jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (19 posts)

Hub manners?

1. Zsuzsy Bee profile image84
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 9 years ago

Can someone tell me what the right "behavior" is? When someone sign on as my fan what should I do??? Do I thank them? Do I acknowledge the new fan? Do I become their fan in return? In the past I've become a fan of many hubbers once I read an article that I enjoy. Then it becomes my "homework" to read and comment on some or maybe even all their hubs.
    I don't want to be rude.
    Thanks
    regards Zsuzsy

1. darkside profile image82
      darksideposted 9 years ago in reply to this

You don't have to do any of the above.

Only do what you feel comfortable doing.

Feeling obliged takes all the fun out of hubbing.

2. Jerrico Usher profile image60
      Jerrico Usherposted 9 years ago in reply to this

well proper net edicate states you should send them 5.00 for becoming your fan.. now I have been waiting for my money and I figured you just had so many other fans to get around to but... wink

just kiddin ya.. a nice little response to their comment is always nice.. I pay them tribute by checking out at least one of their hubs smile

3. profile image0
      Iðunnposted 9 years ago in reply to this

zsu, pretty much what they all said.  if some people have boundary issues and are hurt that you don't meet their commenting expectations, you are better off severing that earlier simply by choosing yourself what you do and don't wish to use your time for.  You have a right to your own time and your own choices. 

For me, generally if someone becomes a fan, usually I fan back.  I don't necessarily have the time to read a lot of Hubs, other days I do.  Sometimes I feel social enough to comment, often not.

Bascially I understand.  You want to be couteous and use good manners, but try to remember if someone else is hurt because they can't control what you do with your time, they aren't being courteous to you to start with and don't deserve it back.  Courtesy is not a one-way street.

I generally try to stop in on favs IF I'm in reading mode, but I have lots of people whose work (mostly poets) I read and up thumb who probably don't have the slightest clue I've come through. :p

2. spuds profile image20
    spudsposted 9 years ago

I would thank them if you wish. Don't feel obliged to become their fan to though. Only become a fan of someone if you actually like their hubs.

3. Kenny Wordsmith profile image83
    Kenny Wordsmithposted 9 years ago

Yes, Zsuzsy, I read your hubs because I enjoy them, not because I have to.

4. VioletSun profile image69
    VioletSunposted 9 years ago

That's a good question, Zsuzsy,  as I also don't like to be rude. I recieved one fan mail, and that,  I felt replying to was the right thing to do.  I guess, just being ourselves, and reading the hubs that attracts our interest and leaving comments because its fun as darkside suggests, is the best way to go. I am having fun in this community, we have some very good writers and very good hubs; have printed 3 of them to read offline.  I hope the quality of he HubPages always remains high, as it is now.

1. Jerrico Usher profile image60

realize folks their not always becoming a fan to befriend you, sometimes they just want to read your stuff, like a particular hub and want access back to it later (like a favorites feature of sorts) and the like.. I notice when people want to befirend me thats when they leave a comment.. I always respond back to them but I dont generally contact them unless they say something to me first just in case they'd rather just be an anonymous reader of my work.. to each their own though..

Jerrico

2. Jerrico Usher profile image60

the people who do visit it love the very controlled yet still creative format of our pages.. rich but not too vast in look and feel to make you feel overwhelmed (no moving gifs thank god).. when I sign someone up they always say how clean and slick the pages look.. Ilike that about this, I hated the capsule idea at first but the way it forces the page to look classy is worth the work (I'm used to using an html editor drag drop, build as you see it but i love the feel of a hub page article very nice to look at,

jerrico

1. VioletSun profile image69
        VioletSunposted 9 years ago in reply to this

I agree with you Jerrico, Hubpages is a very good design, very pleasing to look at, and user friendly.

5. Zsuzsy Bee profile image84

Thank you all for your answers. I have become a hub-a-holic and don't want to do the wrong thing.
    regards Zsuzsy

6. Isabella Snow profile image89
    Isabella Snowposted 9 years ago

What is up with the text in this thread? Has the font gone wonkey?

7. Mark Knowles profile image61
    Mark Knowlesposted 9 years ago

The font is getting smaller with every post. Perhaps there is a good reason for this and it will disappear completely after 20 posts?

8. Isabella Snow profile image89
    Isabella Snowposted 9 years ago

Interesting. There are several other threads which could benefit from a trip into wonderland...

9. thooghun profile image86
    thooghunposted 9 years ago

Font getting smaller? A new technique to quell the extended drama threads perhaps?

10. Mark Knowles profile image61
    Mark Knowlesposted 9 years ago

Hmmm. It seems to be fixed now, although I rather though it was a good idea....

1. darkside profile image82
      darksideposted 9 years ago in reply to this

I can smell a patent!

Flaming Retardant™

It's hard to be angry when your font size is diminishing.

11. profile image0
    Iðunnposted 9 years ago

lol smile

12. Zsuzsy Bee profile image84

Thanks for all the input. (I hope that term is still in use)
    regards Zsuzsy

working