jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (15 posts)

1. Lily Rose profile image85
    Lily Roseposted 7 years ago

Just wondering - if someone leaves a comment on one of your hubs and their "name" is a link to their non-HP website, is this considered spam?  Should I deny the comment?  By the way, it was not a very nice comment anyway - not malicious, just completely unnecessary...

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago in reply to this

It depends where it's linking to.  If the site is relevant, I'd leave it.

2. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 7 years ago

I mark those as spam and delete.

3. Lily Rose profile image85

That's what I thought I should do.  So if you mark it as spam, does a notification go somewhere/to someone?

4. livewithrichard profile image86
    livewithrichardposted 7 years ago

If the comment has no relevance to your hub then deny it.  If it's a nasty comment deny it.  If it says you're the greatest writer in the world, keep it.  That's what I do... smile

Seriously, you have total control over you hubs so you get to choose which comments to keep or delete.  Your readers are going to read the comments too so it is a very good idea to screen them.

1. brad4l profile image81
      brad4lposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I know you may be joking, but if it says "you're the greatest writer in the world," 9 times out of 10 it is a spammer who didn't actually read your article and leaves the same comment on every hub, counting on the vanity factor to keep it from being marked as spam. ... smile

1. Kmadhav profile image60
        Kmadhavposted 7 years ago in reply to this

You are right Brad if someone's says these words you're the greatest writer in the world it is just a spam comment and person didn't read the hub. I also faced these kind of some situations where comment from NON HP person appreciates its product and link to his website. I just delete the comment and marked as spam.

I approved only those comments which are worthy and from genuine Hubbers. Before Approving comment from new hubbers which I don't know first I check his profile he is a regular member of hubpages then I approves his comment or it is just opens his account and giving wasteful comment on others hubs I don't approve. We have all authority on these kind of spammy and promotional comments.

5. Lily Rose profile image85

Thanks for the advice, I completely agree, just didn't know if I may be over-reacting.  Going to delete it right now!

6. Ultimate Hubber profile image80
    Ultimate Hubberposted 7 years ago

If it adds value to my posts, like related tips or questions, I keep it. Otherwise I delete those.

7. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 7 years ago

It's your personal call as to what comments on your Hubs are spam or not.  But then again, think of how you feel as a reader when you find a Hub and all the comments are "great job, nice hub."  Comes off looking really weak, doesn't it?

8. WeddingConsultant profile image83
    WeddingConsultantposted 7 years ago

I tend to leave non-hubber comments on the hubs. The only time I'll remove them is if they have absolutely nothing to do with the hub or if they are in the form of a personal attack.

It looks good for you and your hubs if you have non hubbers commenting...that means you're getting outside traffic. Besides, even if the comment is "iffy" or neutral, the outgoing link is no-follow (practically useless for spammers).

1. Lily Rose profile image85
      Lily Roseposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Yeah, but I don't want someone who's reading my article to see a comment with a link, click on it, and not come back to read more of my articles - at least potentially, right?

1. 0
        Ghost32posted 7 years ago in reply to this

It's like others have said here:  It's your work, your control, and you want to go with what makes you feel "right" about the page.  By and large, if I even THINK I should delete a Comment (which thankfully hasn't happened that often to date), it's a pretty good bet that I really SHOULD.

Your gut instinct is a powerful tool.

OK, I see I'm redundant here...you already figured it out!  big_smile

9. WeddingConsultant profile image83
    WeddingConsultantposted 7 years ago

I think the chances of a hub reader finding an obscure link in the comments section is like finding a needle in a haystack.

Not only that, the more comments are left, the more that linked comment is buried. Think about it- how many hubs do you go through and then read all the comments before you put your own comments? If there are 4 comments then maybe I'd read them, but if there are 30 I'd skip over them to write my comment.

10. Lily Rose profile image85

Not relevant at all.  I deleted it.  Like I said, it wasn't malicious but not nice either - something like "I don't have time to read any of these books...."

Well, then why are you reading my article?!

Thanks to all for the great words of advice.