jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

Unknown reasons of fluctuating hubscores

1. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image75
    JYOTI KOTHARIposted 7 years ago

I have big question mark about fluctuating hub scores. I am in hubpages since last one and half year and yet can not understand its working method.

For instance, I had hub score 90 yesterday night that has fallen to 88 today morning (In 12 hours). In between, my traffic has risen by eleven percent (My account Statistics). Moreover, I have started a new hub, commented on some hubs and participated in forum after some days.

Hubpages authorities say that these above mentioned features increase hubscore.

What may be the possible reason of decreasing hubscore?

Jyoti Kothari

1. view profile image77
      viewposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Definitely hubscore has dropped due to some other reason (and not because of increasing traffic).

2. relache profile image87
      relacheposted 7 years ago in reply to this

HubPages does not reveal how they calculate scores as then the system could be gamed.

And traffic isn't everything.

1. yoshi97 profile image88
        yoshi97posted 7 years ago in reply to this

If your score is continuously above 75 then smile, you're doing everything right!

Like the others said ... there is a random element to it all that keeps everyone guessing the 'secret recipe', but the reality is that you only need a 75 to have 'dofollow' links, and Hubpages wouldn't allow them to anyone they thought wasn't writing material that could be profitable. As such, shoot for 75 and remain calm while it stays above that mark.

Now, if it ever falls below 75, you need to look into what you are doing, as then you have done something dreadfully wrong.

**Important note: This information is in regards to older members who have already crossed the 75 watermark. Those who are starting out new will start at the bottom (like we all did) and need only do a bit of research on this site to discover how to raise up above 75 in short time. smile

2. 60
    fun2hubposted 7 years ago

It seems 90 to 88 is just normal fluctuation.

3. Paraglider profile image91
    Paragliderposted 7 years ago

The reason is that the algorithm used to calculate hub scores deliberately includes a random element. This is there to keep things interesting in the Best listings, so that a visitor will not always see the same two dozen hubs hogging the first two pages.

It also means that someone visiting your personal 'Best hubs' listing will see some variety. This is all working in your favour.

There is also a random element in the hubber's score, and for the same reason. My score fluctuates between 93 and 100. I don't give it a second thought unless it starts dropping out of range.

1. anjalichugh profile image88
      anjalichughposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Thx for explaining this. I didn't about this random algorithm concept until now. smile

2. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image75
      JYOTI KOTHARIposted 7 years ago in reply to this

can we guess what may be those random elements? i have also seen that some hubbers are continually maintaining their hubscores.
      Some says that hubscore does not matter if it is over 75. However it matters because a hubber is listed according to his or her hub scores only.
      Jyoti Kothari

4. 0
    Ghost32posted 7 years ago

I used to wonder about it, too.  Not so much any more.  Have figured out what seems to be my own personal pattern, such as it is, for NOW anyway:  If I'm totally active including writing at least a couple of Hubs a week and participating in the Forums, it'll run around 92 to 95 most of the time.  If not, it'll drop as low as 88...doesn't seem to travel much outside of those paramaters except for a "twitch" now and then.

But other than that--I'd do as well trying to beat the House in Vegas.