!$$ T3DD! profile image61
    M!$$ T3DD!posted 7 years ago

My job is part of a union and does nothing for me. WHATS THE PURPOSE?!?

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Many people say that.  I know one person who said that - she had the choice not to pay her dues, so she didn't.  Two years later she was one of a group of workers who were sacked unfairly.  The union fought for the other two people, who were union members, and got them compensation.  She got nothing.

Think of it like insurance.  You pay insurance every year in case you need to claim in the future.

2. nicomp profile image62
      nicompposted 7 years ago in reply to this
  2. jehara profile image60
    jeharaposted 7 years ago

A union is an organization of workers who act together to secure benefits and rights in the workplace. Unionism is an important tool for worker's rights.
    Union bargaining typically results in set policies about employee benefits, working hours, and other issues of importance. In a workplace where non-unionized employees work alongside unionized ones, some of these agreements may cover non-unionized workers as well. The union will also represent the needs of individual employees, helping to arbitrate when an employee has a dispute about wages, working hours, and similar issues with his or her employer. In some cases, a union may hold a strike or another type of labor action to gain the upper hand in negotiations.

1. tantrum profile image60
      tantrumposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Are you a robot?     yikes