jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

Someone is Impersonating HubPages

1. blessedmommy profile image90
    blessedmommyposted 8 years ago

I have received at least two separate e-mails that were supposed to be from HubPages that I know were not.  These e-mails look exactly like the ones that HubPages send out that tell your stats and features a Hubber.  The reason I know that they are not from HubPages is because my stats are way off, not even close to what they are.  They use real Hubbers names and if it wasn't for my stats being off, I would have been convinced.  These e-mails are coming to an e-mail address that I previously used for HubPages, but now have sinced changed e-mail addresses.  The real ones always come to the correct address and are accurate, of course.  Should I forward this e-mail to HubPages so that you can try to catch the imposter or delete it and forget it?

2. Stacie Naczelnik profile image89
    Stacie Naczelnikposted 8 years ago

Are they asking you for anything in the email?  Like, your password?

I would alert the hubpages team, for sure.

3. blessedmommy profile image90
    blessedmommyposted 8 years ago

These have several links that can be clicked on, but I've been afraid to click in case I get a virus.  The e-mails have been deleted, but I expect to get more, because this has happened two or three times.  How would I go about forwarding them to HubPages if I get another one?

4. Marisa Wright profile image92
    Marisa Wrightposted 8 years ago

I got one of these emails too.

5. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 8 years ago

You'll want to forward things like that to the Hub team for them to see.  Be sure to include what is called "full headers" as that will let them track down the culprits more easily.

6. pauldeeds profile image
    pauldeedsposted 8 years ago

I believe these emails were sent in error by our newsletter delivery service.   We have a different set of emails that go to unpublished authors.  Jason may follow up with more details, but I don't believe there is anything sinister going on here.  Feel free to forward on the emails to us if you like though.  We'd be happy to take a look just to be sure.

7. Jason Menayan profile image61
    Jason Menayanposted 8 years ago

Hey everyone,

Yes, this was sent by us. Topica, the service we've been using, accidentally sent out this test email (intended for new users who hadn't published anything yet) to everyone in our DB.

We are most likely moving to another delivery platform in the coming months, which will hopefully avoid hiccups like this from happening again, and will also allow us to include richer information and more personalized data than you see now.

So, in short, nothing sinister going on with this email smile

- Jason

1. blessedmommy profile image90
      blessedmommyposted 8 years ago in reply to this

This is good to know!  Thanks, Paul and Jason for the updates!