jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

Which words are not allowed to be used in Hubs?

1. asalvani profile image73
    asalvaniposted 7 years ago

Hi there, I was going to write a funny double-act that will be coming in series in different hubs and there might be use of words that are naturally spoken but not in use when written.

Do you normally use any words that you like, or you limit yourself using only polite words?

1. shamelabboush profile image58
      shamelabboushposted 7 years ago in reply to this

If the word is very essential to the context, you can use abbreviations or aserisks like: What the F***. or; he used the F word...etc Otherwise, it's not commendable to use profanity...

2. relache profile image86
    relacheposted 7 years ago

The HubPages details what language is and isn't allowed in Hubs, specifically point #4.

1. 0
      Pacal Votanposted 7 years ago in reply to this

WTH? We have people here who know the user agreement by heart? lol

3. 0
    Ghost32posted 7 years ago

I'll use things like Hell (in more or less the original, literal meaning of the term), and occasionally a dang with here and there a rare, in-context damn.  But overall it makes more sense to me to stick closer to Bill Cosby than to Richard Pryor despite the fact that I personally enjoy Pryor's work to the max.

Reason:  These writings go out on the Internet where children worldwide can read them.  Since I'm not a banger from the hood, I make no attempt to talk (or write) like one.  We never know how our efforts may have affected a reader, and there are definitely times when nothing says it like profanity...but even Richard Nixon swore mostly in semi-private, not in his public speeches during election years.

Bottom line:  If what I write would have a wholesome effect were my nine year old granddaughter to read it, then it's okay.  If not, then it's time to edit...because even if she doesn't ever come across the Hub, someone else's granddaughter surely will.

asalvaniposted 7 years ago in reply to this

That is very thoughtful, thank you

2. Jane@CM profile image60
      Jane@CMposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Excellent point.  I feel the same way big_smile

4. 0
    Ghost32posted 7 years ago

Asalvani, you're very welcome.

5. sabrebIade profile image85
    sabrebIadeposted 7 years ago

I love that Hub Pages is transparent when it comes to what you can and cannot do.
    Other companies (that shall remain nameless) wait till you mess up and then nail you, and won't tell you exactly (or sometimes even vaguely) what you did wrong.

Any problem I have ever had with a Hub, the Hub Pages team has written me and told me exactly what to fix.

As for me, I try not to use anything that could be taken wrong.
    That may be why I don't write about controversial topics...LOL
    IRL, I tend to get a tad carried away and go Samuel L Jackson on people that I think deserve it.
    But this is a global community so I keep myself in check.

asalvaniposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Thanks, I think I will do the same