Integrate the right justified picture step into the text capsule

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Jerrico Usher profile image55
    Jerrico Usherposted 16 years ago

I wonder if it would be possible to add the "add a picture" feature into the text capsule. I do alot of pictures to the right of my text but the extra step of adding the picture capsule sizing it moving up up from the bottom of the stack gets excruciating. If you could allow us to edit the text and add a picture that automatically sizes and integrates to the side of the text this would save us alot of work! I find writing my hub is very easy, takes about an hour, but the inserting of pictures and capsules is the part that takes me several days. IN segmenting my article into paragraphs with subheadings this isn’t so hard, but then I have to go grab the photos in a separate step and with another two steps to put it on the side of the text (right aligned) its time consuming. If we could just click edit in the text capsule and a tab was added for adding a right justified picture, then some radio buttons for size and text box for caption this would really help us out and we can take all those wasted steps and consolidate that time into more hubs.. I have 6 I'm working on now and I'm losing so much time with this photo step.

I realize we can format in advance, click add text capsule then photo then text and so on but when I go back I often add text then need a new text capsule and photo and so on and as my page becomes a bit long I have to add capsule (only choice is at the bottom of the stack then excruciating step to move it up) and I lose patience with all this extra work.

Second idea/ helpful tip

1.  Add a "Move to top" feature in the capsule ordering panel, so instead of having to drag the bottom one to the top (sometimes we want to add the text or picture capsule near the top but its an irritating process to drag it up, if we drop it and scroll it can get lost as the title of the capsule only shows up after you exit editing and reopen (a refresh instantly feature would be nice too). this gives us an easy way to orient our added capsule so its added on the stack in the closer section top third down or bottom third up etc..

I find If I can just bounce the new capsules to the top its only a few steps to insert it to the top half of the page where as dragging it manually from either the page itself or the ordering panel both take a lot of patience and the frustration inhibits my creative spirit

Solution 1.  The add text add picture etc.. is a long bar utilizing only half the space of the bar, for the title so an easy solution would be cut the button in half and make it two buttons/picture links, side by side one for add capsule to the top of the stack, one for add to the bottom of the stack this would be an instant fix to this problem (and all rockyou.com type sites use this feature for you to organize your picture order for the slide show)

Simply add the functionality to add to top or bottom of stack instead of ONLY bottom

adding the picture that we want to right justify with the text is a popular feature and integrating it into the text capsule itself can save 4 valuable time saving steps (and frustration)

I hope you consider this as I’m sure many Huber’s are experiencing the same frustration.

Jerrico

2. Jerrico Usher profile image55

doesnt someone want this feature?

1. darkside profile image63
      darksideposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Actually, no.

If I were a programmer at HubPages Inc I'd be feeling pretty good about having a Picture Capsule that can be used with the Text and other capsules. Both inline and inset.

Adding picture functionality to a Text Capsule would be very low on my priority list.

Being a user of HubPages I don't see that clicking and dragging an extra capsule all that time consuming. Indeed the few seconds it takes to do it does give me time to consider whether I'm better off using the Picture Capsule as a header (like I do in http://hubpages.com/hub/fonts) or inset. But for the most part I have my content typed up in a Notepad text doc and organised into capsule sized chunks ready to go.

Jerrico Usherposted 16 years agoin reply to this

it is time consuming, I have to drag the photo capsule from the bottom to the top/middle, then click reorder which takes a minute (and Im on a 10 meg/s connection) how can you say this is useless when it would allow you to put your picture in at the same time as your text? that makes no sense to me

1. darkside profile image63
          darksideposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Where did I say anything was useless?

my mistake I think I just interpreted hastly sorry.. but the dragging thing was resolved by clicking the left mouse button (hold the box) then using the scroll wheel in the middle of the mouse to do the scrolling (as opposed to draging it up the screen move the screen under it with the scroll feature) also to note this makes the box not seem to  be under your mouse pointer until you move the mouse ball/laser in some direction(so while scrolling the capsule your dragging up doesnt show up, when you stop scrolling its still not under the mouse (which caused me to think it fell down and not sure where it went, when you just move the mouse on the desk it appears again smile

3. Mark Knowles profile image57
    Mark Knowlesposted 16 years ago

If you look through the old requests on the forums, this has been asked for before.

There are some technical and aesthetic reasons for this not being an option at the moment.

4. Mark Knowles profile image57
    Mark Knowlesposted 16 years ago

I don't think this would help in any way. The suggestions you are making will only be of use to a few people. I do not find it frustrating the way it is at the moment. A "move to top" feature could only possibly be any use on a short hub. Some of my hubs have lots of photo capsules, and if I moved one to the top, I would then have to move it back down to where I wanted it, which would actually mean more work.

I did find the system counter intuitive when I first started, mainly because I was used to a blog-type platform where I could drag in any thing I wanted from one screen to another.

But after a while, I worked out how to use it, and the best way I have found is to prepare everything in advance and add capsules in the order they will be shown rather than throw everything in and then re-order them.

Just remember the 6 Ps big_smile

my problem is that I do that (order them in advance then as I proof read I add a bunch of stuff, even 5 6 extra capsules worth  but their all over top middle bottom.. the add capsule idea wasn’t about one option it was about adding a to top or to bottom (your choice of either or)

I did discover a solution to the problem I was having, when you drag the capsule in the ordering box it scrolls up excruciatingly slow once you hit the top of the page (but not the top of the order capsule box) and a lot of the time I would hit a road block/brick wall and I couldn’t get it to move up any further (bug in the code?) but I realized if I hold down the left click on the mouse then with my middle finger scroll the middle scroll wheel (is a bit counter intuitive like using your left hand for the mouse if your right handed) this seems to shoot it up fast actually in real time where by dragging it by clicking it and just scraping it up the screen was too dam slow.

That was my main concern and this seems to resolve it..

5. Jerrico Usher profile image55

Would be a neat thing to make the capsules drag drop for the picture thing, i.e. you set the picture in the photo capsule then drag it on top of a text capsule then drop it and it just moves into position as it does anyway when you hit the side then up/down aarow, would save a step if you could just drop it, or even if you could drag the window instead of having to hit arrows only to move it up.. wonder why we can drag it in the order pane but not in the page pain..

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)