Sunday dinner!!!

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (61 posts)
  1. smokenchic profile image59
    smokenchicposted 14 years ago

Is it just my family, that cooks a big meal (always with mash potatoes and gravy every Sunday) on Sundays and eats at noon time. Does anyone else have or cook a huge meal on Sundays? I wonder why. My mom says it just the way it has always been. On Saturdays we just grab a sandwich, and maybe some soup....lol during the week we just have regular meals, like vegetable, meat and bread.

1. profile image0
      mtsi1098posted 14 years agoin reply to this

we do not always have big family Sunday dinners but we do have a rule that the family eats together on Sundays...

smokenchicposted 14 years agoin reply to this

that's a nice rule. I think it is good to sit with your kids, at dinner time and just have free talk, and laughter. Although it ain't to fun when u take a bite on mashed potatoes and one of the kids say one of their darn est kid jokes and u breath potatoes up your nose and out from laughing so hard...lol big_smile

1. profile image0

that's is where the sharing comes in an you put potatoes on the kids nose smile

2. frogdropping profile image78
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

I'm starving. I wasn't. But I am now. I love a Sunday roast and haven't had one since forever sad

I'm sorry frog "frowning"

3. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

I agree Sunday is a special meal something that Leo and I love. Usually we eat in front of the television watching 60 minutes.

Saturday night is for trying new recipes.

I usually eat right here in front of the puter screen...lol or tv. When I cook, everyone laughs because my recipes never come out tasting quite the same as the first time I created it. My moms meatloaf tastes the same every time, my meatloaf well lets just say, it isn't normal. I think I grew up with to much of what I would consider to normal...lol. So my cooking pays for my rebellious ways...lol

2. Pearldiver profile image67
      Pearldiverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"Saturday night is for trying new recipes." - ahem! Do you mean you spice up your saturdays or just your meals? yikes

maybe both big_smile

4. frogdropping profile image78

lol Don't be sorry. You didn't put my ass on a plane to Lisbon. I blame my husband. You should too smile

I love a good dinner, always have. Big veggie fan for one and I make fantastic yorkshire puddings - if I have a great oven. Something else we can blame my husband for. He's got mine big_smile

1. profile image0
      Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Don't mean to sound stupid, but what is Yorkshire pudding? I just realize I have no idea even though I've always heard of it.

I think it is a bread type pudding that u bake it a custard type dish and it puffs up when baked and it is made with beef broth I think. But I could be wrong...lol. I usually am...lol

2. frogdropping profile image78
        frogdroppingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You haven't lived girls!

Nelle - you know batter, for pancakes? The milk/eggs/plain flour and salt version? It's that - but done in an oven rather than a skillet. And bloody delicious with roast beek, chicken, lamb, pork etc.

I'll go grab a recipe and method ... there is a bit of a knack to them big_smile

3. lrohner profile image69
        lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The closest thing I can think of to a Yorkshire pudding that we would know is a popover. Matter of fact, I don't think there's much diff at all.

5. smokenchic profile image59

What do ya do in Lisbon? Where is it?

6. frogdropping profile image78

I live and work here. And it's in Portugal. West coast. Nice place. Full of portuguese folks - and not a sunday roast or bacon butty as far as the eye can see (from a plane).

http://z.hubpages.com/u/1322876_f260.jpg
    My son, overlooking downtown Lisbon in July smile

Looks beautiful. I love seeing other places, and meeting new faces.

7. frogdropping profile image78

Ingredients:

290 ml milk (give or take)
    115 g all-purpose flour
    1 pinch salt
    3 eggs (I like to add an extra one)
    1 tablespoon olive oil

Directions

1 Mix all the ingredients, except the oil, to make a batter using an electric mixer.

2 Let it rest for 15 - 20 minutes - in the fridge to cool it.

3 Preheat oven at 450°F.

4 Preheat a muffin tray and pour in a teaspoon of oil. Wait until the oil is almost on fire ... honest, it's got to be smoking!

5 Divide the batter into the tray - only fill each muffin hole half-way. If you've batter left over, it doesn't matter.

6 Cook for up to 20 minutes at 450°F - keep an eye on them, turning once only if need be. They need to climb from the pan and be browned and crispy.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_1buMmkYUM4Q/SZl2ZWNUg_I/AAAAAAAAAOI/eEkHy8i4NZU/s400/IMG_3276
    You are aiming for the above.

Eat! big_smile

And who is the one complaining that they are hungry...lol. That looks delicious. I have always wanted to try make these, but am to afraid they will flop...lol.

2. Beth100 profile image70
      Beth100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yummy!  I haven't made these in a life time (or two!).  Looks like dinner tonight is going to be scrumptous: 

1.  Oven roasted prime rib
      2.  Baked tomatoes with parmesan and bread crumb
      3.  Pan gravy
      4.  Roasted sweet potatos, white potates, carrots
      5.  Steamed broccoli
      6.  Froggy's Yorkshire pudding
      7.  Fruit smoothies
      8.  Freshly baked apple pie
      9.  a la mode (vanilla, of course)
      10. Ice cold water

Sunday dinner is always served at 14:30 with a follow up snack at 19:30.  Feast away everyone!  smile

darn!! I want to be where your at, I am throwing a tantrum as I type this...lol.  That is a huge Sunday dinner.

1. Beth100 profile image70

Come on by Smokenchic!  There's plenty for all.... if you're in the States, just head up north past the 49th parallel!  smile

8. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

Will have to definitely give those a try. I think the next time a make a pot roast. Thank you for recipe.

And the pictures of Portugal look so wonderful....somehow I expected your son... to be greener.

1. frogdropping profile image78

lol He considers me part mom, part friend, part affliction. He's adored half to death and I drive him nuts. I have a couple more where he came from. I stocked up on mini-me's big_smile

And they're easy to make, the yorkshires. It's just a knack. The batter is better off being quite thin. If it's too thick, add a little cold water right before you use the batter. It is sits too thick in the bottom of the pan, they end up doughy and don't rise properly.

frog when u began the next paragraph, and said they where easy to make, I thought u were still talking about your children...lol

1. frogdropping profile image78

They were easy to make. My kids that is wink

9. torimari profile image68
    torimariposted 14 years ago

No, but it would be nice.

I'm a vegetarian, therefore cook a lot. Everyone is scared to take a bite of something thinking I have all this weird, health food when it is purely vegetables. Hehe.

I even offer to make them a decent chicken meal, but alas, my family usually ends at fast food places on Sundays without me. I guess they are scared that I magically found the way to make icky tofu LOOK like chicken and its a trick.

That pudding looks delicious btw.

Thats funny, I use to eat vegetarian meals, tofu and all. But I did not like the tofu. I don't care how u slice it or dice it, no one is going to convince me it can tatse like steak..lol. no offense intended. I had a friend tell me u got to try these tofu scrambled eggs, they really taste like the real thing, right. Not, I felt like I was eating, those peanuts ya get in your packages from amazon. But all the rest of the vegetarian cooking I enjoyed. As for family being afraid to eat my vegetarian meals, hell their afraid to eat my normal meals...lol

1. torimari profile image68
        torimariposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Haha, don't worry, though I eat an occasional Boca burger, I am not a fan of tofu or soy products either.

Ewww.

10. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I grew up with Sunday dinners, and as a kid I wasn't thrilled with them, because I didn't care about food and didn't like eating with my "Sunday dress" on (those nylons, stick-out, numbers you see in pictures from the 60's).  Looking back, it was really, really, nice that we had those dinners each Sunday.  Sunday dinners were in the dining room.  Other nights dinner was at the kitchen table.  What I remember most of those dinners was my father eating in a suit (unlike the rest of the week).

When my own kids were little our "thing" was to go out to eat (somewhere nice-ish) on Sunday.  None of us are "big on meat", so there was none of that cooking big hunks of meat in a pressure cooker (etc).  Our Sundays were "for family together" - minus the big meat meal.  smile  I feel kind of bad my kids didn't get the "Mom-cooked Sunday dinner", but we had our own version of making Sunday different from the rest of the week.  So, if your family still does the Sunday-dinner thing, if you're not the last you're probably still relatively rare.   smile

Lisa I think it is cool to make your own thing on any day with your children. They will come to truly remember your uniqueness, and different ways. Breaking out of the mold per say. Don't feel bad. When I was with my husband, we did our own thing too. And I was the same way when it came to food when I was young. Just throw me a bowl of mac and cheese or a salad and I was set to go...lol. I hated meat when I was younger!

1. Lisa HW profile image62
        Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My sister and I laugh about how much we hated having to sit down at Sunday dinner and having to leave on those nylon dresses - because today we're grown up to know how nice a thing it was.   smile  When the subject comes up we feel like a couple of horrible "ingrates".  lol

11. waynet profile image70
    waynetposted 14 years ago

You can't beat a good sunday roast, with all the trimmings and the gravy has to be just right, no lumps, not too watery...just right.

I prefer a roast chicken, but then a good chunk of roast beef or pork sounds quite nice too.

"I just want to eat" as Van Damme said in Universal Soldier!

I love roasted chicken. my favorite. And I like Van Damme movies

12. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

It's been such a long time since I had a Sunday roast beef. My mother used to make wonderful Sunday dinners with roast, gravy, sometimes with Yorkshire pudding, etc.

I've made it once myself when I had friends over for dinner. I can't seem to make a decent gravy no matter how many recipes I follow.

UW do u use flour or cornstarch to make your gravy?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
        Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've tried both smile

1. profile image0
          EmpressFelicityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you haven't already tried it, this might help: mix the cornstarch with enough cold water to make a paste, then take the meat juice off the heat and add the cornstarch paste.  Stir really well before you put the pan back on the heat and keep stirring until the mixture thickens.  Add salt, soy sauce and/or Marmite to taste.

13. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I haven't eaten breakfast yet shhhhhhh! no food talk! lmao

1. profile image0

Haven't you had enough seafood?

1. profile image0
        Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol NO! because I can't imagine that well where i can pretend to eat and get full. sadly I have not conquered that one

14. Beth100 profile image70
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

Two separate threads of feasting and your still hungry????  lmfo

15. profile image0
    mtsi1098posted 14 years ago

what is for desert?

for the prime rib, it's freshly baked apple pie a la mode

for the seafood....maybe a lime/lemon sorbet followed by lemon merangue pie.  smile

1. profile image0

now we are talking...add key lime pie and peanut butter pie and I am in the car on the way smile

Oh, so close.  I almost chose keylime over lemon merangue.  Hey, why don't you bring those...  mmmmm  smile

1. Lisa HW profile image62
            Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A confession:  I've never had key lime pie, lemon meringue pie, or peanut butter pie.   hmm  I've never heard of peanut butter pie; and when it comes to the others I have a "six-year-old's food mentality" - I won't try key lime pie because of the color, and I've never tried lemon meringue because meringue kind of looks like toasted whipped cream, but I know it wouldn't taste like it.   lol

16. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

We do the Sunday dinners, but generally not in the summer time.  I've never been able to cook a roast like my mom did, they were always so tender & had wonderful flavor.  Her gravy was amazing too. 

Wednesday, I'm making a two homemade chicken pot pies. My daughter is gracing us with her presence smile smile big_smile big_smile  She wants me to make an extra one to share at the dorm.

The Yorkshire pudding looks a lot like my pop-overs.

17. Beth100 profile image70

There is a difference between popovers and Yorkshire pudding.  Technically, Yorkshire pudding uses the pan drippings from a roast instead of oil or butter.  The popover uses butter or oil instead of the pan drippings.  Also, Yorkshire pudding is not normally baked in a muffin tin.  Oh, one more thing -- Yorkshire pudding is British, popovers are American.

18. maven101 profile image71
    maven101posted 14 years ago

We take turns sharing Sunday dinners with our three wonderful neighbors, usually about 20 people including kids...What makes it really fun and interesting is that one of our neighbors is from Korea, and another is from Mexico...We always try to surprise each other with something indigenous to our heritage...Mine is Irish and Portuguese, and another neighbor is Eastern European...

Isn't Kaloske (i don't think I spelled it right) cabbage and noodles Irish? I can't remember but I know it is good. That sounds nice Larry, getting together with all them people.

1. maven101 profile image71
        maven101posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Actually, its Polish, known as Kaluski...my East European neighbor has made this delicious meal for us...The Irish do have a version of the cabbage and noodles recipe...This is from my Grandmother's little black recipe book, enjoy:

Ingredients

* 4 ounces egg noodles
            * 1/2 pound bacon, chopped
            * 1 medium onion, chopped
            * 10 cups cabbage, shredded
            * Salt
            * Black pepper, coarse ground

Preparation

Cook egg noodles in salted boiling water until al dente. Drain, set aside.
        Sauté bacon in a skillet and set aside.   
        In the same skillet with the bacon drippings, add the onion and sauté until tender. Add cabbage and sauté until warmed through.
        Now add the bacon and noodles, tossing to heat through. Season with salt and pepper.

Easy to make...takes about 25 minutes...tastes incredible !!!

Deff going to make it thanks Larry!!

19. Simply Redd profile image74
    Simply Reddposted 14 years ago

For me and my hubby it's usually a big Sunday breakfast. Hash browns, pancakes or toast, bacon, eggs and lots of coffee. Yum!

I love a big breakfast!!! my stomach is growling, and I just ate a big meal at noon...lol

20. smokenchic profile image59

I just had a slice of apple cake. moist and scrumptious. I love fall, I do believe it is my favorite season. Though again when winter is at its coldest, then spring comes to mind...lol

21. profile image0
    Aquaposted 14 years ago

Dang - you guys are making me hungry. Good thing hubby's in the kitchen making us a late brunch smile

22. Beth100 profile image70

That makes two of us!!! 

I'm off to make some skillet buttered shrimp and noodles...  smile

23. flread45 profile image58
    flread45posted 14 years ago

Do you realize,that recipe goes with barbequed pork spare ribs!!!smile

Hey, flread, spare ribs smothered in bbq sauce sounds mighty tasty right now and it is only 746 am....lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)