jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

1. College politico profile image60
    College politicoposted 8 years ago

So has anybody else tried to set up a facebook page for your hub personality? I did: College Politico

What do you all think about facebook pages? good idea or waste of time?

1. Lissie profile image85
      Lissieposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Im not convinced on facebook - I just joined but it seemed to want my real name / location - which I find a bit concerning even though  I am very relaxed about giving out personal info - how did you manage to do a profile with a screen name?

1. College politico profile image60
        College politicoposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Well its not a profile... I have a personal profile to keep in touch with my friends.... a facebook page is different. Its sort of like a fan page that bands and politicians and other figures can make. Sort of like band pages on myspace...

2. Mark Knowles profile image60
    Mark Knowlesposted 8 years ago

Waste of time.

3. Marisa Wright profile image92
    Marisa Wrightposted 8 years ago

OK, I admit it.  I have a Facebook profile in my pen name (which is not my real name).

Lissie, it does ask for your real name, but it doesn't ask you to prove it.  They don't go and check up on you!  So you won't be able to sign up as just "Lissie", you'll need a surname.

The benefit of Facebook is limited because the number of people who can see your details is limited.  However, you can set it up so that key information like your birthday and email are always hidden, and just don't fill in some of the other personal data.  Then choose to allow all your networks  (not just friends) to see your profile. 

The first network you choose is your location. In the States, that would be a city - but in Oz, we're lucky, because our network is the whole of Australia!  So you immediately have more potential for exposure than the average Facebooker.   You should also join Groups relevant to your interests - if you're lucky, you'll find some with active discussion boards where you can post some links.

I'm not sure whether it works, but if you don't get sucked into the games it's pretty low maintenance, so IMO it can't hurt.

4. College politico profile image60
    College politicoposted 8 years ago

Yea facebook is amazing for social networking outside of any commercial interests but I was talking more specifically about their new facebook "Pages" services... for info on it go here: http://www.facebook.com/business/?pages

5. Princessa profile image87
    Princessaposted 8 years ago

I enjoy facebook...  Is it a waste of time?, YES.  I spend too long gossiping with friends and looking at shoes and handbags there... I agree, but I enjoy it all the same!  Although sometimes it gets so sad that I have a 'virtual drink' in there!

Some of my traffic source comes directly from facebook.

6. Stacie Naczelnik profile image88
    Stacie Naczelnikposted 8 years ago

I primarily use Facebook to keep in touch with friends scattered around the world.  On the side, I get to occasionally promote myself.  It is an added bonus from a service I use for personal reasons.