jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (14 posts)

How to back up, your work to disk?

1. goodfriendiam profile image60
    goodfriendiamposted 7 years ago

How do I save my work, and down load it to disk? And how much does a disk hold? I guess it would be, cds for your computer, I don't know I am all new to this stuff.......lol..Help!!!

1. Angel Of Love profile image79
      Angel Of Loveposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I haven't heard of a way to backup the hubs.  All you can do is copy and paste them into your wordprocessor and save them to your hard disk.

2. Jane@CM profile image59
      Jane@CMposted 7 years ago in reply to this

First of all, where do you write your work - do you write on MS Word or Typepad, or do you write directly into your hubs?

To save you work on to a cd, if you are using an internal program, just click "save as" a screen will pop up and ask you which drive you want to save it in, and click the drive that your cd is in.  OR go buy a jump drive at Target or Best Buy, it plugs right into your computer and again, do a "save as" and save it to the jump drive.

If your hubs are not on word or typepad & you want to save them, I would simply go into the edit mode of your hub, copy & paste it to your internal program (like Word, Works or typepad) and save.

1. LVM profile image55
        LVMposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I wish HubPages have a backup facility which downloads all of your hubs into a single compressed file.  If you're maintaining your own website, you know that webhosting sites have such a facility.  With a push of a button, all your webpages are saved into a single file on your computer's hard disk.

2. EdG. profile image60
    EdG.posted 7 years ago

If you want to back up small files such as word documents, cd's are fine. However, for larger files, or simply the entire computer, I would suggest an external hard drive or a high memory flash drive. They can be pricey, but it may be worth it if your computer is damaged or contracts a virus.

3. goodfriendiam profile image60
    goodfriendiamposted 7 years ago

Thanks guys for all the help. I don't write them in word I just write them right in the hub. I guess I am going to learn quick on how to do it.Thanks again

1. LVM profile image55

I also write directly in the hub using the hubtool but I keep a copy of my hubs just in case.  It's kinda tedious though, as I regularly edit my hubs.

4. Lisa HW profile image84
    Lisa HWposted 7 years ago

goodfriendiam, I think the easiest way to first copy your Hubs onto your PC is to go to "edit Hub" and then go to "edit" for the text capsule.  Once you're there you can right-click and "select all".  Once you've "selected all" you then "copy".  From there, open Word Pad and paste the text there, then save it.  Once you've turned them into files on your PC you can insert a blank disk (they hold a real lot of files); and copy each of the files onto the disk. 

When I write a Hub I write into Word Pad (because something can always go wrong if you're writing directly into HubPages).  I also save any images onto my PC before downloading them into a Hub.  That way, if I did need them to go with the text again I'll have them.

If I have a lot of links I'll save the URL's for them too.  If there's only a few I don't.  I figure I can find them again later if necessary.

I have all my writing (and other files) both on disks and on a memory pen.  How much any disk holds depends on the disk; but to give you an idea, I have hundreds and hundreds of text files on one disk.

5. sunforged profile image68
    sunforgedposted 7 years ago

My opinion for the BEST way to back up your hubs (opening text capsukles is tedious and you lose formatting)

is to open your hub - scroll down to the bottom click "Print" than click get .pdf

Doesnt get quicker than that!

1. LVM profile image55

Gee, that was a great idea.  I'll check it out.  Thanks.

1. Lisa HW profile image84
        Lisa HWposted 7 years ago in reply to this

That IS a better way.   smile   I guess my approach has come from my leanings to save things in a way that make me feel I have quickest access to "raw material".  I guess approaches grow out of whatever we plan to do our stuff (if anything) after saving it.  Think I may change my ways, though.   smile

2. goodfriendiam profile image60
      goodfriendiamposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Oh I like this idea the best for me...thanks so much...now I just need to go out and buy a printer....lol thanks

6. E. A. Wright profile image87
    E. A. Wrightposted 7 years ago

I'd second sunforged's suggestion about saving hubs as pdfs.

7. Lisa HW profile image84
    Lisa HWposted 7 years ago

Oopsy - I may not change my ways after all.  I just did the print/PDF thing twice (same Hub) and lost the last portions of letters/words (didn't check) on the right-hand margin.  The PDF looks niftier, but maybe having the plain text isn't so bad after all.

Also, I must be doing something wrong but, I keep getting the HubPages "working" thing (with the little "wheel-thing" that comes when something's happening as we edit) at the bottom of the PDF.  I've done it several times, making sure I waited until prompted on the PDF, etc.; but the "working" keeps showing up.