jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (8 posts)

Child's Rights

1. queenbe profile image61
    queenbeposted 7 years ago

Would you approve of your 16yr. child's legal right in choosing to live somewhere else besides at home? In this home there is no abuse, drugs, alcohol, yelling or screaming. There is only love, peace and harmony.

If you do not approve would you go through the courts and battle for your right to parent your own child?

When would you stop your court battle?

I appreciate your input.

queenbeposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I just checked to see what reply's I had received and this seems to be a subject people are afraid of. IT IS a REAL possibility in today's world and you cannot count on Family Court to settle this matter. I have been there for over a yr. and a half already.

2. jiberish profile image79
      jiberishposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Yes, I think at 16 the courts will allow them to choose.

Thank you yes the court allows this at age 12 in MY and many other states.

3. profile image0
      cosetteposted 7 years ago in reply to this

yes i would go to court, and i wouldn't give up without a fight. my child would probably not appreciate it at that young age, but i think when he got older, he would appreciate my not giving up on him. this is all hypothetical, of course, and easy to answer. and if he lost his bid for emancipation, i would give him more freedom because that seems to be what is behind the desire to leave the parental home - more independence.

2. Lisa HW profile image82
    Lisa HWposted 7 years ago

I'm not afraid to say what I'd do.

If my own were a perfectly fine home, and the other home in question were not my child's other parent's; I would definitely keep on fighting until the child was 18.  Sometimes kids get it in their heads that someone else would be better to live with than their parent, who set limits.  So, in that case, I'd just make sure my child knew I wasn't about to go along with his moving out. 

If I were divorced and the other home were my child's other parent (and I knew his other parent was a good parent and solid person), then I would take my child's wishes into consideration.

Thank you very much.

2. queenbe profile image61

Thank you very much

working