jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Do we need to report spammy posts to our hubs?

1. rmcrayne profile image96
    rmcrayneposted 7 years ago

I have a "comment" on my breast cancer hub from "Mike", with no substanative value: "good work, help me alot" w/ a link to a blogspot blog, fashionlip.  Clicking Mike does not go to a HP bio, it to goes to fashionlip.  Opening page has a bathing suit clad woman with breasts as big as my head. I guess that's how he wound up on my page, but hardly the same context for breasts.   

I know I need to "deny" the comment.  Do I need to report it?

2. darkside profile image81
    darksideposted 7 years ago

After you've clicked on Deny, click on Spam. That will flag the user and/or IP address (if they're not signed up and you've allowed comments by non-members).

rmcrayneposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Thank you darkside.  I've definitely read some of your stuff.  I'm on a brief reprieve from reading right now.  I tend to read myself silly on things I'm interested in.  As a new hubber, sometimes I think my head will spin.  Doubt I'm alone on that. 

I don't recall an opportunity where I could choose one way or the other on allowing comments from non HP members. 

I clicked SPAM.  My choices are now "not spam" and "delete forever".

1. darkside profile image81
        darksideposted 7 years ago in reply to this

While in edit mode for the hub, click on edit on the Comment capsule.

You can turn on or off this bit: Only signed-in users may post comments

rmcrayneposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Is this what you advise, restrict to registered viewers, to minimize spam &/or other problems?

3. LVM profile image54
    LVMposted 7 years ago

@darkside,

Remember when my hubberscore was bottomrock and everyone was giving me all sorts of advice.  Someone said remove all the spammy comments.  I deleted all the comments that contain a link, unmindful where the link is headed, inside or outside of hubpages.  I simply deleted everything with a clickable link inside the comment.

Did I do anything wrong there?  Thanks for another helpful advice.

1. darkside profile image81
      darksideposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Most of the time when a person has a link, it's not related to the topic of the hub. It would be nice if it was, but if it's just for the purposes of self promotion, I delete them or spam them.

working