jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (14 posts)

Ok I'm a bit stuck

1. frogdropping profile image84
    frogdroppingposted 7 years ago

Analytics. It's far too much like maths for my liking. I was looking there earlier and it shows where your traffic comes from.

Yet the hubpage stats disagree. Who is right? Or is it just a weird anomaly twixt the two?

Thankyou smile

1. brad4l profile image84
      brad4lposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Well, some people block Google analytics, either by choice or because their browser doesn't support JavaScript, so this probably accounts for some differences. It would probably be more difficult to block the Hubpages analytics, so hubpages might be a little more accurate.

Of course, if they are blocking Google Analytics, they are also probably not registering ad impressions...

2. LVM profile image53
      LVMposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Here's a quote from the guides when you press the "help" button on HubPages:

Be warned that the page view and referer data from analytics is never going to match up precisely with what we report. The method they use to collect data is different, so you should expect small discrepancies

2. 0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 7 years ago

Who knows whose right? I've never had a pair of stats agree yet.

Just keep all the numbers moving up. Especial revenue and don't worry about anything else really.

3. frogdropping profile image84

Thankyou smile

I'm not concerned, I just don't get it. Analytics that is. Lots of graphs etc. But I guess that's why it's called analytics smile

I usually stay away from it. But hubchallenge stuff has made me curious about why or how stuff works. I need to go back to my ignorant little corner big_smile

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I confess I don't really understand it either.

I like looking at the pie chart which shows what percentage of traffic comes from where (the bigger the "search engine" slice, it seems, the more money I make).  I also look at the "traffic sources" and "keywords" sections.  Other than that, it's all gobbledegook to me.

4. 0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 7 years ago

I've decided to just keep writing and think less. That probably sounds weird. But I have such faith in the Hubpages model, that I don't think we have to overthink it. Just keep writing hubs and the money will follow.

1. 61
      badcompany99posted 7 years ago in reply to this

I am doing the same myself Nelle !

5. lrohner profile image85
    lrohnerposted 7 years ago

I'm a total Analytics addict. My morning routine consists of waking up, brushing my teeth, putting on the coffee and heading right for Analytics. There's a lot of information in there that can help.

For instance, I had a prolonged spike in traffic with one of my hubs. I was walking around all pleased with myself until I noticed very little of the traffic was converting. So I went into Analytics and checked the keywords that people were using to find my hub. One of the top keywords was "prepaid cell phones" -- one of Sandra Rinck's (I believe) hubs. And my hub had nothing to do with cell phones at all. So folks were meandering around on HP from her hub, but that doesn't mean that they were going to buy a blow dryer or cookbook from me. It wasn't targeted traffic. So rather than sit back and rest on my laurels, I pulled it together and worked on getting more targeted traffic to my hub.

Anyway, if you need help at all with it, just let me know. I'm always here for ya, Frog!

1. RedElf profile image85
      RedElfposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I am just starting with analytics - would you consider offering some help here? Traffic converting to what? ...and how do you check what keywords ppl use? How can I get more targeted traffic - is it by choosing better keywords or what else can I do? Anything you'd care to share would be great! smile

1. lrohner profile image85
        lrohnerposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Hey Red, I just sent you an email.

6. frogdropping profile image84

@ everyone - thankyou smile

@ Irohner - wow, you can hunt out your keywords? I just looked at the screen in front of me. I daren't really touch anything because I don't understand it. Anyway - I'm impressed with your undertsanding of it. Prof Analytics smile

@BC - yep. Just keep writing like Nelle said, that's the easiest way. I'm with you there BC, no doubts!

1. 61
      badcompany99posted 7 years ago in reply to this

Mine is starting to pick up again to about a $1 a day so I am thinking if I kick my lazy ass into gear and write a hub every other day I might actually do well !

7. Will Apse profile image90
    Will Apseposted 7 years ago

Analytics is useful for a lot of reasons. I keep an eye on the average view time of important pages. If there is a steady decline over a week or so its worth adding some fresh content.

If there is a steady increase after that. you got it right. If not add some more or rewrite anything that looks second rate.

The view time stats in hubpages are averages over a long period and don't help much.

I always check view time as soon as I start to get traffic for a page. Its the only way to know if the traffic will grow or fall without more work going in.