jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

How do I take a "screenshot"?

1. Lily Rose profile image84
    Lily Roseposted 7 years ago

I've seen many hubs that include pictures of a screenshot (is that even the right terminology?) to help instruct how to do something on your computer or to just illustrate an example and I'm just curious as to how to do that; can someone help me out?

2. 0
    rednckwmnposted 7 years ago

This is how I take a screen shot, a picture of whatever is currently on your screen. I have no idea if this will work for you, as my computer is old. On the window you want to copy, push Ctrl and the button that says Print Screen. Then, go to the window you want to copy to, and what I do is right click my mouse on the blank screen or in the field your tryign to fill in, then click paste. Just like cut and paste, only you get a picture of your screen, not just text.

3. jonmarsh profile image78
    jonmarshposted 7 years ago

Just to follow-up rednckwmn, ctrl-Print Scrn captures the entire screen, while alt-Print Scrn captures just the active window.

1. 0
      rednckwmnposted 7 years ago in reply to this

awesome. didnt know that.  smile

4. emievil profile image84
    emievilposted 7 years ago

You can also try screen shots software. I used Snag It and 101 Free Screen Shots. They're available on the Internet but there are charges after the trial period. I like 101 Free Screen Shots because it is easier to crop the pictures after you capture them on screen. Hope this helps.

5. Lily Rose profile image84
    Lily Roseposted 7 years ago

Thanks!  I knew there had to be an easy way to do it and I wondered if it had anything to do with the print screen button...I'll give it a try now! 

If I wanted to edit it after pasting it, say, in a Word document, would I be able to do that (and how?) or would I require additional software for that?

Thanks again for the great responses!