jump to last post 1-14 of 14 discussions (18 posts)

will the Post Office exist in twenty years?

1. sparksdaniel2000 profile image80
    sparksdaniel2000posted 7 years ago

im just wondering

1. 59
      macro01posted 7 years ago in reply to this

There is no doubt that there will be change in Postal Service. But I'm not really sure if after 20 years Post Office will cease to exist. Maybe yes in school and in some province areas.

2. livewithrichard profile image85
      livewithrichardposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Sure it will be around.  It may be called something else just as all restaurants then will be called Taco Bell.

3. 0
      cosetteposted 7 years ago in reply to this

hmm. that's a very good question. already some post offices have or are about to cut back, and there is talk about them discontinuing mail services on Saturday. i do everything online, including bill paying, and hardly ever get any mail. in fact, the only mail i ever get is junk mail, now that i think about it.

so yeah, i think in 20 years it will be out of business, mostly because of postal jobs being elimninated and with the proliferation of online shopping w/free shipping and other couriers like UPS, FedEx, etc. readily available, as well as stamps and PO boxes all over the place.

2. vancouver profile image59
    vancouverposted 7 years ago

as long as people ship goods to each other, and ebay is still around im guessing yes. smile

1. guidebaba profile image60
      guidebabaposted 7 years ago in reply to this

3. imadork profile image81
    imadorkposted 7 years ago

4. arvind webmaster profile image61
    arvind webmasterposted 7 years ago

I dnt think that post office can survive.

I can remember last time i use a post office. Now a days every one is using internet or phone ..no one is interested in sending letter..
    What say guys

5. BristolBoy profile image82
    BristolBoyposted 7 years ago

I reckon it will.  We are already seeing various forms of diversification eg offering banking services, telephone, broadband etc.  Whilst there may be some form of reduction in it's size due to emails, texts etc there will still be some use for it. 

I think it is also worth noting that technically the Post Office is separate from the wider Royal Mail, and is currently profitable, partly due to the aforementioned diversification.  Also the Post Office will not be as affected by the sending of less post as the Royal Mail (I should imagine that the vast majority of people now buy their stamps in Tesco, WH Smiths etc and use a red post box anyway).  The Post Office may also benefit in the near term from people going there to send packages for items which they have sold on eBay etc.  All in all I think the Post Office will survive for at least 20 years, as will the rest of the Royal Mail.

6. vancouver profile image59
    vancouverposted 7 years ago

without the/a post office (of fedex/ups/other) how can anyone mail good to each other?

7. 0
    ralwusposted 7 years ago

I think it shall remain. It is too important for commerce. Not quite as much bulk mail coming to me, that's a plus. Besides, that's the only way to ship honey bees to bee keepers. LOL

8. Sasha S profile image80
    Sasha Sposted 7 years ago

In 20 years, I recon the number of letters being sent will be minimal, however, as others have mentioned, there will be a need to send parcels and packages around as long as there's internet shopping!

9. Bard of Ely profile image87
    Bard of Elyposted 7 years ago

I would like to think so! We have lost too many good things from the past already!

10. Beth100 profile image84
    Beth100posted 7 years ago

Maybe the Postal System will morph over the next 20 years and become a central system over the net....hmmm... better run and start programming software for a new system....

11. Jane Dee Summers profile image61
    Jane Dee Summersposted 7 years ago

Should I keep my post box?. Do I need a number on my front gate if there is no postman. Do you think the courier service will knock or phone.

12. 0
    sneakorocksolidposted 7 years ago

It will be merged in with the new healthcare system so when you're sick of their service they'll send you a pill.

13. hubby7 profile image80
    hubby7posted 7 years ago

If it does, it will be greatly scaled down. It will be a mere shadow of its old self. On the other hand, if email replaces snail mail and UPS and Federal Express delivers packages, then perhaps the Post Office will no be needed and will die of its own obsolescence. As the saying goes: "The only certainty is change".

14. 0
    isis_dreams2002posted 7 years ago

what ever the postal service is in the future I just hope it is better then the one we have now