jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

dont display option for capsules & spiders

1. joeleighton profile image60
    joeleightonposted 8 years ago

do capsules marked "dont display" get indexed by spiders?  thanks & regards, joe

2. darkside profile image85
    darksideposted 8 years ago

This is a good question.

And one that should be easily checked.

To test it out I've added a Text Capsule to an existing hub and added some text and marked it as Don't Display.

Then I saved it (though there seems to be a bit of problem with that, more on that later) and had to quit out of the page altogether, I went back and viewed the hub (and in edit mode just to check if it was actually saved) and then back into view mode.

I right clicked the page and selected "View Page Source" and I couldn't find the text that is hidden.

Long story short, it's not in the source code and therefore it won't be seen or indexed by spiders.

1. pauldeeds profile image
      pauldeedsposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Funny that this came up now, I just fixed some of the long standing "do not display" ui bugs yesterday (may not go live for a week or two).  The intent behind that was that you could remove a capsule from the "live" version of a hub without deleting the content in the capsule.  It is rarely used.

And, no they don't get spidered.

3. Jerrico Usher profile image60
    Jerrico Usherposted 8 years ago

I figured out a work around for this. YOu know you can comment in your own comment box which is crawled along with anything else right? you could take all your headers and write a paragraph including them in it so it looks like your talking about your hub (you are) but you get all the words on pictures in there.. you can also put a paragraph like this at the top of your page as a summery of the different topics discussed, and you could also do the bullets thing with your text headers in it saying "In this issue:" then list the headers.

I think using the headers in the capsule is better but this is a second way if you want to do the picture header.. personally I will use the header pictures just to oversee or glorify the header text the pictures probably wont have text on it unless it doesnt matter..

4. darkside profile image85
    darksideposted 8 years ago

What you're proposing sounds like it'll create a bit of a mess that a human visitor will see and go "what the huh?".

Using the capsule titles correctly is important for search engines crawling the site, especially because they've got h2 tags wrapped around them.

By all means do use graphics, but if you can bring yourself to using the titles as well it will have a positive effect as far as SEO goes whereas just relying on images bearing the titles will not.

1. Jerrico Usher profile image60
      Jerrico Usherposted 8 years ago in reply to this

thats what I said essentially, I was just offering other ideas, but personally I'd use the headings and use the pictures just as an over hang.. window dressing smile