jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

An Introduction and a few questions

1. Highvoltagewriter profile image87
    Highvoltagewriterposted 7 years ago

I just like to Introduce my self to this community, I have not published any hubs yet, for I want to make sure I have hubs with good quality.

I have been blown away by some of the Hub�s and imformation I have found in here. I want to give gigantic thumbs up to the staff of Hub Pages for a job well done on creating a very unique and possible profitable Writers Community! I have been taking my time checking things out and forming a battle plan on just the kind of Hubs I want to publish.

I am getting ready to plunge in, however I have a few questions that I haven�t seen any answers to. First question is�how do I make sure I get credit for the people who join under me? I belong to a couple of writer clubs and want to invite them to join the party. I am just not sure on how that works. Also, how do I find stock footage of pictures I want to download on my Hub? A little confused on that one. Anyway, just want to make things more official.

1. darkside profile image82
      darksideposted 7 years ago in reply to this
    2. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Welcome, Highvoltage.  The resources Darksides suggests are useful - however, I find Flickr the best place for photos.  The other sites tend to have a good range on popular subjects but if you want something unusual or minority interest, you're out of luck.  Flickr covers a much wider range of subjects and I very rarely have to look anywhere else.

You need to use the Advanced Search.  Enter your search term, then scroll down to the bottom and you'll see a section where you can tick "Creative Commons" and "for commercial use".  If you think you may want to change the picture in any way, tick the third box as well.

This will bring up all the photos you're allowed to use. The only condition is that you must thank the photographer in your Hub, and include a hyperlink to their photostream.  I usually do that in the credits at the end of the Hub, or in a Links capsule.  Note that it's not enough to put "photo by...." as a caption under the photo, because it's not a live link to their photostream.

2. Highvoltagewriter profile image87
    Highvoltagewriterposted 7 years ago

Thanks to Darkside and Marisa Wright...I forgot about Flicker, it is a great source. I am off to go hunt for some photos!