jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (10 posts)

Help! Too hot to write!

1. Mighty Mom profile image92
    Mighty Momposted 7 years ago

Hello hubbers,
    I know some of you are in the middle of your winter and others live in more temperate climates. So use your imagination to feel the rivulets of sweat dripping down my spine...
    It's the end of August. I lin the blazing CA sun and yesterday it was 105 degrees AND our A/C went out. Not intending to whine here...

Looking for some fun, whimsical, practical or even naughty (within the limits of HP regs) suggestions on how to keep my brain cool so I can get back to writing!

Many thanks to my way COOL friends! MM

1. 0
      cosetteposted 7 years ago in reply to this

In addition to taking care of the external (wearing less clothes, putitng the fan on, etc.), I do things to the inside like drinking ice cold water (with ice chips in it) while watching something like Fargo or The Thing with Kurt Russell, where people are living in freezing conditions. that actually tricks your mind a little bit and makes you feel a little chilly, even. good luck with your writing! p.s. The Thing is worth it just to see Kurt Russell in that giant hat - somehow he manages to pull it off - Any other guy would look like an idiot.

2. Misha profile image75
    Mishaposted 7 years ago

I know you are hawt MM, you don't need to re-iterate it smile

3. Treasured Pasts profile image86
    Treasured Pastsposted 7 years ago

You could try writing in an ice cold bath! Might be hard to keep your mind on your work though. Falling asleep would be a bad thing too.

4. Anti-Valentine profile image94
    Anti-Valentineposted 7 years ago

Well, I've written a hub on ways to stay cool in summer* if that would help.

* Link not included.

5. 0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 7 years ago

take a waterproof zip-lock baggie filled with ice cubs and wrap it in a light towel and just put it between your lower back and chair.

6. sparksdaniel2000 profile image79
    sparksdaniel2000posted 7 years ago

I am in california as well, and i am typing this as i sit nder a fan and boy i tell ya each word is an effort....geeeeeez its hot!

7. Aqua profile image80
    Aquaposted 7 years ago

Your AC went out? That sucks!

I'm in the northern part of CA and it's hot here too. Wrap a really cold towel across the back of your neck and that might help. I do that sometimes when I'm out gardening. It looks funny but what the hey?

8. Mighty Mom profile image92
    Mighty Momposted 7 years ago

Thanks everyone for the refreshing suggestions!
    I'm a little concerned about writing in the cool tub as I could so easily electrocute myself (I always keep my laptop plugged in and I worry that on battery I oculd drop it in and fry it -- and it's new!).
    The old ice behind the back trick is a good one!
    Anti-Valentine's hub is actually chock full of great ideas. Reminds me that a couple of weeks ago I was walking home from my mother-in-law's house in sandals. Not walking sandals -- dress sandals. I took them off and attempted to go barefoot. The sidewalk was so hot I totally burned the bottoms of my feet. I've never seen blisters that big!

I've actually shut up the house to keep the afternoon sun/heat out. And am sitting with a fan blowing. This is a good spot and I don't imagine I will be moving from it for several hours....

But I would be happy to share my extra-large pitcher of lemonade with you all. Feel free to add vodka if that's your thing!

9. bgpappa profile image85
    bgpappaposted 7 years ago

I agree MM, it has been too damn hot here in Sactown