jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (18 posts)

leaving private messages for hubbers

1. goodfriendiam profile image56
    goodfriendiamposted 8 years ago

What do you all think of this idea. Have an option to leave a private message to each other on our profile page. Where we have the option to accept or reject the message and also to help cut down on our private  email account(s). So what do you think?

goodfriendiamposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Does the hubstaff look at the suggests people post in here? Or are you suppose to post them or email them somewhere else?

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
        Marisa Wrightposted 8 years ago in reply to this

They keep an eye on it.  If a suggestion is received enthusiastically, they'll add it to a future upgrade.

thanks smile

2. profile image0
    dennisemattposted 8 years ago

like on facebook and stuff? an email within hubpages? GOOD IDEA!!
    I know you can turn email off, but I wouldnt mind messages from some people, but I dont want every tom dick and harry emailing me...and I dont feel like setting up a whole new email just for hubpages....

3. alexd181 profile image61
    alexd181posted 8 years ago

The current e-mail system works well. The system on Facebook creates 'threads' for conversations which is a nice idea, but I'm not sure how well it would fit in with Hub Pages, it's more of a socializing feature.

1. profile image0
      dennisemattposted 8 years ago in reply to this

oh. i must have been thinking of something else, where it says lsend a private message, and you click in it and it says inbox...maybe myspace..I thought facebook had it as well, but its been a long time since I checked in there.

2. Jane@CM profile image59
      Jane@CMposted 8 years ago in reply to this

The current system works well IF you have your email checked to receive messages smile

Tried to send Eaglekiwi a note, and can't sad

4. alexd181 profile image61

Yeah Facebook has that, but when you click on a message, it is 'threaded', so you can reply between each other and the communication stays on the same page, so it actually looks a lot like this page now, rather than traditional e-mail. So I suppose if Hub Pages were going to implement an integrated messaging system, that would be a possibility.

However Facebook also sends out an e-mail every time I get a message, so it seems to duplicate the entire process. You get a message at Facebook, and it gets sent to you by e-mail too. They should just choose one and stick with it.

If your a regular on hubpages for one, why would they need to send you an email notification that you got a private message. Could they not by pass this? And maybe if you don't check your private messages after so long maybe delete them so system does not overload. Can a system overload?

5. alexd181 profile image61

Jane, if someone unticked that box it probably means they don't want to be contacted. The problem is that if Hub Pages enable private messaging people will abuse and spam the system as easily or even more easily than if you've got e-mail enabled.

1. Jane@CM profile image59
      Jane@CMposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Great point! I understand. smile

2. Lisa HW profile image81
      Lisa HWposted 8 years ago in reply to this

That's my concern.  I'll get e.mails via HubPages, but some of them just are clearly not other members getting in touch.  Even the ones that seem legitimate are ones I think twice about replying to, because that means they actually get your e.mail address.

3. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 8 years ago in reply to this

I agree.  HubPages is NOT a social networking site, let's not turn it into one.

4. profile image0
      dennisemattposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Good point. Its the same reason why lots of people have "enable others to contact me" UNchecked in their account. Its too bad people have to be so low, nasty, and wastefull of other's time.

6. Angel Of Love profile image74
    Angel Of Loveposted 8 years ago

yeah, it cumbersome to be always checking your e-mail

7. Ladybird33 profile image44
    Ladybird33posted 8 years ago

I think it's a great idea.

8. Whitney05 profile image61
    Whitney05posted 8 years ago

No thanks.

Contact button works well for that.

No more means for spam.

working