jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Why make cars so powerful available for driving on regular roads?

1. battlersunited profile image59
    battlersunitedposted 7 years ago

It's just something I wonder now and then. Why are such powerful cars allowed for sale to the general public for use on our roads? I see it all too often, the drag races, the complete morons in traffic in their suped up death machines risking the lives not only of everyone around them but themselves as well just to look cool and get a rush. I really don't understand it.

Is speed the biggest factor in crashes resulting in death around the globe in general? If so, why can't we get these high-powered death machines off the road?

I do know some racing enthusiasts who own vintage hotrods but they drive responsibly - they are in the minority though. I also have two siblings in the police force who have commented regularly on just how stupid people are on the roads (especially in high-powered cars) on a daily basis.

I'm not trying to start a flame war here I just really don't understand it and frankly I'm so tired of seeing on the news reports of speed related crashes and seeing it for myself when I'm on the road and hearing them at night drifting around the streets without a care if they lose control and slam into a house or not.

It's not just the rice cars and hotrods, regular cars and motorbikes can obviously get the speed up as well. Does a car really need to go faster than 110 kph (110 kph for freeway use)? Unless you live in a country with an autobahn I honestly don't see the point in providing cars to the general public that can go stupidly fast or can accelerate in speed really quickly.

Perhaps I'm just pig-headed but if speed is the biggest factor in auto mobile related deaths then isn't that enough for a Government to say "Woah hang on...we better do something about this?" If it isn't the biggest factor I think it must be almost a tie with the biggest.

Is it really so horrible that a car can't accelerate from 0 - 100 in less than 5 seconds or that it can't go 200+ kph?

Just curious.

2. earnestshub profile image87
    earnestshubposted 7 years ago

Not only curious, you have asked a very valid and relevant question. In the city the waste of fuel and extra emissions are crazy high too. If we just settle for less horsepower that alone will make many vehicle related problems reduce from manufacture through to it's disposal.

3. Lisa HW profile image84
    Lisa HWposted 7 years ago

I agree.  Those (super-speeders) are the ones that cross the median and hit people coming in the other direction.  They're not all that rare on the highways either.

4. Misha profile image75
    Mishaposted 7 years ago

Because there is a demand for them. smile