jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (15 posts)

Back Problems - Oh the pain

1. mugshot profile image77
    mugshotposted 7 years ago

For the past two weeks I have been suffering excruciating back pain, the Dr thinks its sciatica but also thinks I could potentially have a slipped/herniated/prolapsed disc.

I can barely walk 20 metres the pain is so bad, the pain shoots down my whole right leg, my right calf is constantly feeling like its cramped and my right foot is numb and got pins and needles.

I have an MRI booked in for Friday...has anyone ever had this and can anyone give me any advice to help the pain?

HELP its horrible!

1. asalvani profile image72
      asalvaniposted 7 years ago in reply to this

My father had the same problem 3 years ago and from when he started doing the 5 tibetan rites, it stopped.

I never tried it but for my father worked, so I trust him:)

2. 0
    Crazdwriterposted 7 years ago

I never slipped a disc but dealing with back pain is no joke...deal with it everyday myself. The best advice I can give you...I know it's sounds girly but soak your body espeically your back in a warm bath and make sure to add epsom Salt. that stuff is GREAT. it helps relax the muscles and hopefully will help you with the pain in your back for a while until they figure out what is going on.

mugshotposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Warm baths are totally helping my wife made me lay in one for about 25 mins yesterday...I went all wrinkly but my back felt loads better. I think its in part to all the girly bath salt thingys she put in there!

1. 0
        Crazdwriterposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Oh trust me the people who makes those stuff know what they are doing lol My hubby takes baths sometimes too. it ain't TOO girly hehe

mugshotposted 7 years ago in reply to this

As long as my back holds out this is what Im going as lol

P.S For some reason this pic is distorted slightly....Im much better looking in real life wink lol

3. Davinagirl3 profile image59
    Davinagirl3posted 7 years ago

It does sound like sciatica.  My husband had it so bad, he could hardly walk at all.  Back pain is the worst.  I hope you find out what is wrong, so you can get back to your old self.

4. 0
    rednckwmnposted 7 years ago

well, I am no doctor. DEFF get checked!!! I have sciatica, it is awfull. I spent MONTHS unable to get into my own bed. PT helped tremendously, your back is greatly effected by how good your abs are. if someoen will do this for you, it can help a little bit, for a while. Get an ice cube, and rub it over your bothersome hip. Right where your hips turn into your back, kinda looks like a dimple. Its cold and drippy, so lay on a towel, but it does give some relief. If it is truly your sciatic nerve, you are going to need to do stretches to realx the muscles pulling on it. They will hlep. Good luck!!

5. 0
    rednckwmnposted 7 years ago

oh yeah, epsom salts are fantastic. and a massage with rubbing aclohol can help too.

6. 0
    ralwusposted 7 years ago

I went through sciatica pain years ago from breaking an ankle and having to work later on it. Very rough time indeed.

7. mugshot profile image77
    mugshotposted 7 years ago

Thanks all, Im currently on diclafenac (three 50mg pills a day) and they are making no difference.

@ Rednkwmn -Being a powerlifter I know my abs are very strong so no probs there but Ill deffo try out the salts n ice. I had a nice long hot bath yesterday which seemed to relax me a bit and help for a little while.

Im hoping the MRI shows its sciatica and that there is no issue with my spine...last thing I need is a slipped disc. To make matters worse its my mums 60th on Friday and Im supposed to be at her Masquerade ball....Ill just be sitting and not moving me thinks!

1. 0
      rednckwmnposted 7 years ago in reply to this

sad well, my abs were not fine, but back stuff runs in my familly...
      In PT, I got to do this thing that helepd. When you lie on your back, put lots and lots of pillows and folded blankets to support your legs, so they are kinda like...90 degrees? And have a hot water bottle or something on your lower back. Also, when you lie on your stonach, make sure the front part of your ankles are slighty raised. It does help. I have been reading about slipped disks, and if they tell you hat is the thing, get a second opinion, you dont always need surgery!!!!

8. 0

ooo that sounds like a fun 60th bday party. your mom is going to have a blast.

Take it easy mmugshot. and I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers hoping that it's not a slipped disk too!

9. 0

very coolpicture mugshot. You could always get a back brace for that night

10. Lisa HW profile image82
    Lisa HWposted 7 years ago

I had that when I was in my early twenties, and it last for a long time until I eventually figured out how to "relax through the pain".  Tightening up the muscles because of the pain seemed to add to the pain, because the muscles got "knotted up".  Relaxing seemed to painful, but if you can get through that temporary thing of feeling the pain get worse when you un-tighten the muscles, eventually the pain can be reduced some.  Then you're only dealing with the "root problem" and not "secondary" pain.

Every so often in the fifteen or so years following, I'd feel it coming on if I moved wrong.  I eventually learned that if I layed across the bed sideways (which means not laying in the usual "gully" made each night in any mattress); and if I stretched my arms up over my head and made a conscious effort to relax the back, I could fight it off.

Between getting the habit of moving a little more correctly, and learning how to fight it off; I've had a very long time now with only very rare episodes (which I'm able to keep short by doing the things I learned through experience).

Something else I learned was that even if it started to seem a little better (not much, but a little) I was more likely to move a little more freely and seem to "re-do" it, sending me back to Square One.

So, I'd say, where you are right now, the first step is to make it a point to consciously relax the area.  There's that natural tendency to keep it tense, and just make it a point to keep telling yourself to relax through the pain.   It's almost like your brain has to actually "speak to" your lower back and "tell it" to relax all through the day.  (Doing this may not help you as it did me, but it won't hurt you either; so it's worth a try - but you have to keep thinking about it and doing it all through each hour/day.  A few times a day isn't enough.)

If you can, you may try the stretching thing.  Try to get your whole back and legs as straight and aligned as possible.  I found (for some reason a non-chiropractor like me doesn't quite understand) that putting both of the arms up over my head and stretched out straight seemed to facilitate the whole "aligning" attempt.

What worked for me was to tell myself just to stop doing any moving that I could possibly avoid.  (That second-down shelf in the refrigerator doesn't seem like a big deal, but it can be a killer.  smile ).  Less moving means less chances of re-doing anything that could be in the process of improving.

What I found was that having things go back in place the right way wasn't as sudden an event as having them get out of whack was.  It felt as if it was a gradual process.  What I learned, though, is that for months afterward I had to be ever vigilant about "no false moves", or else it would start to come back.  (Also, watch out if you sit on any chairs that don't have hard seat.  I got my back kind of going by not noticing that the cushioned chair I always used was getting worn down.  I didn't realize that I was using back muscles to compensate, until I actually got a lump.  I began using a metal desk chair, and within about two days I was good as new. )