I feel dirty...

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (46 posts)
  1. Davinagirl3 profile image60
    Davinagirl3posted 14 years ago

I allowed myself to become enrapt in some forum threads this morning, and I think I may have become a darker, meaner version of myself.  My inner demon came out.  I was called names as soon as I voiced my OPINION.  I sank to a level that was unbecoming to myself, and I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this revelation.  My resolution is to stay away from the political forums.  If I go back it will be like an alcoholic having a drink.  I am not used to being attacked for voicing my opinion.  I figure, people have different viewpoints, right? Well, I will keep my opinions to myself from now on.  It is too risky.

1. tksensei profile image60
      tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like taking the easy way out.

2. Jewelimperfection profile image60
      Jewelimperfectionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That Really Sucks. You Should Not Have Been Attacked Like That. But Its Happened to Me Too.lol.
      Don't Give Into The Urge, Be Higher Than That.

3. Misha profile image62
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you have this (or any other) "inner demon" in yourself, the only way to really get rid of it is to let it out in more or less controlled manner. If you try to suppress it, it will get you eventually in a nasty way. Yes, I am talking from personal experience. smile

4. profile image0
      fierycjposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh dont let it bother ya, Boo. Its gotta happen to everyone in here at least once. At least. smile

2. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

Oh chica I'm sorry that you had to go through name calling just for stating your own opinion.  But yes you mustn't sink to their level but you do have to stand up for yourself. Sorry again.  Maybe they need a Preschool teacher to teach them manners? I can help there smile

1. manlypoetryman profile image82
      manlypoetrymanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah...Put 'em all in time out!

http://ridethatpony.com/time-out.jpg

1. profile image0
        Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LMAO Oh that picture is too sad. But yea so true they need time outs haha

Actually...that back of the blonde square head looks alot like I did...back in the day...and there's something familiar about that wall color...Ma' have you been scanning all our baby photos to the inter-net again...Dang Blast it, Ma! Next year...I'm getting you a new skillet for Christmas...for crying out loud!

3. manlypoetryman profile image82
    manlypoetrymanposted 14 years ago

Davina...that is real good resolution...one I've tried to do myself. I can't believe people can't figure out that their's is an OPINION...like everyone else's.  Sounds like you came up with a better solution to the problem...then they ever will.
    Just say "No" to __________. (Fill in the blank with whatever you want-just make sure it has a plural ending!) Yeah...next time you feel the need to get in on the "ramblings"...just drop back and punt!

1. profile image0

I love reading your comments poetryman. You have some great ones!

4. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

Been there, done that. Not here, but I really know how you feel. And yes you do feel dirty.

That's one of the reasons why I just try to stick to business at Hubpages. I participate in the Hubbers Hangout, Knowledge Exchange and Need Help.

Very occasionally I venture into a controversial area, but feel miserable afterwards. I'm considering not participating in the forums at all because of this. But there are lots of great people here and I don't want to lose that experience completely.

But these days I don't even look at the forum summary. Many of the titles upset me greatly. I just come to these 3 forums.

I try to have a positive and supportive attitude and not get caught up in the drama here.

5. jiberish profile image78
    jiberishposted 14 years ago

I admit I enjoy following the drama, occassionally I'll post a short comment, but it does get brutal.

I have yet to see anything approaching "brutal" here at all.

6. kmackey32 profile image64
    kmackey32posted 14 years ago

I would just stay away. There are just some people who like to get a rise out of others.

7. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

And some who want to sort the fact from fiction! smile
    I get called all sorts of things on some forums. Doesn't worry me much I still get to exchange info sometimes, and expect no more. Those who continue with abuse get banned sooner or later, and I let hubpages staff judge when. I reckon they do a great job of it. smile

8. Davinagirl3 profile image60
    Davinagirl3posted 14 years ago

I think I need the time out.  I am going to take my angst out on my credit cards.  I am definately going to get out of my house and away from the computer this weekend, and maybe get a spa treatment.  Then I will feel clean again.  Voila'... Problem solved.

1. profile image0

*HUGS* Don't stress too much about it. Remember they are the stupid ones who want to start fights or force you to think their way.

9. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

Political discussion is a much more productive experience when things do not get personal and points are made with solid facts.

Unfortunately, personal attacks are what it has resorted to (anywhere, not just on HubPages). It's hard for many to evoke political discussion without using personal attacks and trying to degrade someone's opinion. I'm sorry that happened to you. Many people feel that if they try hard enough to discredit a person, that their own talking points are somehow more valid than another person that they can easily label in a derogatory way. For me, that negates anyone's argument. It shouldn't be personal. If posters truly have something productive to say, they won't make it personal; it'll be a factual statement.

I enjoy the occasional political thread on here, but I ignore the posters who are offensive and aren't contributing to a productive conversation. I like talking with hubbers who challenge my facts and help me hone my debate skills; that, for me, is stimulating. I find the political forums useful for that purpose and that purpose only! big_smile

At the end of the day, political debate isn't terribly productive; it is highly unlikely to change someone's opinion through an internet forum. smile As you said, people have different viewpoints. If it's not fun anymore, I don't blame you for not wanting to participate. Your time here should be FUN! big_smile

10. blue dog profile image59
    blue dogposted 14 years ago

golly, stay away for a few hours and i miss the drama.  serioulsy, davina, i wouldn't get too upset about those clowns over in the politics slums.  it's the same ones over and over,  trying to do the baiting trick, the tool of choice being hypocrisy.  just reading their posts, the same old line over and over and over, could almost be a cheap form of entertainment.  if only they weren't so pathetic. 

that's my take on them, and it allows me to sleep well at nite.  remember, davina, the pen is mightier than the sword.  keep your pen sharp, their dull swords are no match.  reconsider your comment about keeping your opinion to yourself.  creative types should be allowed to express themselves, even in the presence of nitwits.

1. profile image0

Well said blue dog well said!

2. profile image0
      Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If only corporations felt the same way, bluedog, wink.

The forums were once more fun, and at the same time a little more serious.  There are hubbers who have voluntarily decided, similar to Davina, to quit the forums because of the excessive trolling activity which has occurred in the last 3 months or so at hubpages, I'd estimate.

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

it is around three months isn't it? I still persevere though, and sometimes it;s fun still, especially when experienced hubbers join in. smile

3. tksensei profile image60

Isn't that an example of the sort of nasty name-calling everyone was deploring?

1. blue dog profile image59
        blue dogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i guess in some circles the word "clowns" could be considered nasty name-calling.  it is what it is.

What about "pathetic"? If "it is what it is" I assume you really have no problem with name-calling and such then?

1. blue dog profile image59
            blue dogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

actually, you might consider re-reading my posts before you start assuming.   again, in some circles the word "pathetic" could be considered nasty name-calling.  if you'll go look up it's definintion, you'll see that it applies to most of what's going on in religion and politics and anyone who's posted almost 3,000 comments in four months time. 

it's not so much the name calling that people seem to be concerned about - that will be corrected in due time - as it is the fact that there are those who desire to participate in and maintain an intellectual discussion.  it is unfortunate that  people who've yet to advance beyond the level of middle school debate continue to hog the discussion boards.

There you go, keep providing that example!

11. Colebabie profile image59
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

Davina don't let them get to ya. It is quite frustrating I know. But you're way better than those who result to name-calling, last time I checked we weren't in the 2nd grade.

Definitely get out of the house and go do something for yourself, you deserve it!

12. AsherKade profile image58
    AsherKadeposted 14 years ago

why do yo think I don't publish here anymore? The forums are okay, but the crap isn't. Somehow I have been blame for all the crap, and I hardly am here anymore....don't take it persoal Davina, you are too aweosme of a person!!!!!

Asher...you are missed on this Hub thing...but glad you popped back in for a visit...I tried to help vindicate some of the hateful E-Mails that were sent your way...which I find hard to believe people can be that ignorant...by the way...in the forum topic today: Don't Snub in a Hub!

Later

13. profile image0

LOL poertyman. Your comments are too funny

Gracias Crazdwriter...All in fun though hmm Writing Hubs and the Forum Section...helps keep me out'ta trouble on Political and Religious Forums across the rest of the internet... smile Sounds like you're fitting in well here for a Hubber of 3 weeks...

1. profile image0

Thanks poetryman I am doing my best and trying to join in more. And trying to get more fun hubs up though it's hard sometimes when I don't get inspired.

and stay out of trouble? aaaaaa...but but...that's no fun lol

14. blue dog profile image59
    blue dogposted 14 years ago

as i posted elsewhere last evening, if hp wants to sit on their laurels, polishing their fingernails while they look in the mirror saying how great they are, fine.  but if they're not aware of the desire of others to drag a good thing down, then maybe they should stick their heads in the politics and religious doors a bit more often.

expect changes with the hp format, if they want to continue being successful.  hubscores, author scores, so on and so forth.  perhaps there's an incentive for producing quality hubs, unbeknownst to some.   if so, it needs to be made clear to the freaks and zealots over in politics and religion.

15. profile image0

Oh and Davina I am wondering which forum were they calling your names. I want to see exaclty what they called you and everything.

16. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

http://cdn.dumpalink.com/media/pictures/377jg3f18.jpg

You know....Your thread titles are misleading.  I thought this was going to be much more interesting.

17. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

http://files.nireblog.com/blogs/ateyavana/files/please-do-not-feed-the-hoboken-trolls.jpg

18. HubChief profile image72
    HubChiefposted 14 years ago

look at trees and flowery plants,
    Plants always urive storms
    tress get blown away

you have recgnized your inside and it is a big one.. You woudl overcome this soon. May you feel better

19. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

I do the same as Nellie smile I avoid the drama zones. Feels better offering advice, support and encouragement big_smile

20. profile image50
    badcompany99posted 14 years ago

Just forget about it Davina, like why even worry about it. I used to until I realised the people involved aren't worth even thinking about !

1. kmackey32 profile image64
      kmackey32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

yes exactly what he said. smile

1. profile image50
        badcompany99posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I only read this damn thread cause she said she felt Dirty, what a let down smile

Me too. AH ha

21. profile image50
    badcompany99posted 14 years ago

Btw you I am liking yer new hubs, you deff have got the knack Mac lol, jeeeez I knew I was a Poet smile

Oh yea. Does that mean I am learning? lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)