jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (11 posts)

Duplicate articles

1. aslanlight profile image79
    aslanlightposted 7 years ago

I'm not exactly sure why duplicate articles should be a problem if they're the author's own work.

Anway I posted something I've posted elsewhere and it says it's a duplicate so I deleted it from the other website and it still says duplicate.

What can I do about it and is it a problem?

1. tantrum profile image60
      tantrumposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Wait until tomorrow and if the flag's still there, contact hubpages team. Welcome ! smile

1. aslanlight profile image79
        aslanlightposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Thanks Tantrum!

I'm just hoping I haven't posted it elsewhere too and forgotten about it.

That's a great name by the way; I should have called myself Disgruntled. wink

1. tantrum profile image60
          tantrumposted 7 years ago in reply to this

you can re write it changing some words and putting paragraphs in different places. give it a try !

2. relache profile image87
      relacheposted 7 years ago in reply to this

HubPages prefers original content.  And they reward original content with higher HubScores.  Duplicate content gets docked.

If it's your own article and you don't mind having a permanently-lower score, you could leave it.  But site users here tend to be pretty harsh on people who duplicate articles, even if it's your own work.

3. LVM profile image55
      LVMposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Regarding the first question, how do you expect HubPages to know you were the author to another duplicate content?  We probably don't want to go asking around everybody everytime they publish a hub if they own the other copies on other sites.  And if we ask everybody, are we going to believe what they say?

On the question of deleting the other copy from other websites and HubPages can still see it as a duplicate, it's because search engines cache webpages.  Even if you delete the webpage, until after the search engines reindex, your website is still available on the internet.

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
        Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago in reply to this

What LVM says. Once you've been here a while, you'll appreciate the duplicate flag because it means you know if anyone steals your article. We can't expect HP to check every time, to see whether it's our own copy or not - they're only a small team!

The duplicate warning won't go away until the next time the HP team run a check, which may not be for some time. 

The reason they discourage duplicate content is the widespread belief that duplicate content is penalized by search engines.  Since HubPages (and Hubbers) earn virtually all their income through search engine traffic, they want to encourage content that attracts it.

1. relache profile image87
          relacheposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Marisa, I think you are confusing duplicate content flags and the copied content alert.  They are not the same.

A duplicate content flag shows up on the Hub, and it means that the text you are putting in there has already been published somewhere else on the Internet.  That's when HubPages thinks you may be stealing work and your HubScore will be penalized.

The copied content alert is the red copyright symbol that appears on your dashboard and that's the alert that let's you know someone has taken your work from HubPages and produced it elsewhere.  No penalty happens from this, but it's your responsibility to go after the content thieves

4. chasebkelley profile image60
      chasebkelleyposted 7 years ago in reply to this

You might want to redo the entire article/post.
      Once Hubpages flags your article as a duplicate it wont stop until you have made the neccessary changes to your post.
      If you are tired in doing a new article, try to paraphrase it 80% of the article.

1. sunforged profile image68
        sunforgedposted 7 years ago in reply to this

or just add 60% more content that is new - the filter is def based on a percentage

2. Anti-Valentine profile image93
    Anti-Valentineposted 7 years ago

I must remember this. Sometime I want to take down some blog posts, or at least edit them, and put them on HP instead.