jump to last post 1-18 of 18 discussions (25 posts)

How many of you do volunteer work?

1. lrohner profile image84
    lrohnerposted 7 years ago

I've had some amazing experiences recently, and would like to know how many of us Hubbers are involved in charitable organizations, or do volunteer work or help the needy in some way?

Am thinking of trying to gather us Hubbers together to start an organized HubPages kind of charitable thingee (cuz I think we would rock it), but would like to know your mindset first.

1. melbel profile image92
      melbelposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I have never done volunteer work, but have always been interested in doing something for the environment. I don't live in an area where there is a whole lot to do, but I am hoping to move to a city soon where I can feel like I have the ability to help out with something.

2. goodfriendiam profile image60
    goodfriendiamposted 7 years ago

I only do charity if it strikes me, at my core. I don't go looking for it.

lrohnerposted 7 years ago in reply to this

At least you're honest. I totally respect that.

3. Beth100 profile image84
    Beth100posted 7 years ago

I volunteer in our local community youth programs, coach youth sports teams and volunteer for our seniors.  For larger organizations, it varies depending on the organization.

I have some larger organizations in mind. Wonder if you're willing...

4. goodfriendiam profile image60
    goodfriendiamposted 7 years ago

Thanks Irohner. I'm more of a charity in my back yard kind of girl. Would be nice if the whole world was the same then we wouldn't have to do charitable works. Just my thoughts.

5. 0
    wordscribe41posted 7 years ago

I volunteer for a no kill cat shelter called:  Cat Adoption Team here in Portland, OR.  I love it, a very important cause to me. 

Do lots of volunteer work for our school, too (if that counts).

Luv that you're into the animals, just like I am. And for the rest, it all counts. Every little bit.

6. 0
    mtsi1098posted 7 years ago

once a year we volunteer for our church - but that's it...we do not want to strain ourselves

7. earnestshub profile image87
    earnestshubposted 7 years ago

I have done volunteer work in the past, and given money to charity and to people who ask me directly and in the street my whole adult life.
    I am the mug who splits what I have even when I'm broke! I am the fool who stops and changes the car tire. Not a choice really, that's what Dad always did and I saw the good it brought to peoples lives, so it's easy for me to see.

I have been hungry, cold and even alone in my early life, and know how it feels to need a hand.
    The problem has always been time more than money. I look after a big family, (lots of babies to sit) and have little time other than that these days to volunteer.

Earnest, this is the answer that was totally expected. You're already giving all you can give, and I knew that would be the case. Kudos, big boy. And keep it up. You're definitely a role model.

8. Uninvited Writer profile image83
    Uninvited Writerposted 7 years ago

I have volunteered in the past for Special Olympics. My first was at a telethon. The second was a lot more fun, at the Provincial Games. I had a great time that day and really got to meet the athletes. It's hard where I live now because the organization does not seem to be very organized smile

9. wrenfrost56 profile image82
    wrenfrost56posted 7 years ago

That is so cool, I am on my son's school's commitee, we plan all the fund raising it's good fun. I am very much liking your idea.

10. lrohner profile image84

UW, I do the Special Olympics thing every year. And I love it. Wren, thanks for the support. I'm thinking something big. Something us Hubbers can make a difference at. I'd really like that.

11. HubChief profile image68
    HubChiefposted 7 years ago

I volunteer often at my child's school during their seasonal get togethers.

Very satisfying to give back to our community

12. lrohner profile image84

I love what y'all are doing. Is anybody in for something bigger? I'd love to see us Hubbers doing something for charity as a group. Who's in?

1. 0
      wordscribe41posted 7 years ago in reply to this

What do you have in mind?  Irohner, I actually have an excellent fundraising idea that benefits the Ronald McDonald House...  It would work well globally.  I've been an active participant in my local RMH.  Read this:  http://rmhc.org/how-you-can-help/other- … llections/

No skin off anyone's back, free, great cause, good for the environment, etc...  If enough people did it here at HP it would be fantastic.

13. E. A. Wright profile image86
    E. A. Wrightposted 7 years ago

I've done volunteer tutoring over the past few years, and I plan to make time to get started again this fall.

What kind of big idea are you thinking of? I might be up for it.

14. kmackey32 profile image82
    kmackey32posted 7 years ago

I work in a nursing home, there are times I stop by and help with no pay and my husband volunteers when we need someone. The other day we took patients to the fair and we were short a helper so my husband came to take a patient around, with no pay....

15. Misha profile image76
    Mishaposted 7 years ago

I avoid work as a plague, so no volunteer work for me please. I think charities are inefficient and have a huge overhead, so no money for them either. Yet I basically feed my parents, who have been robbed by the state of their pension, and I help other people directly if/when I feel like that. smile

1. kmackey32 profile image82
      kmackey32posted 7 years ago in reply to this

Yes you do!!!!!

16. 69
    logic,commonsenseposted 7 years ago

I have assisted on some Habitat for Humanity homes and there is not much better than to help someone who is busting ass to help themselves and still shows appreciaton for the assistance of others.
    A hand up not a hand out!

17. andromida profile image76
    andromidaposted 7 years ago

I love to do volunteer work if I have enough time.Sometimes even I need to make time for volunteer work.

18. 0
    Leta Sposted 7 years ago

Currently I'm working on a set of articles for promotion of Big Brothers Big Sisters, profiling kids who need a big sis or bro for regional papers and magazines.

I support a kid in India...used to work for nonprofits when I was right out of college...Literacy Council..as a volunteer coordinator (we helped adults who could not read), Refugee Service Center as an ESL instructor (though my job was actually in resource development/grantwriting).

So, yep.  I volunteer.