How does income grow at HP?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Sophia Heresford profile image69
    Sophia Heresfordposted 14 years ago

I am more familiar with eHow which, so long as your SEO is decent, you'll see money trickling in from day one.

HP seems to be slower than that and I'd like to better understand how income grows with HP. I've read several blogs/comments/remarks that the earning potential is not so great at HP, that 'they' use it for back links to other, earning sites.

So what has your experience been? Please tell the clueless newbie and help me get oriented to the HP passive revenue model.

Thanks!

Sophia

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Welcome, Sophia. I can't compare HubPages with other sites because I haven't tried them - eHow is only open to US residents.  You're quite right that earnings from HP are slow to begin with - I think a lot of people don't realise that and give up before they give it a chance. 

Most people seem to earn little or nothing in the first two or three months.  Nine or ten months to make first Adsense payout isn't unusual. After that it snowballs - the next payout happens in three or four months, the next in two, and so on. 

That was certainly my experience.  Bear in mind, though, that I've only written 80-odd Hubs in two years, and I don't do much promotion.  There are many more productive people doing far better than me.

I do also use HP for backlinks to my other sites, and it's great for that too.

2. Dale Mazurek profile image62
    Dale Mazurekposted 14 years ago

Hi there Sophia

First off you need to know you do not nake any money from HubPages.  What this means is you will never see any pay from HubPages.

How you do make money is from a direct result as to how you use this site. 

You make money from adsense, Amazon, EBay and from many other affiliate resources if done correctly.

As a result of HubPages many people make a few hundred a month and even many make in the thousands.

You need to think of Hubpages as a tool for your internet earnings.

In all honesty in many ways HubPages has become my number one tool that I use and I see a lot of indirect results because of it.

I hope this helps

Cheers

3. Sophia Heresford profile image69
    Sophia Heresfordposted 14 years ago

Thank you Dale and Marisa.

I have a bit of cognitive dissonance going on because I am used to the ehow format/guidelines.

The basic 'recipe' is the same but ehow has the cinnamon that makes it a snickerdoodle whereas HubPages requires chocolate chips for a Nestle Tollhouse cookie.

If that makes any sense, which it may not.

What I've noticed so far:

Hubpages has much more elegant technology and page design. Also, much tighter quality control.

eHow has somewhat erratic management, very glitchy technology, but earnings are pretty fast with good SEO.

Sophia

4. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

I come from an affiliate marketing background and I've made google adsense payout since my second month and made more than that from Amazon. I've made 200 Amazon hubs in my first six months and will probably turn my attention to 200 Ebay hubs next. (With some experience and travel hubs thrown in for fun)

There is money to be made here but you have to plan to make your money here at hubpages. This isn't a place to come to shore up other sites. And create links to other sites.

It's a place to learn how to write and market using Ebay, Adsense, Amazon, and for some brillian souls Kontera.

You'll be rewarded with great traffic, it's up to you to learn to monetize it.

Welcome and good luck.

1. lrohner profile image68
      lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nelle, still haven't been accepted by eBay and can't figure out why. Can you help? I sort of gave up trying after I read Mark's and others' posts about how bad the earnings were. But if you're going for it, I'm in! (If I can get accepted...)

5. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

lrohner, I don't know why you wouldn't be accepted. Your blogs and hubs are great. Maybe if you put some stuff on the blogs. Then Ebay could see that you have a sales model.

Isn't there a way now to apply to Ebay using your hubs? If so use your stuff hubs. I don't pay much attention to those topics because I don't need to.

I've been an Ebay affiliate for a while, so I don't know what they're looking for. But everything I have on the web sells stuff, so I can only assume that's what they're looking for.

I hope you get accepted fast, so we can figure all this out together.

1. lrohner profile image68
      lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't know what to say... I tried with both my hubs and my blogs. My blogs have been up and running for 2+ years. Each one of them gets 10k+ visitors per month. And my hubs are doing fine, despite them being new. So I am like the Valley girls -- totally clueless!!!

1. profile image0
        Aquaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wow! If they won't accept you than there's not much hope for the newbies. sad I would think 10K+ a month in traffic and your length of time would get you in easily. I was accepted a couple of years ago thankfully. I think it was easier then.

6. profile image0
    Aquaposted 14 years ago

btw: Welcome to HubPages Sophia smile!!!

7. yoshi97 profile image56
    yoshi97posted 14 years ago

As said by others, Hubpages is a different beast altogether. The secret to making Hubpages work for you is understanding it's a virtual net in and of itself, and that net takes time to build. Each page automatically develops links to others pages, which builds up each page in the Google directory. This is why it takes a while for Hubs to gather strength.

However, once they bubble up, the strength of those links keeps your pages up high on the ladder and these pages will help future pages you create.

You can think of it as a volcano that boils and simmers until the lava finally breaks out of the mountain ... but in this case, once the lava stats flowing it never seems to stop.

Just now, I am starting to see daily payouts, with some of them being quite handsome. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)