jump to last post 1-14 of 14 discussions (17 posts)

Writing 101 - Your favorite tips

1. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 7 years ago

Do you have a favorite tip that you'd like to share, or maybe something that has always stood out for you from journalism or writing classes?

After 25 years, I still remember my journalism professor telling us to write to the 8th grade level.  I don't think that applies any longer, with students staying in HS longer and more and more people getting higher education and technical degrees.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 7 years ago

I definitely think it's still a good idea to write at a 7th or 8th grade level smile Plain language is much more appealing that using big words for effect. I remember reading a novel by William F. Buckley Jr. once and I needed to have a dictionary beside me to translate it smile

3. goodfriendiam profile image61
    goodfriendiamposted 7 years ago

just write, write, and write some more....lol. forget the technical aspects, and write from your heart. smile

1. Jane@CM profile image61
      Jane@CMposted 7 years ago in reply to this

True, I try to that as best I can!

1. goodfriendiam profile image61
        goodfriendiamposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I hope you know that I was just kidding with ya. I don't have any real tips. I just write what ever strikes me. But I am going to keep my eye on this thread it might give me some good tips too. So thanks for posting it. smile

4. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 7 years ago

I've read a few books like that!

I also see the words my son has to find definitions for in his Language Arts class, they are definitely teaching him to expand his knowledge base.  With some of the books they read, in 8th grade, they need to know more words that I ever did at that age.

5. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 7 years ago

Of course, I always remember the 5 w's: who, what, when, why, where...

1. smokenchic profile image59
      smokenchicposted 7 years ago in reply to this

And don't forget how?...lol smile  oops! that ain't no w....lol oh well  I guess ya still need it or not big_smile

6. ThePartyAnimal profile image82
    ThePartyAnimalposted 7 years ago

I like when humor is involved and a fun laid back style - I always stay on a page when it is fun to read and not too stuffy.

7. LRobbins profile image78
    LRobbinsposted 7 years ago

In a writing class I took, they said simply write often.  If you only write when you feel like it, you probably won't get anywhere.  Simple, but tougher than it sounds.

8. svencill profile image61
    svencillposted 7 years ago

I think the best tips are the simplest one's.

Write TO your readers, Keep it simple, Do your research, and write so that anyone could read it and understand.

9. E. A. Wright profile image88
    E. A. Wrightposted 7 years ago

Give what you write time to sit. Give your mind a break. Then go back and edit/publish.

Creation and criticism seem to tax different parts of the mind. Making time for both is a luxury you can take advantage of when writing (as opposed to when keeping up with the quicker pace of a conversation).

This doesn't always save me from silly errors or imperfect prose, but it never hurts...

10. yoshi97 profile image89
    yoshi97posted 7 years ago

Keep it light ... keep it entertaining ... always give the reader more than just another information piece.

11. dohn121 profile image88
    dohn121posted 7 years ago

Read your work out loud and proud!  Make sure your work is coherent.  I see a lot of work that is far-reaching in its language.  Many times, people use words in the wrong context, mainly because the writer just "feels right" about their word choice.  I find that if I'm not completely sure of the word I'm using, it's usually because it's the wrong word for me to use and so ditch it.  And If I still feel compelled to use it, I look it up in the dictionary and learn the word as well as I can and then write it down.  I find that simple coherent words work best. 

One of my favorite authors (who is sadly now deceased) was Michael Crichton who had a medical degree from Harvard, yet simplified his language into layman's terms so all could understand him.  He was also amazing at explaining complex theories.

12. Dale Mazurek profile image58
    Dale Mazurekposted 7 years ago

If you plan to earn money from your writing you will find times you need to force yourself to write.  Write lots and lots and lots.  Never give up

13. dave272727 profile image61
    dave272727posted 7 years ago

I just sit and write whatever comes to mind, no matter if it makes sense or not.  Then after I read it over and take all the different ideas and make new stories or essays out of them.

14. 0
    Crazdwriterposted 7 years ago

One of my favorite teachers was in my writing class and he made us do something fun. He made us keep a journal of our dreams, what time and how long we slept and as much detail from your dream as you can remember. Great excercise because then you had plenty of ideas to write on. I still do it and have started stories based off of my dreams too. smile