jump to last post 1-14 of 14 discussions (14 posts)

Do you collect and if so what and why?

1. Catherine Stone profile image60
    Catherine Stoneposted 7 years ago

Mine is philately,(collecting stamps.)

Though I prefer to be known as a postal historian. Simply put it means I collect postal history, which is simply the actual covers with stamps still attached.

My speciality is the hyper-inflation postal period from Germany which was in effect from August - December 1923. I collect as a way to relax and also learn a great deal along the way. I love to research items found and get a great buzz from discovering something new or scarce.

Happy to try and answer any questions on stamps or postal history in general if anyone has any.

2. 0
    cosetteposted 7 years ago

collections are nice, especially because they are litrtle pieces of history.

i have a couple, but mostly i collect dolls. in fact i just culled quite a few from my closet this weekend and am opening up an ebay store to get rid of them. normally i would have a garage sale but i thought no these are too nice to give away for a buck or two...

3. Gemsong profile image84
    Gemsongposted 7 years ago

We collect dragons. Assorted sizes and styles. If it's a dragon I swear we own it. If it has a dragon on it, spouse wants it. The cooler the dragon the happier he is.

4. pageantgirl31413 profile image88
    pageantgirl31413posted 7 years ago

I collect state spoons. I don't know if you have ever seen them. You can normally get them at gas stations sometimes. My mom got them for me when I was younger when she had to go TDY (temporary duty) for the Air Force. I just keep it up now. Whenever I go to a new state, I pick one up.

5. Pearldiver profile image87
    Pearldiverposted 7 years ago

I collect Pearls.
    The wiser, the better.
    But I must say that I do not buy them... just trade. smile

6. jestone profile image83
    jestoneposted 7 years ago

I used to collect comics. Marvel mostly, like Spider-man and X-men. I still have around 1500 of them.
    I don't do that much now but I turned it into a fascination with Investing in Stocks and Trading. My first stock was Marvel when they came out of bankruptcy for the second time.
    I like to learn about companies and then make money "collecting" the best ones.
    BTW, Marvel did great for me I went to every one of their film openings, even the crummy ones.

7. livewithrichard profile image86
    livewithrichardposted 7 years ago

I collect Indian Head cents.  My set is almost complete.  Just missing 7 key dates.  This is my third time trying to collect a full set.  The first one, I didn't care about the quality of the coin and didn't really know much about coin grading or quality until I sold it 6 years ago.  Most were crappy coins and it was missing the 3 most important key dates but it sold for over $1500 on Ebay.  The next set, I was more keen to quality and were all XF(extra fine). This set was missing the same 3 key dates and sold to a collector for over $4000. The collection I'm working on now are all Certified Mint State coins that graded and sealed by a professional numismatic service PCGS.

8. Lisa HW profile image84
    Lisa HWposted 7 years ago

lol  I thought the thread was whether or not people collect unemployment compensation (often referred to as "collecting").  lol   I guess I've been hanging around too many laid off people recently.  (I don't happen to collect stuff OR unemployment.  smile  )

9. Rebecca E. profile image89
    Rebecca E.posted 7 years ago

proceline dragons, they are really cool, but they need to be white and not easily found.

10. emievil profile image83
    emievilposted 7 years ago

Stamps, coins (from various countries), money bills (is this the right term?) from various countries also smile.

11. 0
    Crazdwriterposted 7 years ago

okay here we go...crystals, polished stones, books on huanted history of states, fairy figurines, dargon figurines, mermaid figurines, magician figurines. And I collect them because I love too smile

12. girly_girl09 profile image80
    girly_girl09posted 7 years ago

I collect political memorabilia. big_smile My favorite piece has to be a Reagan/Bush campaign placard (now known as rally signs) with the American flag on one side. (I don't know if it is '80 or '84...wish I knew. I found it in my state party's basement in mint condition) I have lots of buttons, photos, etc. from all sorts of political campaigns. I have made an effort to keep items from every campaign I've worked on, but to me, I appreciate the vintage campaign gear from campaigns that occurred before I was born (or involved), no matter the political party. It's fun to look at.

It's not a collectible, but I absolutely have fallen in love with a big coffee mug I bought at the Nat'l Archives gift shop. It has a collage of tons of different campaign slogans.I ordered 5 more so if I break one, I'll never be without. I really, really love it. big_smile

I also collect vintage perfume bottles (and labels) and vintage hat boxes.

I guess you could also say that I collect an immense amount of shoes and handbags....hahahaha.

13. Rochelle Frank profile image89
    Rochelle Frankposted 7 years ago

I have a bunch of little pitchers that have belonged to different members of my family. Yes I have a pitcher hub.

14. Tadeusz598 profile image61
    Tadeusz598posted 7 years ago

I collect certain books, matchbox labels, shells and coins. If I had more space an money I'd collect porcellain, art, and sports cars, probably antiques and cufflinks too.

Collecting has several psychological functions for me (not in order):

1. Appreciation of the aesthetic qualities of things.
    2. Enjoyment of completion- completing sets of things.
    3. Showing off to my friends.
    4. As a basis of study- using coins as a basis to understand history, for instance.
    5. As an excuse to meet others through joining clubs etc.
    6. As a way of passing the time.
    7. Enjoying searching for and finding items for the collection.
    8. The pleasure of order: arranging and maintaining a collection in  a sensible sequence and in good condition.
    9. Escapism. The collection is a perfect world, an attempt to realise an ideal- we can attain a perfection in our colections which is absent in our lives, perhaps.

My collections do not really matter, they are ultimately trivial, but they are a valuable diversion. When I hear about people who devote themseves excessively to collections, paying millions of pounds for rare postage stamps, say, I tend to think they have lost their sense of what really matters in life.

An excellent novel about a collector is Chatwin's "Utz".