jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (11 posts)

Online or Offline

1. Jackilyn profile image62
    Jackilynposted 8 years ago

Maybe there could be like some kind of symbol to show if that hubber is online or not, kinda like myspace. Just a suggestion. What do you think?  smile

2. Whitney05 profile image67
    Whitney05posted 8 years ago

I kind of like it... Something small in the profile page or in the right column somewhere on the hub. Something not too 'WOW' that would be distracting, but if you knew what you were looking for, visible.

3. Jackilyn profile image62

Exactly , that was just what I was thinking like a small symbol on the corner of our  profile picture. or like if someone is online maybe their score can be green or something of the sort....?

4. Hoodala profile image59
    Hoodalaposted 8 years ago

The only problem I can see with this is that hubpages doesn't ever log you out.  Unless you close your browser it will show you as online while you may not really be online.  I much prefer not having to log in and out all the time to having an online/offline icon.

5. Peter M. Lopez profile image92
    Peter M. Lopezposted 8 years ago

This is a good idea.  A quick question, though, loosely on topic.  I have never been able to get any browser to "remember me" on HubPages.  Does anyone else have this problem?  I have to login by hand every time.  It's not a huge deal, but I think it is a problem with HubPages not a browser.

1. pauldeeds profile image
      pauldeedsposted 8 years ago in reply to this

I haven't heard of anyone having this problem before.  My guess is that it has something to do with a setting in your browser related to cookies.  You might try using a different browser (for instance firefox, if you normally use IE or vice versa to see if you still have trouble).

6. Jackilyn profile image62

Hoodala: oops, I did'nt know that , sorry, an yea noone would want to login and out all the time.

Peter : I havn't had that problem, sorry i couldn't help.

7. pauldeeds profile image
    pauldeedsposted 8 years ago

It is technically feasible.  We use a 5 minute timeout from your last activity for purposes of the registered users online total that you see at the bottom of the forum page.  But, without chat or some other interactive feature it's not clear to me what useful purpose the information would be put to.

8. Isabella Snow profile image86
    Isabella Snowposted 8 years ago

I would only be favor of this if it were voluntarily turned on by the members.

I like my anonymity. smile

9. Mark Knowles profile image60
    Mark Knowlesposted 8 years ago

What use would this feature be? I am not sure I understand, because there is no communication between us except in the forums or private email, so what difference would it make if someone is online?

10. helenathegreat profile image86
    helenathegreatposted 8 years ago

It would be helpful to know if someone's online if you're asking a question on one of their hubs (to see if you should stick around or check back tomorrow) or responding to something they said in the forum.

I agree that I'd like to see this feature sometime in the future.