jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (10 posts)

Sororities/Fraternites - anyone have experience?

1. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 7 years ago

My daughter is HELL bent on joining a sorority. 

Anyone have any experience you'd like to share in support of joining one?

How about NOT in support of joining one?

1. lrohner profile image84
      lrohnerposted 7 years ago in reply to this

My oldest joined a sorority at University of Florida (#1 party school in the country usually). NOT a good idea.

My younger daughter joined a sorority at Coastal Carolina University in South Carolina. GREAT, GREAT, GREAT!!! They did not have a physical sorority house, however, and the dues and fees were expensive, but it was well worth it for her.

2. 0
      sandra rinckposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I don't now much about joining one but I know a bit about parting with um. big_smile

2. 0
    mtsi1098posted 7 years ago

I joined a fraternity in college and it was a good experience.  Pledging was tough as it went several weeks but it was good for many reasons:

There is always someone to talk you and study with and party with but more importantly to help you when you need it...Good luck

3. 0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 7 years ago

I think it depends on the sorority. I didn't belong to one, but was always a little jealous of those who did.

My neice went to Bryn Mawyr and the whole college felt like a giant womens sorority. She loved it.

4. Rochelle Frank profile image89
    Rochelle Frankposted 7 years ago

I thought it would take too much time away from studies.  They probably wouldn't have wanted me anyway.

However, I found the group experience of being part of the newspaper staff to be very much like being a member of a club-- those people became my best friends, and you could always go into the workroom of the newspaper office to study, chat or hang out.

5. girly_girl09 profile image79
    girly_girl09posted 7 years ago

I think it ALLLLLL depends on the sorority. Hopefully she is looking at an academic one?

Not trying to scare you, but I've been to some absolutely insane parties on various campuses, including ivy league and state. They've been hosted by fraternities and sororities, some of them co-sponsored. I'm not really sure exactly what the names of the frats/sororities that hosted the parties I've been to, I basically got dragged along by friends. Holy crap!!!! I wouldn't want my (hypothetical) kids to join one. I am a prude by absolutely no means. Some of these events were wayyy too much for even me. Also, I find frat parties to be a lot more extreme...the thing is, a lot of sororities usually attend them.

BUT - I think if she goes for the more academic type sororities, then she will be all set. (I think) Other than that, I'm not so sure...

Also, if she is on a private uni campus and her sorority gets into any trouble (an underage drinking party, etc.), there is a lot less likely chance of legal action by police, whereas public unis have stricter rules about reporting incidents. Private universities tend to have security that simply ignores underage drinking. It's so rampant, it's very hard to keep up with, I guess.

It is also important for parents to remind their kids to keep in mind that they can get into trouble on campus, just by association (simply being in the wrong place at the wrong time).

Anyways, it probably depends on the sorority, but based upon what I've seen, I don't think I could encourage my (hypothetical) kids to join a non-academic oriented fraternal organization.

6. SweetiePie profile image83
    SweetiePieposted 7 years ago

When I went to freshmen orientation several groups on campus set up booths to tell us more about their clubs.  One sorority seemed all nice by giving out water bottles, and I definitely was not interested in joining, but they completely ignored me and only talked to several other girls in our group.  Later there was a more academic sorority that asked me to join, but I was not interested. 

I am not a social butterfly, and to be honest I felt like that was all the sororities really were for.  Later I ended up joining a couple of academic honor societies, but these were more about just socializing too.  Some of us suggested doing some real community service projects, but their idea was just to have us go to a tv taping and call it community service.  Looking back I really do not see the point of joining any group on campus unless socializing is your thing.  Of course I enjoy having a small group of friends and just getting together after class to have coffee. 

I also volunteered as a conversation partner at our campus extension center, so the types of socializing I engaged in were more on the calm side.  I definitely never had the wild college experience because I preferred to spend the time working at the library to make extra money for my education.

7. bgpappa profile image84
    bgpappaposted 7 years ago

I joined one at UCSB.  Great experience.  Partying will be a part of most colleges, but the fraternity was a separate outlet and provided great memories and good friends.

But in the end, it depends on the person.  Some people join and hate them and others don't join and have great college experiences.

8. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 7 years ago

During Welcome week she visited each sorority and had to rate it.  The she went back to her top six today and rated them again and the sorority rates the girls too, then a computer selects the top three matches & she goes to visit those tomorrow night.  She really liked the girls at her top choice sorority & she knows a girl from HS who is at one of the houses.

I looked at the three she would like to join, lots of community service and all stress this "philanthropic activities, leadership opportunities, and scholastic excellence".  They each have at least two local based charities.

Her school and our state prohibit hazing.

The cost is "cough, cough".  She won't move there this year, because she LOVES her dorm.  But she wants the sorority's home cooked meals smile

I guess we'll know more after she finds out which one she has been "selected" to.