jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (13 posts)

Duplicating content

1. A2shley profile image61
    A2shleyposted 7 years ago

Ever have a brilliant idea for a hub page and then check online to see someone else has written the exact same thing!?!  What are your thoughts or suggestions about this?  I have an idea that I would like to write about but there is one page that has already addressed the topic.  Are we a "more the merrier" or "already been covered - move on" content community?  Thanks!!!

1. Sally's Trove profile image99
      Sally's Troveposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Everyone here has given excellent advice...I'll add that Hubbers are not the only readers of our Hubs, nor are our Hubs in any way "locked in" to this community.  All readers on the World Wide Web have the opportunity to find and read a piece published at HubPages.  With that large a potential readership, any number of views on a single topic is both welcome and sought after, to SimeyC's point.

2. 0
      cosetteposted 7 years ago in reply to this

it wouldn't surprise me if every single hub topic on hubpages has been written about before. i never check to see if anyone wrote about it before because they probably have. the only thing I check for is does it violate hubpages rules. I wanted to publish a hub I wrote about Steve Colbert the other day, but since it wasn't exactly a nice hub, I didn't, since hubpages doesn't allow "hateful" content, although it wasn't hateful but could be considered as such by some - anyway, it's all about putting your own spin on it, maybe sprinkling in your personal experience and writing style to make it your own.  good luck with your hub - now I'm all curious wink

2. Suspect20 profile image81
    Suspect20posted 7 years ago

There is nothing wrong with covering a topic that has already been posted about.  No one should have the same exact content you we're planning on posting, and no one else can offer the same insight and opinion as your personal outlook.  Reading multiple views on the same topic or issue is never a bad thing,  the more information available the more informed the reader of the topic will become.

I would suggest not worrying about the other post at all.  Don't read it and try to be different, and certainly don't avoid a topic just because someone else expressed a similar view.  Write your article as you intended, and don't let the content of someone else influence what you want to share.

3. SimeyC profile image88
    SimeyCposted 7 years ago

When I 'surf' the web using a search engine, I really want to see multiple opinions. There's no way that one site on a subject is going to have all the information, or if it does I want a second opinion to agree!

So therefore - I'd say don't worry about the other site - just create your site - you're giving the reader more information, or the ability to see a different point of view.

4. CMHypno profile image90
    CMHypnoposted 7 years ago

If you are really interested in a topic, go for it and write about it.  You will have a unique voice, your own thoughts and opinions on the subject, and your own writing style.  After all, there aren't that many topics out there that haven't been written about before.

5. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 7 years ago

Go for it.  I'm sure it will be unique to you big_smile

6. readytoescape profile image61
    readytoescapeposted 7 years ago

I agree with SimeyC. When searching topics or even purchases Multiple points of view and/or sources for comparisan and evaluation is usually the best decision making paradym.

7. darkside profile image85
    darksideposted 7 years ago

Covering the same topic isn't duplicating content.

If you can write about it with experience or have researched the subject and can provide a unique viewpoint, then go for it.

8. LVM profile image55
    LVMposted 7 years ago

It's alright to write about the same idea.  Just don't copy and paste the source material.  You may actually write the same thing as long as you say it in your own words, and not verbatim, word for word duplicate.

9. 0
    Louidam1posted 7 years ago

Duplicating is copying word for word.  And thats not what you are going to do so go for it!!

10. A2shley profile image61
    A2shleyposted 7 years ago

Thanks everyone!  I really appreciate the perspective smile I'm off to write!

11. 59
    jclatelyposted 7 years ago

There are about 6 billion people on this crazy, mixed up planet. Therefore the odds of writing something that hasn't been written about in some way-shape-or form-is, well, 1 in 6 billion. Write about whatever it is and try to make YOUR OWN viewpoint or manner a little different and be happy!!