jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (10 posts)

Define Leadership

1. HubChief profile image68
    HubChiefposted 7 years ago

I spent whole this evening debating the leadership however, I want to ask hubbers, what is leadership in your view. Define.. Do you think leaders and managers are the same or different?

Only serious content please!

1. marinealways24 profile image59
      marinealways24posted 7 years ago in reply to this

I think true leaders teach others to lead themselves. I think corrupt leaders teach followers to rely on the leaders.

2. mythomark profile image60
      mythomarkposted 7 years ago in reply to this

A leader is someone who has vision. A leader can make that vision manifest on his own or with a team of others.  A leader is a decision maker.  He is able to interpret feedback, and date, and your knowledge expertise and intuition to achieve the desired outcome.

2. rsmallory profile image83
    rsmalloryposted 7 years ago

No, I do not think they are the same. A manager is a title, a position. Leadership is a quality of character. You can be a manager and not be a leader. But you can not lead if you can not manage people or circumstances.

Leadership is the ability to motivate yourself and/or others to accomplish a task or to go a certain route. To set an example for others to follow. To direct or give direction.

3. wesleycox profile image82
    wesleycoxposted 7 years ago

Leadership is influencing people by providing purpose, direction, and motivation while operating to accomplish a task and improve the organization.

I agree with rs, you can be a manager and have no leadership skills or qualities, whereas to be a leader you need to have managerial skills.

4. Lisa HW profile image83
    Lisa HWposted 7 years ago

They're not the same at all.  The world is full of managers who aren't leaders at all.  In fact, many managers are stuck in the status quo, while leaders look for better ways to do things; and aren't likely to be satisfied status quo.  There's a whole set of characteristics/traits that make a leader, and it has nothing to do with what job s/he has.

(I actually think one reason the economy has gotten in as much trouble as it has is that too few managers, executives, and politicians are truly leaders.)

5. AEvans profile image73
    AEvansposted 7 years ago

The ability to lead not only yourself but others without any regret or malice. To work side-by-side with your employees and build a stronger partnership with them. Your employees are what makes you, you do not make your employees and without them we would not be anything. smile

6. HubChief profile image68
    HubChiefposted 7 years ago

thnaks to all for sharing your views.

7. 0
    ralwusposted 7 years ago

I was a certified manager years ago, and yes a real manager is a leader, or should be. If a manager is not a leader, he is not a manager. I'm sure you know what a leader is or should be and one can be in many areas of life, some of them are not good for following, such as Charles Manson.

8. asalvani profile image74
    asalvaniposted 7 years ago

Leadership is movement that everyone follows, and it is not if no one does.