jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (13 posts)

Is 'Blogger' any good?

1. 0
    ryankettposted 7 years ago

I would quite like to start building up a blog alongside my hubbing activity, is blogger a suitable platform for doing so? When purchasing a domain?

What Im trying to say is that although I know that you get what you pay for, and blogger is free, but is it possible to build a fairly profitable blog on blogger?

I am attracted to its easy interface.....

1. blue dog profile image80
      blue dogposted 7 years ago in reply to this

just started with it myself, ryan.  very small amount of cash so far, but it's easy to use.
      am pleasantly surprised with the traffic thus far.

2. emievil profile image86
      emievilposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Hope you get some answers here Ryan. I have an account there but it's in inactive status right now. I'll be really interested in the replies from hubbers.

What I usually see is that the blogger is the platform for writing and editing blogs but the actual blog is in another domain (a purchased one).

You might want to try asking Sufidreamer. He has a blogspot called dropout nation. It's in a blogger account (not a separate domain). Some hubbers also contribute to that blog.

2. 0

Cool cheers Blue Dog. I havent really decided on a niche yet, I am going to do something in my own name.... build a name for myself in something.

3. Marisa Wright profile image93
    Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago

I know lrohner does very well on blogger, so I think it's the old golden rule - if you've got good content, it doesn't matter where you blog!

My own advice would be bite the bullet, and get your own self-hosted blog using Wordpress software.  I know lots of people say Google hearts blogger, but I don't agree. 

I had two blogs on blogger and nobody came, in spite of my attempts at promotion.  Whereas all the blogs/websites I've created with a "proper" domain name have got some traffic without really trying.

When I say "some traffic" I only mean a couple of hundred visitors.  But that's a darn site more than the trickle I got at blogger.  For instance, I started a blog using my own name a few months ago - not to make money, but just as a place to copy my Helium articles to, in case the site folds.  So it's all duplicate content. The only backlinks to it are from the occasional blog comment.  I've had 150 visitors so far, 95% of them from search engines.

I suspect that Google "hearts" .com websites much more than blogger, which it knows is full of amateurs blogging about cr@p.  They assume that if someone has gone to the trouble of buying a .com, they have to be slightly more serious about things, so it's worthy of more respect.

1. lrohner profile image86
      lrohnerposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Marisa -- You're mostly right. I have a few blogger blogs that have retained the #1 spot for their keywords for several years (even up until now), even though I haven't posted on any of them for a long, long time. Traffic to each one is phenomenal for dormant blogs. That said, they all are highly targeted for their niche and the content is quality. So I do agree. Just do it right and who cares about the platform!

2. 0
      ryankettposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Hi Marissa, thanks for your advice. And very good idea about copying your helium stuff (because they are shit payers anyway lol)

But with blogger, it is actually possible to purchase your own .com domain? So would this not solve the problem of google hearts .com?

1. lrohner profile image86
        lrohnerposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Yes, Helium sucks. And yes, you can use your own domain with blogger.

1. 0
          ryankettposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I have just registered my own name, which is fantastic. Has been on my to do list for a while now....

I know that I would be better off with a keyword domain, but there are lots of people with my name on facebook who look about 15, so I wanted to snap it up wink

I absolutely delighted with that, Im not sure what I will blog about yet, but I guess that I will try and make a name for myself on a specific subject or by writing in a consistant fashion.

Wayhay!! blogs away.....

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
            Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Congrats on grabbing your name!  I had no problems grabbing mine - try Googling it and you'll see there are hardly any other Marisa Wrights out there, which is odd as the two names individually are so common.  I wanted to get it, because one day (!) I may actually get around to finishing my novel, and when I do, I'll want to promote myself as an author.

4. waynet profile image48
    waynetposted 7 years ago

Blogger is good and when you have your own domain name, it's still easier with blogger, many prefer wordpress, but I think blogger is catching up to wordpress with many new features being created to better blogging with blogger.

And you can build up a very profitable blog if you stick with it, I'm earning a small income over there with my many blogs, if I focused on them more I reckon I'd be able to call it a proper part time income.

5. 0

Cheers for your advice guys lol

6. Cls1321 profile image60
    Cls1321posted 7 years ago

Just to add on to the initial question asked on this thread. I personally use my own domains with wordpress, however, if you type in "How to make money online" on Google which is obviously a very tough keyword phrase to rank in, two of the first 5 results are blogger blogs. So I suppose if used to its full potential blogger can be profitable and rank just as well as any other site.

Good luck with your new domain and future blog.