jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)

Email from Adsense

1. lrohner profile image86
    lrohnerposted 7 years ago

I just received the following email from Adsense, and I'm not quite sure I understand what they're trying to say. Can anyone help to translate? smile

We're writing to let you know about an upcoming update in your AdSense account designed to help you generate the maximum revenue from your ad units. You'll soon be able to allow multiple ad networks to show on your pages, which means that advertisers from external Google-certified networks will be able to compete with AdWords advertisers for your ad space.

If you're unfamiliar with what ad networks are, they're companies that partner with advertisers and publishers to buy and sell ads on sites they don't own themselves, similar to AdSense. Ads from these networks will compete with Google ads to show on publisher sites, and the ad generating the highest revenue for publishers will be displayed.

To ensure the quality of the ads appearing on your sites, we're certifying all participating ad networks for adherence to our standards for user privacy, ad quality, and speed. You'll also have control over which networks can show ads on your pages -- you can choose to opt out of receiving ads from specific networks, or all networks completely. This means you can continue to show ads from only AdWords advertisers if you'd like.

Finally, some ad networks use tools similar to Google's interest-based advertising to show more relevant ads to users on the sites they visit. These ad networks won't be permitted to collect data from your site for the purpose of subsequent interest-based advertising, but we'll allow those who comply with user privacy guidelines to show ads using these tools. You'll have the ability to opt out of showing ads based on user interests from these ad networks, and we've changed our requirements for third-party ad serving to reflect this. More information is available at http://adwords.google.com/support/bin/a … swer=94230 .

These new capabilities will automatically be enabled for your account, and you'll see a new section in your Ad Review Center where you can allow or block specific ad networks. Please note that we'll gradually be adding new ad networks to AdSense accounts over the next few months, so you won't see any immediate impact on your ads or your earnings.

2. Aya Katz profile image90
    Aya Katzposted 7 years ago

That does sound very confusing.

I wonder why I didn't get an email like that.

1. Misha profile image76
      Mishaposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Probably because BigG has hundreds thousands of publishers, and it takes some time for email to reach everybody smile

3. Lily Rose profile image84
    Lily Roseposted 7 years ago

I got the same email today and was also confused - saved it to try and figure out another day.  Going to bed now to recover - g'nite all!

4. lrohner profile image86
    lrohnerposted 7 years ago

My best guess is that they're opening up the AdSense channels to folks like Commission Junction or AdBrite???

1. livewithrichard profile image87
      livewithrichardposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Google is allowing 3rd party advertisers to compete for their adspace.  Those advertisers will work through Google and googles code that is already on your sites(if you have other sites) It's a pretty good move on their part, I think.

You don't have to do anything except monitor those ads and if they are ads you do not want on your site then you have to put them through the filter to stop them from appearing.

1. lrohner profile image86
        lrohnerposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Thanks, LWR. I can see that it's a good thing for them. Is it a good thing for us?

I don't see how it can be bad for us, it gives us more potential advertisers to display on our sites.  Not sure how it will play out here on HP but I don't think HP would Opt out of it.  From my understanding, those 3rd party advertisers will pay google who will then pay us.

1. 0
            ryankettposted 7 years ago in reply to this

But that just adds another middle man?

Advertiser - Commission Junction - Google Adsense - Publisher

As oppossed to:-

Advertiser - Google Adsense - Publisher

Is this really going to be a good thing, or is this going to drive down our cut?

It's all too new to say, but I'm pretty sure Google is going to get the same amount of payout for allowing the 3rd party advertisers access to their ad space and there are many larger sites that are going to the pay per click model, like CJ and Ebay.

Ebay is one of their 3rd party advertisers so that can present a conflict if you are promoting ebay items.

Publishers have the right to opt out of this new addition, so it will be interesting to find out where HP stands on it, since this is their site and hold the right to opt out.  Maybe we'll get an HP official update on the matter soon.

5. fayans profile image25
    fayansposted 7 years ago

.....designed to help you generate the maximum revenue from your ad units.

As a publisher, that statement alone sounds good to me anyhow.