Is SMOKING really injurious to health?

Jump to Last Post 1-28 of 28 discussions (58 posts)
  1. Prince Maak profile image60
    Prince Maakposted 16 years ago

Is SMOKING really injurious to health? If Yes, why do people smoke, And why there is no World Wide Ban on smoking.

I think, by banning smoking we may control the increasing pollution level a bit.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Yes. Because they were brainwashed into it and it's addictive. There's too much money to be made.

Think again. Get rid of the airplanes and the cars and I might agree.

If you just remember your government thinks you are stupid - it all makes sense.

1. Kenny Wordsmith profile image71
        Kenny Wordsmithposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Yes, that's the pot calling the kettle sooty! Let one who never uses a smoke spewing automobile speak about pollution. If you use passive smoking as an argument, I might agree.

I never do that.
        (meaning I'm careful about who's in the vicinity.)

2. thecounterpunch profile image61
      thecounterpunchposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Oh my and now the great new Big Bang Buzz: cigarettes are responsible for pollution big_smile
      Happily I don't smoke.

3. thecounterpunch profile image61

The governement doesn't care poisoning the population with barium at high toxic level and you think they would care about your health ?

Local news station confirms barium in chemtrails
      http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=okB-489l6MI

2. coolbreeze profile image44
    coolbreezeposted 16 years ago

Ha Ha  Hell yes Mark !!!

3. gamergirl profile image83
    gamergirlposted 16 years ago

As a smoker, but a considerate soul who does not smoke in the presence of non-smokers, children or pregnant women, I can honestly say that yes, it is injurious to the body to inhale chemicals and tar and all that.  BUT.. how different is it from inhaling smoggy air, or eating too much, or any other health - impacting scenario?

I smoke Djarum cigarettes.  I smoke them for flavor, barely inhaling just to get that little edge of a burn, to get the little rush a cig gives.   Oddly enough, I also donate to several organizations which plant trees yearly, I recycle and I use my buying power to support companies who show a desire to help our planet rather than hurt it more. 

Smoking is a personal choice, just like the choice to have seconds of your favorite dinner food or the choice to drink alcohol.  Worldwide ban on one of the most profitable industries based on personal choice (I think smoking is a better vice to hold to than, say, gambling.)  Yeah, that won't happen.

4. Stacie Naczelnik profile image67
    Stacie Naczelnikposted 16 years ago

Gamergirl, what about innocent pets? 

A worldwide smoking ban isn't okay.  As a non-smoker, I do not want to deal with secondhand smoke, but the government has no right to say I cannot smoke if I want to.  It can be made more difficult and pricey, but a ban isn't justifiable.  Next, we will be banned from going outdoors during the day because the sun causes skin cancer.

5. Paraglider profile image88
    Paragliderposted 16 years ago

You go into a bar (in the Middle East where smoking is not banned) and you smell and taste smoke. You know that all that smoke has already been breathed in and out, by the smoker and then by several dozen others.

You go into a bar in San Francisco or London and smell and taste bugger-all (a technical term for not-a-lot). But that same not-a-lot has also been breathed in and out by everyone present. Let's not kid ourselves that smoke is the great evil. The minute you step inside from the great outdoors, you're sampling the insides of all your fellows. Let's hope they're all healthy.

We can all get too precious sometimes, methinks.

6. Bob Ewing profile image65
    Bob Ewingposted 16 years ago

I do not like bans as a way to affect human behaviour, it rarely works and often creates an under ground oppporunity. I have not smoked in nearly 30 years,.

I appreaciate going into public palces where no one is fouling my air. I do not choose to inhale someone's second hand smoke. Smoking is hazardous to everyone's health.

7. Whitney05 profile image82
    Whitney05posted 16 years ago

Although, I'm not a smoker. I'm not a fan of being smoked around. I think after two years, my boyfriend has finally figured that out. As it's more unhealthy for me to be around him something than him smoking, I just don't like it.

I will admit that I like the smell of some cigarettes, but at a distance...

As for bans. I agree that by banning something you create a large blackmarket world. It happened with alcohol (or rum. I forget) was banned way back win. I don't see why a ban on cigarettes would be different, as they bring in a good deal of money to the government.

8. gamergirl profile image83

Stacie:  Innocent pets too.  I won't smoke around anything but other smokers.  If nonsmokers are about, I won't light up around them, even though I smoke cigarettes that 'smell nice'.

1. Stacie Naczelnik profile image67
      Stacie Naczelnikposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Good, I'm so glad!  I can still like you then.  I would be pissed at anyone who smoked around my cats.  They are my babies.  Good thing I'm married or I would be that weird woman down the street with all the cats.

1. gamergirl profile image83
        gamergirlposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Aww!  But the weird cat lady was my friend in my old childhood town..

I'm one of those smokers who goes outside to smoke, though most often I go into my garage.

9. thooghun profile image94
    thooghunposted 16 years ago

Innocent pets? My jack Russel lies and manipulates me at every turn! I'll be typing a comment, then suddenly wake up outside in the garden a rubber toy in my hand.

Hmmpf. Regarding the smoking ban. It is simply unjustifiable in my mind.

And to the O.P I know that Gore recently made an issue of saying that Smoking is "major contributor" to global warming, I'd like to see some data to convince me of that. As far as I know cigarettes do contain carbon dioxide, but the amounts are tiny.

We'd be better off banning deodorant.

1. Stacie Naczelnik profile image67
      Stacie Naczelnikposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I never said all pets are innocent!  Oh man...which rubber toy?

2. profile image0
      Iðunnposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I liked the way you typed it the first time when it was a bit mystical and mysterious and hinted of hidden dream-like significance.

10. thooghun profile image94

Oh dear, that might have come out wrong now that I read it again.

The object in question is this rubber CAT that she adores to chew on and chase into the undergrowth.

I repeat, the rubber toy is a CAT.

11. thooghun profile image94

Yes, but the rubber toy...

1. profile image0

hehe.

12. College politico profile image62
    College politicoposted 16 years ago

you guys should watch the movie "thank you for smoking" you might enjoy it... and it might give you some perspective.

13. gamergirl profile image83

Thanks, but I rarely go out and see movies where folks tell me it will "teach me a lesson" or "give me perspective."

Makes it feel like propaganda.

14. College politico profile image62

no the movie just has some pretty good points. Especially since you're a smoker.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 16 years agoin reply to this

LOL the only thing you could possibly learn from that movie is the fact that the tobacco companies and the American government are quite happy to manipulate public information for money. big_smile

15. thooghun profile image94

While it is a good movie, don't get me wrong (yes, I have seen it.) I think you'll find that smokers are aware of what smoking entails,(the ones with a brain) the manipulation that Mark mentioned for instance, and the powerful lobbying movements. But it is an addiction (usually) formed when you have notions of immortality (teens) and hard to shake later on.

My Opinon.

16. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 16 years ago

Quite right. I started smoking when I was 13. it's hard to kick.

17. Stacie Naczelnik profile image67
    Stacie Naczelnikposted 16 years ago

I suggest watching the movie if you want a good laugh.  I found it very humorous.

18. Mark Knowles profile image58

I want to know more about thoogun's rubber toy fetish...Perhaps a hubpage? Please. big_smile

It would probably be very popular.

1. profile image0

quite.  I would love to see a freudian take on his phrase as dream analysis.  smile  glad I'm not the only to admit to being taken by his choice of wordz.

19. Bob Ewing profile image65
    Bob Ewingposted 16 years ago

I saw the movie and was not impressed a few laughs but that was all.

20. gamergirl profile image83

*sighs*

Another good topic ruined by anti-government conspiracy theory.

1. thecounterpunch profile image61

It amazes me how the common people prioritize risks, sorry as project manager that's my daily job big_smile

Grow up a little bit, there are risks that are 10000000 times important for your children !

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=iIAWWL4HQDg

1. darkside profile image66
        darksideposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Do you see every thread as a potential soapbox?

2. College politico profile image62
      College politicoposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I don't smoke but the movie makes a good point... I mean what about the people who want to smoke even when they know the risks? Its hard for me to decide how much the government should be aloud to regulate smoking...

also the whole pollution thing is a croc.

3. thecounterpunch profile image61

It's funny how 20 years ago Global Warming was considered a "Conspiracy Theory" now it isn't any more.

So I guess that in 20 years, when people will discover that for fighting this supposedly Global Warming, the gov. spreaded barium and other toxic substances in the sky, you will pretend to be ignorant ?

And what are you just children ? If you don't want to smoke, just don't where's the problem ? Whereas if you don't want the barium in the sky and so in your breathe I'm sorry but you don't have the choice like for cigarettes.

You think to stop cancer by stopping cigarettes ? Well that's useless since with barium, aluminium etc. they're polluting the atmosphere with x times the level of toxicity cancer risks are much higher than all the cigarettes you smoke.

NBC news: Chemtrails over California
      http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=iIAWWL4HQDg

1. College politico profile image62

Actually 20 years ago scientists thought the world was cooling... guess they changed their minds...

1. Marisa Wright profile image83
          Marisa Wrightposted 16 years agoin reply to this

You remember that too?   I clearly recall, about 30 years ago, reading an excellent novel based on the climate theory of the time - that the Earth was way overdue for another Ice Age. 

Recently, I have seen some minority climate scientists suggesting that if it wasn't for global warming, we would be moving into another Ice Age (which would eventually mean most of the States and northern Europe would be under an ice sheet).  So perhaps global warming is not entirely a bad thing.

We all think science is about facts, but when you look closer a lot of it's just guessing...

1. thooghun profile image94
            thooghunposted 16 years agoin reply to this

The two are inter-linked. The argument claims that global warming would lead to an ice-age. The summary would be that fresh water from the melting of the polar icecaps would arrest the Gulf Stream, which happens to be what keeps most of us warm.

21. Mark Knowles profile image58

Well, I agree with counterpunch, but the rubber toy thing was much better.

1. profile image0

to this I offer the quasi-political Idunn stand-by "tend to agree".

22. College politico profile image62

Also I always find it amazing how people can find massive conspiracies in anything....

Sure, WHO (World Health Organization from the United Nations) is just predicting that 50 millions people in the whole world especially children and old people will die with cancer disease from these chemical "experiments" to supposedly fight "global warming" ...

Well I've never heard anything like that but I agree that chemical experiments to "fight" global warming is an incredibly stupid idea

And isn't it not only a stupid idea but an horrendous idea when GOV has conducted biological weapons trials on its own citizen at big scale ? This is now FACT as revealed by the guardian by the own confession of British Ministry of Defence.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Artic … 07,00.html

"The Ministry of Defence turned large parts of the country into a giant laboratory to conduct a series of secret germ warfare tests on the public.

A government report just released provides for the first time a comprehensive official history of Britain's biological weapons trials between 1940 and 1979.

Many of these tests involved releasing potentially dangerous chemicals and micro-organisms over vast swaths of the population without the public being told."

Worst: Asked whether such tests are still being carried out, she said: 'It is not our policy to discuss ONGOING RESEARCH' !!!!!!!

So do you still think that's it's just conspiracy theory when it comes from the mouth of the Bristish Gov huh ? So continue to concentrate on cigarettes toxicity instead of toxicity of what they're putting in the atmosphere ... surely your health will improve globally.

23. Marisa Wright profile image83
    Marisa Wrightposted 16 years ago

I've been meaning to go and see that movie - another thing on my long "to do" list!  From my understanding, it's not bashing smokers at all. It's the cigarette companies they're gunning for.

I used to think that our bans on smoking in public places were going too far and it was creating a backlash (I see more and more young people smoking compared to a few years ago).  Then I went on holiday to Europe, and realised I had completely forgotten what it felt like to walk into a smoky bar.   Or how a hotel room smells when it's had smokers in it the previous night, even if it has been cleaned.   

So although I still feel bans risk creating resentment - people don't like being told what they can't do - I can now see it's created a much cleaner and pleasanter environment here (I'm in Australia).  We have a culture where people are aware it's not appropriate to inflict their habit on other people, which is generally not true around the Mediterranean.

24. College politico profile image62

I have to agree with Marisa Wright on most of what she said...

25. Ralph Deeds profile image64
    Ralph Deedsposted 16 years ago

Continuing to raise cigarette taxes combined with public education about the health effects of smoking is a better approach than a total ban, in my opinion. High taxes on cigarettes, liquor and gasoline can help pay the social costs of their excessive use as well as discouraging their use. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/26/busin … ref=slogin

but how much more can we be educated about the health effects of smoking? And as the movie points out... fatty foods may be more of a killer than smoking.... just something to think about

1. livelonger profile image86
        livelongerposted 16 years agoin reply to this

There's always room for better analysis of existing data. I've been reading Gary Taubes's book, "Good Calories, Bad Calories" and he makes a very strong case (after examining over 600 studies over the past 50 years) that high-carb foods are a killer, not high-fat foods.

But at the end of the day, it depends on each individual how much this sort of information means to them.

But what I'm saying would people stand for the same kind of taxes and regulations on food as they do on cigarettes? I know I sure wouldn't.

I mean its the classic "government knows better than you" mentality...

1. livelonger profile image86
            livelongerposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I certainly wouldn't support it since there isn't a consensus on what's unhealthy when it comes to food (or, rather, there is an enormous gray area...)

With cigarettes, I'm pretty sure there is consensus that tobacco is really bad for your health.

2. Marisa Wright profile image83
          Marisa Wrightposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I've been reading about that too.  People spread fear and loathing of fatty foods, but then it's safe to put epileptic children on a long-term low carb, high fat diet to reduce their seizures.  Once again, we all think it's science fact when a lot of it is just the best theory as far as we know today.

Science has no problem, the problem is politicians who use science as they use religion AS FAKE PRETEXT for their hidden political agenda:
            Rockefeller's Political Agenda: On the birth of the Concept of Global Warming
            http://hubpages.com/hub/Quote_of_the_day_060507
            http://hubpages.com/hub/Whats-really-be … eenwashing

The middle class is going to be taxed taxed taxed under the disguise of Global Warming whereas the super elites will get their financial interests based on these tax through the power of gov.

2. Misha profile image64
      Mishaposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Ralph, I never think higher taxes is a solution to anything. Education may be yes, taxes - no. That is not to say I admire any kind of direct or indirect ban either. wink

Higher taxes make government stronger, and this is the last thing this country needs. Governments tend to get used to higher revenue, thus being interested in supporting the source of it.

Education on government terms turns into a blatant propaganda, which discredits the whole idea...

After all, it's all about personal choices...

26. Ralph Deeds profile image64
    Ralph Deedsposted 16 years ago

Food is a necessity. Alcohol and cigarettes are not. Sin taxes are a long tradition in this country. They do discourage consumption of the taxed items.  And the revenues help defray the social costs of cigarettes and alcohol--health care, police to stop drunk driving, premature death, etc.

Misha, in cas you haven't noticed our country has been incurring huge, unsustainable deficits as a result of the Iraq war and George Bush's tax cuts for the richest Americans. Taxes are required to repair and improve our roads, regulate air transport, drugs, etc. Taxes in the U.S. are among the lowest of all industrial countries and, as a result our roads and bridges are in disrepair, health care for the poor is non-existent, etc. You talk like a libertarian. Fortunately, only a small minority hold that belief although nearly everyone complains about taxes.

1. Misha profile image64
      Mishaposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Ralph, I may be a libertarian, but mostly I'm talking out my life experience and common sense based on this experience. smile

If you guys stop the war, you'll show surplus in no time. And I don't think cuts on rich have anything to do with the current deficit.

Just as a reference point - income tax in Russia is plain 13%. You can say it is a third world country - and you will be right in a sense - but it is developing into the World superpower pretty fast. And taxes are one of the main reasons behind that move...

This is not to say Russia does not tax tobacco - they do, but they keep this tax much more reasonable...

27. College politico profile image62

I understand what you're both saying but what about Mcdonalds food(or candy or soft drinks)? Its certainly not a necessity and I think most people will agree that its unhealthy (though I suppose its not too bad in moderation)

Maybe thats the real difference between the two? Junk food and candy can be safe in moderation whereas cigarettes (and illegal drugs) are not...

28. gamergirl profile image83

Every thread that's seen a few views is not a place for you to stand on the Propaganda Pulpit, Counterpunch.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)