jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Texas and California Houses

1. fishskinfreak2008 profile image34
    fishskinfreak2008posted 7 years ago

Talk about a heat wave and strange housing. Houses in Texas have no basement which is bad enough in the summertime. California houses are even more ridiculous in the negative sense. Not only do they have no basement, they also have NO AIRCONS.

1. Aqua profile image79
      Aquaposted 7 years ago in reply to this

um, what?  I'm in Cali and I definitely have AC. There's no way we could survive without it - it's too hot here!

2. Lisa HW profile image83
    Lisa HWposted 7 years ago

Here in the Northeast we need basements for collecting a foot or water in during Spring-time thawing of snow.   lol  That eliminates the need for us to put sump pumps in our kitchens and living rooms.

3. 0
    Leta Sposted 7 years ago

Hey, fish-

It isn't THAT ridiculous.  We have no basement here in our house in AZ.  Reason for that in general is that everything is built on pretty solid rock, wink.  It would cost too much to dig a basement, and also, they are fairly useless here--i.e, no tornadoes..no need to have a cellar.

Northern CA has a different kind of climate--very much doubt they need air conditioning.  But you are right...a few of the hotels I stayed at in San Fran did not have air conditioners at all.  Just heaters.

4. Aqua profile image79
    Aquaposted 7 years ago

Actually, I'm in Northern California and it is forecasted to be 101 degrees tomorrow!

5. Lisa HW profile image83
    Lisa HWposted 7 years ago

In the Northeast we need everything - heat, insulation, air conditioning, swimming pools, basements, garages, whatever else offers some kind of relief/protection from the weather.  The good thing, I guess, is that we're often spared a lot of the worst weather (although some of it feels pretty much like "worst" to me).  hmm  Early Spring may "win the prize", when we can get ice storms one week and have major flooding and melting the next.  (Forget I said that.  Winter "wins the prize".  hmm)